Car cover or not?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster

Moderator: Gazza

Post Reply
thompy93
Joined: Fri 21 Aug, 2015 20:01
Posts: 54

  Z3 roadster 1.8
Contact:

Car cover or not?

Post by thompy93 » Tue 01 Sep, 2015 19:54

Hi

Just moved from an house with a double garage to a place without any garage at all to store my Z. So i was wondering, I got a polyester car cover which im using for the first time at the moment. I cant keep the car clean at all times when i take the cover over, so im a little worried about scratches, and condensation, since the cover isnt totally waterproof, just water repellent. Is it just better to keep the cover off then? Anyone? :o

User avatar
Gazza
Site Admin
Joined: Tue 04 Oct, 2005 21:58
Posts: 9200

  M roadster S54
Location: East London/Essex

Re: Car cover or not?

Post by Gazza » Tue 01 Sep, 2015 20:21

I would leave the cover off.

I have used covers in the past and any long term use can cause micro blisters in the paint.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Mustang Fastback

ImageImage

Dino D
Joined: Fri 10 Feb, 2012 16:59
Posts: 376

  Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Car cover or not?

Post by Dino D » Tue 01 Sep, 2015 23:11

When I had a leaky soft top I used the half cover (waterproof) by classic additions:
https://www.classicadditions.com/car-co ... -half.html

The straps help you pull it tight and there is minimal contact with the paint, just where the straps come down and a bit over the bootlid. So a quick wipe of those areas keeps scratches to a minimum (and can be further helped by polishing those areas more frequently.

therealdb1
Joined: Tue 25 Jun, 2013 22:47
Posts: 244

  Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Car cover or not?

Post by therealdb1 » Tue 01 Sep, 2015 23:30

That's a bad move!
Just watched one of those house hunting programmes on TV where the 'expert' was getting really frustrated with the guy looking to buy a house since he was putting more priority on the garage / workshop facilities for his Land Rovers than the living accommodation.
I guess there are several on here who understand where he is coming from; well perhaps not for the Land Rovers!

thompy93
Joined: Fri 21 Aug, 2015 20:01
Posts: 54

  Z3 roadster 1.8
Contact:

Re: Car cover or not?

Post by thompy93 » Wed 02 Sep, 2015 03:38

Just got home from work and found the cover half way off, since one of the straps wasnt secured enough :bawl: Been raining like hell here today. The top keeps the rain off, but there is a sealing that is leaking, right over the passenger seat. Known issue?

siwilson
Joined: Fri 19 Jun, 2009 10:54
Posts: 782

  M roadster S54
Location: Horley

Re: Car cover or not?

Post by siwilson » Wed 02 Sep, 2015 08:15

thompy93 wrote:Just got home from work and found the cover half way off, since one of the straps wasnt secured enough :bawl: Been raining like hell here today. The top keeps the rain off, but there is a sealing that is leaking, right over the passenger seat. Known issue?
Yes, common issue. Unfortunately the rubbers get hard over time and don't seal so well. I found this out a couple of weeks back when I got a wet butt :)

Gummi Pflege is what I use to restore the rubber. I used this last week and had no leaks in this weekends downpour. I probably need to do this proactively every 6 months now.

Si.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue

thompy93
Joined: Fri 21 Aug, 2015 20:01
Posts: 54

  Z3 roadster 1.8
Contact:

Re: Car cover or not?

Post by thompy93 » Wed 02 Sep, 2015 12:23

siwilson wrote:
thompy93 wrote:Just got home from work and found the cover half way off, since one of the straps wasnt secured enough :bawl: Been raining like hell here today. The top keeps the rain off, but there is a sealing that is leaking, right over the passenger seat. Known issue?
Yes, common issue. Unfortunately the rubbers get hard over time and don't seal so well. I found this out a couple of weeks back when I got a wet butt :)

Gummi Pflege is what I use to restore the rubber. I used this last week and had no leaks in this weekends downpour. I probably need to do this proactively every 6 months now.

