Fitting an air con unit.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
1950cannon

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Fitting an air con unit.

Post by 1950cannon »

My Z3 hasn't got air conditioning. Is there anyone in the Norfolk area that can supply and fit one for me or is it even possible? It's a 2002 2.2.
Thanks for any help or advice you can give. Chris.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Fitting an air con unit.

Post by Brian H »

Chris,

You may be able to pick up the parts second hand, but fitting would be very difficult, as well as fitting the AC Compressor and associated pipe work under the bonnet, the whole heater assembly inside the car under the dashboard would need to be changed also. IMO it would not be cost effective to install.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

It can be fitted, probably the easiest way is to get all the parts from a z3 being scrapped.

If you look here on realoem is shows all the parts in the aircon system
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp ... _30i&mg=64

Replacement heater unit, evaporator, compressor, hoses, aircon radiator and fan.

Edit Brian beat me to it again
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

How attached are you to your Z3 and how good an example is it?

It might be more cost effective to sell it and buy one with aircon, if you really want it.
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

It might be more cost effective to pop the roof down ...............................
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Well said Julie... :lol:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
1950cannon

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by 1950cannon »

Thanks for all your advice. Seems a helluva job. I'll drop the roof as Julie says!
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

I applied for a job once retro-fitting air con into brand new cars on behalf of franchised dealers.
They expected me to fit two or three a week and maybe an extra one by doing overtime if there was a long commute from the head office.
I never took the job for several reasons but it gives an idea of how much labour is required to install a system in a car without air con. There is a lot more to it than the bits you can see under the bonnet!

I do have to admit though that I would not buy a car without air con. Sitting in my Z in traffic a few weeks ago when we had those hot days (37 degrees C apparently!) was uncomfortable even with the top down until I pressed that little snowflake button! If you use your car in the wet or in the winter you will never look back once you have had air con.

As lightning says unless there is a particular reason to keep your current car the best option is to swap it for a Z with air con already fitted. There are lots around especially at the end of summer time.