First mod on my Orinoco, 17s or 18s ?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster

Moderator: Gazza

Post Reply
MpowerRob
Joined: Thu 13 Aug, 2015 20:36
Posts: 84

  Z3 roadster 2.8
Location: North London/Cockfosters

First mod on my Orinoco, 17s or 18s ?

Post by MpowerRob » Thu 20 Aug, 2015 18:55

So I'm looking to do the first mod on my Z3 Orinoco as factory 16s are just too small and don't fill the arches, keeping with the factory cross spoke look am looking at either 17" style 42 or 18" bbs lm style.

Would like some opinions on 1 difference in ride quality and 2 look.

I really like g8jka z3 and think it looks amazing but also like below with style 42s

http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/Bugsy ... 7.jpg.html

Dino D
Joined: Fri 10 Feb, 2012 16:59
Posts: 376

  Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: First mod on my Orinoco, 17s or 18s ?

Post by Dino D » Thu 20 Aug, 2015 20:10

I use 18's (Beyern Multis) and 17's BMW Style 78.

On smooth roads there is nothing in it and I prefer the 18's sharper response (lower harder sidewall), real shame I don't love in Germany..!
Back in the real world (UK) the 17's better and although less sharp due to more sidewall outright it's nice.

I love the looks of the 18 and the ride of the 17's so have both, 18's for summer and 17's for winter!

PS Nice colour you have, definitely needs some nice wheels to set it off.

Hairyscreech
Joined: Thu 16 Apr, 2015 13:08
Posts: 69

  Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: First mod on my Orinoco, 17s or 18s ?

Post by Hairyscreech » Fri 21 Aug, 2015 12:45

The sharpness you mention can be reclaimed with Z3M rear front control arm bushes and by using E30 wishbones without the rubber mounted ball joints. Both give significant flex.

Dino D
Joined: Fri 10 Feb, 2012 16:59
Posts: 376

  Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: First mod on my Orinoco, 17s or 18s ?

Post by Dino D » Fri 21 Aug, 2015 21:09

Hairyscreech wrote:The sharpness you mention can be reclaimed with Z3M rear front control arm bushes and by using E30 wishbones without the rubber mounted ball joints. Both give significant flex.
That's interesting.
I have Poweflex purple bushes and Meyle HD control arms. Not sure how these HD control arms compare with the e30 ones but they have beefier bushes I believe.
Hopefully they have plenty life still but come replacement time will look at it (maybe add caster as per M but that's a whole otter story!)
Also have a new set of BC Racing coilovers (6kg) and -1 degree negative camber so front is very sharp compared with stock which I think makes the difference between the higher sidewalls noticeable.
Anyway going back to the OP 'a questions:
With my sharpened set up the 17's are not sloppy just less sharp. Arguably better on real roads.
I should point out that if running stock suspension I'm not sure if he difference between 17 and 18 and the associated profiles will be that noticeable but I'm sure someone else can comment who has stock suspension.

User avatar
g8jka
Z Register member
Joined: Sun 18 Apr, 2010 22:16
Posts: 1147

  Z3 roadster 2.8
Location: Telford

Re: First mod on my Orinoco, 17s or 18s ?

Post by g8jka » Fri 21 Aug, 2015 22:06

Thanks, you have great taste!

Fortunately I have both of the sets you have mentioned and run the style 78's in winter and the LM reps in the summer. In terms of ride I don't find a massive difference between the 2, apart from the 18's are a little harsher on ride quality but this is probably down to the lower profile tyres. If you want to keep the car looking standard then go for the 78's but if you don't mind after market then go with the LM's.

I don't know if you will look at the LM reps (unless you go genuine) but you will have more choice if you go for these over style 78's and they will be brand new. Some people will warn you away from reps saying they are poor quality and not fit for purpose but I have run these on my zed for almost 5 years now and never had a problem. The only problem you will encounter is the lips tend to mark badly from road rash and water ingress under the lacquer, unless you keep on top of them and make sure they are regularly cleaned and waxed especially if you use them in the winter months.

