BMW Z3 Changing Leather gaiters

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

BMW Z3 Changing Leather gaiters

Post by thompy93 »

Hi

First post here!

Happy owner of a BMW Z3 1.8 1997, a bit of stuff here and there that needs some shining.
The sticthing on the leather cover around the gear knob is starting to go up, so I ordered a new knob, and a kit with new leather covers for gear and handbrake.
I know how to change the leather covers and knobs for the gear, but that includes tearing up the OEM leather from the plastic frame that holds it down in place, which i really like to avoid if possible.
Anyone know where to find these plastic frames? Ive tried searching Ebay for gaiter frames, gear frames etc..

Also, is it the same procedure for the hand brake as well? Regarding the plastic frame, and removing the handbrake knob.

:rtm:

EDIT: Got a reply from the seller with instructions, if anyone else is wondering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfoTc9K7Vfo

But he couldnt help me with the plastic frame.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: BMW Z3 Changing Leather gaiters

Post by BladeRunner919 »

You can't buy the plastics separately - just buy a used one and take the leather off it, eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-E36-Bl ... 33969a09b7
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The leather pulls off the plastic frame fairly easily. Just pry it up with a round tipped knife to get it started, and work your way around. Some contact glue will secure the new leather gaiter effectively. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

Thanks for tips and links. Will try taking off the old leather then :)
thompy93

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by thompy93 »

Changing leather around the gear was pretty straight forward, no glue or anything needed, big plus.

The handbrake cover was a bit more frustrating, as it was universal for most Bmw's, so i had to stuff the leather down on the sides while pushing the frame half way down :head: Took some time. Guess i have to work on it some more to make it look better.

aaand the OEM parts