Wheel size

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
steve.storey

blank

Wheel size

Post by steve.storey »

Can anyone tell me what are the largest wheels that can be fitted to the z3. im looking at a set of 19"steggered
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Wheel size

Post by Southernboy »

The wheel diameter size is relatively unimportant since the tyre size must reduce in wall height (low profile) to compensate so that the actual complete diameter remains the same as if you were using a smaller wheel but higher tyre profile. ie. the perceived aesthetics is the benefit.
The most severe consequence is the ride comfort. The lower the profile, the harder the ride since the low profile tyre wall cannot flex as much as a higher profile. From my experience, 18" seems to be the limit between appearance and comfort. My 18" wheels have the tyre pressure slightly below recommended to provide more ride comfort. I only inflate them to 2.1 Bar (kpa). You will need to consider the offset though, and possibly fit spacers to clear the suspension struts etc. with a wider wheel which may come with the larger diameter. Also, the wider wheel may interfere with the wheel arches. So perhaps you should try before buying to ensure you can still drive the car without damage.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions