New Seat Base Foams

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Lancsbob

blank

New Seat Base Foams

Post by Lancsbob »

Hi
I can feel the metal support starting to break through the foam but luckily the leather
hasn't split yet although there is a wear mark showing.
I have seen a Utube film repairing the foams but am wondering if there
are new seat base foams available?
Mines a Sport with heated seats, will there be a difference in the foams?

Cheers Bob
Althulas

M roadster S50

Re: New Seat Base Foams

Post by Althulas »

Have you thought of going to a trimmer and asking for a quote might not be as bad as you think. I don't know how far they are from you but just a quick google http://www.kewcoachtrimmers.co.uk
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Althulas wrote:Have you thought of going to a trimmer and asking for a quote might not be as bad as you think. I don't know how far they are from you but just a quick google http://www.kewcoachtrimmers.co.uk
Yes i have used these people before & was very pleased with their quality.

Thanks for that. Bob
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Hi, I made an enquiry to I think www.bmminiparts.com 18 months ago and they were able to get the foam seat bases for about £80 which I thought was a good price. If you get the part number off realoem and put it in the part enquiry form on bmminiparts website they get back to you very quickly with a yes/no on availability and price. Still haven`t got round to sorting it though. Hope this helps.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

alec.m wrote:Hi, I made an enquiry to I think http://www.bmminiparts.com 18 months ago and they were able to get the foam seat bases for about £80 which I thought was a good price. If you get the part number off realoem and put it in the part enquiry form on bmminiparts website they get back to you very quickly with a yes/no on availability and price. Still haven`t got round to sorting it though. Hope this helps.
Hi alec. What is the relevance of bmwminiparts when it is a Z3 that is in need of the parts ?

Was that each or for the two and don't forget there will be VAT on the top.
Polyurathane Foam prices have risen sharply over the last couple of years and I would guess that they would be now plus 10% at least.

A local upholsterer/trim shop would be getting a fabricated product rather than a moulded item for a fraction of that cost.
I would hazzard a guess that they would be under £15.00 per seat cushion which of course would also have a reduced VAT element.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

The clue is in the name bmmini - they do discounted bmw and mini parts, both are made by bmw now. Sports seats are quite a complex shape if you look at the shape of the bolster. The seat base and bolster are all from one piece. I thought price was ok if you want a good fit, just my opinion.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

alec.m wrote:The clue is in the name bmmini - they do discounted bmw and mini parts, both are made by bmw now. Sports seats are quite a complex shape if you look at the shape of the bolster. The seat base and bolster are all from one piece. I thought price was ok if you want a good fit, just my opinion.
Hi again Alec. The seat bases/foam interiors and or the backrest interiors are a moulded item but they can still be made up/replicated by fabricating them by hand.

That was how it was done long long before CAD CAM and computers were involved in production schedules.

Indeed,people like me with the skills and knowledge of cutting,sewing,fitting and completing the job from start to finish were the ones that carried out the prototype work prior to the products going into production.

Long before the days of CAD CAM we would prototype whole vehicles in a "wooden buck" using upholsters tacks and a magnetic hammer

Motor Trimming,Marine & Aircraft,Caravan and Motorhome work was all part and parcel of my trade and of my 31 years of Self Employment prior to retirement in November 2007.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:
alec.m wrote:The clue is in the name bmmini - they do discounted bmw and mini parts, both are made by bmw now. Sports seats are quite a complex shape if you look at the shape of the bolster. The seat base and bolster are all from one piece. I thought price was ok if you want a good fit, just my opinion.
Hi again Alec. The seat bases/foam interiors and or the backrest interiors are a moulded item but they can still be made up/replicated by fabricating them by hand.

That was how it was done long long before CAD CAM and computers were involved in production schedules.

Indeed,people like me with the skills and knowledge of cutting,sewing,fitting and completing the job from start to finish were the ones that carried out the prototype work prior to the products going into production.

Long before the days of CAD CAM we would prototype whole vehicles in a "wooden buck" using upholsters tacks and a magnetic hammer

Motor Trimming,Marine & Aircraft,Caravan and Motorhome work was all part and parcel of my trade and of my 31 years of Self Employment prior to retirement in November 2007.
I was thinking of trying this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH2VEautI7g

Buying a cheap hot wire cutter off ebay & some foam. Not sure where to get cheap foam though.

Bob
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Have a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH2VEautI7g

The seats are from a Z3 that belongs to a member on another forum.