Style 78's are a lot harder to come by and they will be second hand and maybe in need of a refurb. They will all be the same specifications and would benefit from a set of spacers to fill the arches a little. But then they are genuine and OEM which some say is the only way to go.

Both wheels are a PITA to clean normally but I keep mine waxed regularly which makes it a lot easier. The choice is down to you, but personally I don't think you will go wrong with either decision and both sets would look great on your zed.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Image
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal

linas888
Joined: Mon 11 Nov, 2013 22:20
Posts: 17

  Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: First mod on my Orinoco, 17s or 18s ?

Post by linas888 » Sat 25 Feb, 2017 10:00

Dino D wrote:
Hairyscreech wrote:The sharpness you mention can be reclaimed with Z3M rear front control arm bushes and by using E30 wishbones without the rubber mounted ball joints. Both give significant flex.
That's interesting.
I have Poweflex purple bushes and Meyle HD control arms. Not sure how these HD control arms compare with the e30 ones but they have beefier bushes I believe.
Hopefully they have plenty life still but come replacement time will look at it (maybe add caster as per M but that's a whole otter story!)
Also have a new set of BC Racing coilovers (6kg) and -1 degree negative camber so front is very sharp compared with stock which I think makes the difference between the higher sidewalls noticeable.
Anyway going back to the OP 'a questions:
With my sharpened set up the 17's are not sloppy just less sharp. Arguably better on real roads.
I should point out that if running stock suspension I'm not sure if he difference between 17 and 18 and the associated profiles will be that noticeable but I'm sure someone else can comment who has stock suspension.

Hi,
I'm looking to get coilovers for my z3 3.0l. I noticed you have BC for probably 2 years now. I would appreciate if you could share you experience over the time. Also, noticed you have PowerFlex bushes, are they ok, not noise? I'm trying to chose between Powerflex and SuperPro. Many thanks.

Dino D
Joined: Fri 10 Feb, 2012 16:59
Posts: 376

  Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: First mod on my Orinoco, 17s or 18s ?

Post by Dino D » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 00:05

linas888 wrote:
Dino D wrote:
Hairyscreech wrote:The sharpness you mention can be reclaimed with Z3M rear front control arm bushes and by using E30 wishbones without the rubber mounted ball joints. Both give significant flex.
That's interesting.
I have Poweflex purple bushes and Meyle HD control arms. Not sure how these HD control arms compare with the e30 ones but they have beefier bushes I believe.
Hopefully they have plenty life still but come replacement time will look at it (maybe add caster as per M but that's a whole otter story!)
Also have a new set of BC Racing coilovers (6kg) and -1 degree negative camber so front is very sharp compared with stock which I think makes the difference between the higher sidewalls noticeable.
Anyway going back to the OP 'a questions:
With my sharpened set up the 17's are not sloppy just less sharp. Arguably better on real roads.
I should point out that if running stock suspension I'm not sure if he difference between 17 and 18 and the associated profiles will be that noticeable but I'm sure someone else can comment who has stock suspension.

Hi,
I'm looking to get coilovers for my z3 3.0l. I noticed you have BC for probably 2 years now. I would appreciate if you could share you experience over the time. Also, noticed you have PowerFlex bushes, are they ok, not noise? I'm trying to chose between Powerflex and SuperPro. Many thanks.
Still very happy with the BC's. But beware, do not order the 6kg rear spring the lay usually supply, you need 8kg rears (I have 6kg fronts). The 6kg rears were too soft and bottomed out. The 8kg is good and you can run a pretty soft damper setting with them for cruising and stiffen up as you like. I find the adjustable damping really useful and use that feature depending on roads, wheels size and if winter or summer (running softer fronts in the winter gives a better bite).
If you want to seriously low i.e. Slammed then the 8kg might not work for you but you can speak to BC about a shorter 8kg if you want super low. You can see some pics and plenty discussion when I did this here: https://zroadster.org/threads/project-d ... 735/page-5

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 6 guests