What Fitting'sare needed for a hard top

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

What Fitting'sare needed for a hard top

Post by peter2b »

I'm looking to fit a hard top to my z3 what fittings are needed I've seen some on ebay look like 2 flat nana shape with a few screws, is that all that's needed?
Peter2b
Thesurveyor

M roadster S50

Re: What Fitting'sare needed for a hard top

Post by Thesurveyor »

A search on here will turn up pictures I am sure....but there are two special pointy had headed screws to hold the front to the top of the screen (BMW still stock these). Then you take out ( a bit brutal) the foam packing space pieces from the areas around the hood frame mounting points. There are two chunky steel brackets in the kit that bolt into these areas and they are quite different to each other. The near side one has to work with your hood ram and it is the interface for the heated rear screen. Each bracket has an adjustable receiving hole that takes the spikes on the base of the hard top before a
a screw arrangement on the hard top levers then pulls it down tight. Loads of adjustment is possible and some on here have some plastic guide pieces to help.mget the clearances exactly right.
The tricky but is the HRW, the necessary electrical connections will be there but they can be difficult to find tucked away under the central arm rest and hand brake etc. Apparnetly even more difficult if you don't have an electric hood. Also you need a small piece of electrical loom to bridge between the car and the hard top. BMW don't supply this any more but if you can't source one then if push comes to shove you can make one easily enough (I did).
The pre and post facelift cars have very different HRW switches. These are expensive and all in all you may now be understanding why a good fitting kit costs almost the same as a hard top!
I've done it twice. It's quite easy really and well worth the trouble to get it right.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: What Fitting'sare needed for a hard top

Post by lightning »

Is the loom adaptor now obsolete? I bought mine a few months ago from BMW for under £20.

Also the HRW switch for my 2002 Z3 cost £28. As far as l am aware it's the brackets that cost the money....over £300 for all the parts needed.