Si.

Thanks, ordered one from micks garage. No permanent solution, except changing seals?

User avatar
BladeRunner919
Joined: Fri 17 Feb, 2012 20:18
Posts: 2221

  Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Car cover or not?

Post by BladeRunner919 » Wed 02 Sep, 2015 12:47

You can adjust the hooks that latch the roof into place to tighten up the joint.

thompy93
Joined: Fri 21 Aug, 2015 20:01
Posts: 54

  Z3 roadster 1.8
Contact:

Re: Car cover or not?

Post by thompy93 » Wed 02 Sep, 2015 21:26

I had to thread the hook to get it tighter. First it was too tight, so the rubber squished abit, so it still leaked. Took it one turn out, and seems it fits like a glove now, but didnt have time for testing it properly. Ive ordered the Gummi pflege anyway, just to be safe. 8-)

User avatar
TomH84
Joined: Sun 15 Dec, 2013 15:22
Posts: 110

  Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Car cover or not?

Post by TomH84 » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 17:48

IMHO you don't need to cover a Zed. Many other things will kill it before the rain does. Just keep her very clean and waxed. Once a month is my routine. Also worth treating the roof annually with Renovo protector - great stuff, just keep it off the seats/trim etc. A cover is only useful i think if you like somewhere with a tree sap problem or similar. That can be a pain to wash / polish out all the time.

If you've got a leaking roof, then best to work on that problem. The Zed should be watertight. Maybe some rubber restorer to the seals and, as other suggest, some adjustment to the latches?

Tom
2002 BMW Z3 2.2i 82k
Image
1971(K) MGB GT - the 'other' car
Image

thompy93
Joined: Fri 21 Aug, 2015 20:01
Posts: 54

  Z3 roadster 1.8
Contact:

Re: Car cover or not?

Post by thompy93 » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 19:21

TomH84 wrote:IMHO you don't need to cover a Zed. Many other things will kill it before the rain does. Just keep her very clean and waxed. Once a month is my routine. Also worth treating the roof annually with Renovo protector - great stuff, just keep it off the seats/trim etc. A cover is only useful i think if you like somewhere with a tree sap problem or similar. That can be a pain to wash / polish out all the time.

If you've got a leaking roof, then best to work on that problem. The Zed should be watertight. Maybe some rubber restorer to the seals and, as other suggest, some adjustment to the latches?

Tom
I hate seeing my Z dirty, so I wash "her" once a week perhaps, and polished and waxed once a month. Also washed, cleaned and used protection on the soft top twice this summer already, so the water always peels off. Its only the rubber parts on the passenger side that is leaking as far as i know. Adjusted the latches and waiting for rubber restorer as we speak, but it was extreme weather the last few nights when i used the cover. Made some scratches that ill take away with Autoglym paint renovator :cry:

Can recommend Autoglym Convertible Soft Top Clean & Protect. Works like a charm.

Rafolian
Joined: Wed 27 Feb, 2013 08:41
Posts: 547

  Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Car cover or not?

Post by Rafolian » Thu 03 Sep, 2015 21:20

I have had my Zed for over 3 years now in Spain. It goes thro ' the auto car wash every 3 or 4 weeks and lives in the driiveway (the carport's for the motorbikes!). When it does rain in Spain it's usually torrential and never had a drop get in.
I have 2 car covers, one which I used to use on a previous 944 S2 Porsche and that did more harm than good to the paintwork, with the wind and condensation. Bottom line, never used a cover on the zed in over 3 years and paintwork still mint for a 17 year old car!

thompy93
Joined: Fri 21 Aug, 2015 20:01
Posts: 54

  Z3 roadster 1.8
Contact:

Re: Car cover or not?

Post by thompy93 » Fri 04 Sep, 2015 05:30

Well. The the test i did tonight worked, and Couldnt see any water. But no cover could save the car from the flood that hit the house tonight. Luckily it was parked Elsewhere :D

peter2b
Joined: Sat 01 Nov, 2014 18:47
Posts: 949

  Z3 roadster 2.2i
Location: cheshire

Re: Car cover or not?

