a couple of questions......

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

a couple of questions......

Post by Mugs »

i have a 1.9 auto pre-face.
the other day when i was trial fitting the gear surround i got from southernboy, i disconnected the sports switch and i just realised today that i must have forgotten to plug it back in as i have no function on the switch.
the weird thing is, the MPG seems to have gone up dramatically. anyone know of any reason this would happen? (it wasn't stuck in sport mode and worked perfectly when connected)
my other question is: will it do any harm if i leave it disconnected as i am removing the plastic gear lever surround and fitting a leather gator from a manual and it will save me having to re-position the switch? ( i have to do this to enable me to use the polished surround)

also, on a different note, i found that if i drive with my right hand above the steering wheel horizontal spoke and my left hand below the spoke (3 spoke wheel), i don't feel the tramlining that i do when both hands are opposite each other........weird or what? :?
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: a couple of questions......

Post by lightning »

By disconnecting the switch (did you disconnect the battery before pulling connectors off?) you've probably reset the ECU memory.
The fuel consumption will be different while the ECU re-learns engine settings.

This used to happen on my Transit Connect van, after the battery had had been disconnected the fuel consumption went from 33 to 38mpg for a couple hundred miles.

Regarding the tramlining effect, by driving with your left hand below the spoke on the wheel you will be putting a little pressure on the steering in a right hand turn direction, probably cancelled out by road camber, and it's somehow stopping the tramlining.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

A couple of tanks ago, during a service, I had my battery disconnected and the fuel economy has tanked (pun intended). 27mpg to 24mpg.
Will it climb back or should I be looking for another cause?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

BonBon wrote:A couple of tanks ago, during a service, I had my battery disconnected and the fuel economy has tanked (pun intended). 27mpg to 24mpg.
Will it climb back or should I be looking for another cause?
I'd be looking for another cause. Even 27mpg is poor for a 4-cylinder.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Even for an Auto with mediocre local 95 Octane? (Mix of Urban and Highway)
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

lightning wrote:By disconnecting the switch (did you disconnect the battery before pulling connectors off?) you've probably reset the ECU memory.
The fuel consumption will be different while the ECU re-learns engine settings.

This used to happen on my Transit Connect van, after the battery had had been disconnected the fuel consumption went from 33 to 38mpg for a couple hundred miles.

Regarding the tramlining effect, by driving with your left hand below the spoke on the wheel you will be putting a little pressure on the steering in a right hand turn direction, probably cancelled out by road camber, and it's somehow stopping the tramlining.
no, i didn't disconnect the battery so it shouldn't have reset the ecu.
well, it seems to be performing without the switch so i guess i'll leave it off, after all, the sport mode isn't used much at all.
Hairyscreech

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hairyscreech »

Is there a possibility that your switch was faulty and the car was stuck in/out of sport mode?

Have you tested the switch?
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

Hairyscreech wrote:Is there a possibility that your switch was faulty and the car was stuck in/out of sport mode?

Have you tested the switch?
no, it was working fine and has been tested now it's off. in sport mode it holds the revs a lot longer before changing gear so it's really obvious when it has been selected.