On Board Computer

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Skidmore2015

Z3 roadster 2.8

On Board Computer

Post by Skidmore2015 »

Hi All,

The OBC of my Z3 is currently displaying PPP, is this something which can be programmed to function again or is it simply broken and needing to be replaced?

Hopefully somebody can help... Thanks :)
Thesurveyor

M roadster S50

Re: On Board Computer

Post by Thesurveyor »

Had this with my first 2.8 Z and.............................its broken I'm afraid.
If you search you will find all sorts of witchcraft about removing and replacing certain fuses but it does not work and your time will be better spent getting on to Andy (spursfaninacoupe) or similar to find a new (old) one. An easy fit once you have it and all info plus the clock comes back as intended.
Skidmore2015

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Skidmore2015 »

Thesurveyor wrote:Had this with my first 2.8 Z and.............................its broken I'm afraid.
If you search you will find all sorts of witchcraft about removing and replacing certain fuses but it does not work and your time will be better spent getting on to Andy (spursfaninacoupe) or similar to find a new (old) one. An easy fit once you have it and all info plus the clock comes back as intended.

Thanks for the reply, what kind of costs are involved in a new (old) one?
Thesurveyor

M roadster S50

Post by Thesurveyor »

I remember having to phone around quite a few breakers before finding one in Scotland (I'm in Kent). About £40 I think from memory
Antm72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Antm72 »

I can comfirm its broken mine was the same and very little shows on line regarding the fault.
I brought a second hand one for £35 and it now works fine
leahandsteve

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by leahandsteve »

Hairyscreech

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hairyscreech »

If your current OBC is going to be put into the bin then I would be interested in taking a look at it, similar issues happen with the E30 and E34 where the OBC blows a capacitor and this destroys a track on the PCB, the result is the OBC will light and switch modes but not actually process any data.

Perhaps this is now happening on the E36 generation cars.