Post by peter2b » Fri 04 Sep, 2015 15:33

When I'm not driving her she lives in my men's shed nice and dry
Peter2b

thompy93
Joined: Fri 21 Aug, 2015 20:01
Posts: 54

  Z3 roadster 1.8
Contact:

Re: Car cover or not?

Post by thompy93 » Sat 12 Sep, 2015 20:00

Well. Tonight it happened again. Used gummi pfledge and tighten ed the latches. Heavy rain came today and went Straigth through on the passende side. What did i do wrong? I trusted you guys :bawl:
Work some more with the pfledge and tighten more i guess?

Del
Joined: Sat 19 Nov, 2011 18:35
Posts: 2122

  Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Car cover or not?

Post by Del » Sat 12 Sep, 2015 21:43

In my experience whilst there is a lot of debate about the need to "condition" the rubber seals above the doors, the more common cause of water entry in that area are the "bungs" at the top of the windscreen pillars - the leaking water tending to travel along the side and drip on the side of the seats.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 12#p345112

thompy93
Joined: Fri 21 Aug, 2015 20:01
Posts: 54

  Z3 roadster 1.8
Contact:

Re: Car cover or not?

Post by thompy93 » Sat 12 Sep, 2015 23:05

Thanks. Will take a look into it asap as we are expecting heavy rain the next few days. Just gotta try and fail to get it right. Atleast you opened up some possibilites to fix it.

User avatar
elwood158
Joined: Thu 17 Mar, 2011 12:05
Posts: 37

  M roadster S50
Location: melbourne

Re: Car cover or not?

Post by elwood158 » Sun 13 Sep, 2015 12:36

I've found a plastic cover can give the duco micro scratches over time right where the corners, edges rub against the cover.... also when sunny, it can sweat underneath.... which is not good if moisture sits under there awhile.

The other problem is when you put the cover on when the car is dirty, then you have grime rubbing across the duco as well....

So, I've just tended to wash it more regularly, keep it in the shade as best you can but not under trees that drop ****... and when clean, whack the cover on.

If feel your pain as I love a clean Zed!!

Elwood
1999 M Roadster (S50)
Porsche 911 RS hotrod

thompy93
Joined: Fri 21 Aug, 2015 20:01
Posts: 54

  Z3 roadster 1.8
Contact:

Re: Car cover or not?

Post by thompy93 » Sun 13 Sep, 2015 20:38

elwood158 wrote:I've found a plastic cover can give the duco micro scratches over time right where the corners, edges rub against the cover.... also when sunny, it can sweat underneath.... which is not good if moisture sits under there awhile.

The other problem is when you put the cover on when the car is dirty, then you have grime rubbing across the duco as well....

So, I've just tended to wash it more regularly, keep it in the shade as best you can but not under trees that drop ****... and when clean, whack the cover on.

If feel your pain as I love a clean Zed!!

Elwood
I think I managed to seal a small hole in the rubber (fig 3) with a tiny amout of terostat. So hopefully the car cover wont be used again :) Since the car is waxed and polished reguarly I can do a non-touch fast wash since the water just peels off. Just have to use compressed air to get all the water drops off, since they put some limestone/chalk in the water which stays behind on the car if the water dries on it, leaving white circles all over :roll:

Image

thompy93
Joined: Fri 21 Aug, 2015 20:01
Posts: 54

  Z3 roadster 1.8
Contact:

Re: Car cover or not?

Post by thompy93 » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 00:24

Hi again

As the weather is starting to get colder Im struggling with some condesation.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kr6qpXxJCo
If you watch this video I got the same issue, with humid air (not any water coming in though) getting in there. Is the seal supposed to be glued to the soft top all the way? It doesnt leak water, but i can push my fingers through it :roll:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 9 guests