Fog light switch playing up

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Fog light switch playing up

Post by grussell »

Just done a 75-point visual pre-MOT check prior to taking my baby for her test.

Found just one thing that it will definitely fail on. All lights work perfectly, BUT when I switch the rear fog lights on, they stay on and can't be switched off without a couple pushes of the button.

The front fog lights wont even turn on, when I press the front fog light button the front fog lights turn on but when I release my finger they just turn back off, so I assume it's the actual physical switch that is faulty.

Does any one know how I remove the fog light switch, is there a catch or something? Should I just pry it off with a flathead screwdriver?

Does any one know anything else the Z3 can fail on? Any common MOT failures that can't be inspected visually?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Fog light switch playing up

Post by Brian H »

You could pry out the switch but it may leave marks on the dash, If you drop the lower kick panel you can push it from behind.

Apart from the rear cross member/diff hanger in/under the boot failing I cannot think of anything that is specific to the Z regarding the MOT, just the usual thing.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Try sending a PM to Andy - Spurs fan in a coupe if you need replacement switches. I'm fairly sure he may be able to help you.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by grussell »

Brian H wrote:You could pry out the switch but it may leave marks on the dash, If you drop the lower kick panel you can push it from behind.

Apart from the rear cross member/diff hanger in/under the boot failing I cannot think of anything that is specific to the Z regarding the MOT, just the usual thing.
How do I drop the lower kick panel? Where is that, are there screws holding it in?

I think the switches need greasing up.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

There are 5 or 6 screws holding the kick panel in place, the screws have small caps on them to hide the screw heads. You can try and pop these off but they do not come off that easily, the simplest way is to use a small Philips driver and stab through the plastic caps, unscrew the screws with the caps in place.

From memory there are 7 small screws and two larger fixings in the lower footwell just above the pedals.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Items 1 & 2 on the diagram above are the two trim pieces. Item #2 - The "pedal" trim is held by 2 "twist lock" type fittings which only need a 90 degree turn to release. The trim also has 2 "L" shaped locating tabs. One on the edge along the gearbox tunnel and one on it's upper edge between the accel and brake pedal - roughly.
The upper trim (#1) has 6 screws. One on the end of the dash around the corner which is usually hidden when the door is closed. 3 along the line where the switches are. And two along the line where it joins the center console trim along the gearbox tunnel area.

In the diagram it describes a left hand drive (LHD) image,the same applies to RHD - but in reverse. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by grussell »

Right, brilliant!

I haven't even attempted this yet as I keep putting it off. Gonna try and do it tomorrow with the last of the summer weather.

So I need to take the #1 panel off right?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You need to take them both off. To get #1 off you need to take # 2 off first.
"Normal is overrated"

grussell

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by grussell »

Gosh...wish me luck!!
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Hi grussel,
I've got a spare working double fog lights switch hanging around. PM me if you're interested.
Boosh.
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

If you're local to Woking, surrey Ill help you if you like?
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".