New bloke wanting your kind help!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Papman007

BMW other

New bloke wanting your kind help!

Post by Papman007 »

Afternoon all,
Been hovering in the sidelines thinking, looking, reading and researching like you do. Just about persuaded the better half that I need to get rid of my practical BMW 1-Series for a convertible as winter approaches... Now then, I have been looking for some time and getting an idea on prices and specs which I must say vary wildly! Being middle aged, well a bit past I suppose now, and needing a daily drive to get me to and from work which is about an 8 mile round trip I want your advice.

I have considers all the 6 cylinders and do believe the 2.2 is the best/most modern/ reliable but please correct me if I am wrong! However, I have seen some stunning 2.8's on the classified and eBay, one with 125,000 on the clock but looks brilliant with only a tiny bit of rust on wheelarch which I understand is common enough for around £2k. Would you touch something with that mileage as a daily drive? I have also seen 2.2's with 65,000 on for £6k - love the blue! And as a curve ball a stunning looking 3.0 but is cat D but fully documented repair so actually has potential and I have a friend who could give it a very thorough once over. Also a stunning black 2.2 but auto for £5.5, but am I ready for leaving the driving and not healing and toeing?! Is the auto poor?
So over to you. Do I worry about the mileage - and yes I want fsh - what engine? Manual or auto?
Honest answers from your own experience much appreciated
I live in South Manchester so don't want to be travelling 100 miles + for a car really unless it's exceptional by the way!
Thanks
Stef
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: New bloke wanting your kind help!

Post by peter2b »

I've a 2.2 z3 that I rescued as a cat C. I find its one of the best cars I've had she's a 6 pot Manuel does about 30 +mpg
Peter 2b
Papman007

BMW other

Post by Papman007 »

That's good to hear Peter. I have never had cat C before so would be ultra careful if I went that route. I know insurance can be trickier and then selling on but if it's done well and has detailed history of the repair it has possibilities!
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

125K on a 2.8 is nothing if it's been regularily serviced. I have owned many 6pot Beemers (and 4pot) some with twice that mileage and running like new. Before my Zed, I had an E46 328CI auto with same motor as my Zed, and it had almost 170K and ran perfectly!
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Mine is a 2.8 and I love it every time I go out in it. I wouldn't worry too much about high mileage providing that the car has been looked after. There are a few cars on this site with over 200,000 miles on and still going strong.
A lot of the time the car you buy is down to your personal choices, some might like an automatic where others wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Some like the 6 pots for the sound and power, but there are plenty get great pleasure and enjoyment from the four pots.
Drive as many as you can and then make a decision, but when I test drove mine I was hooked straight away. :D
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

cat c - d it wouldn't bother me as I rarely sell on cars, I tend to drive it till it dies (except for my z which will run for ever and I wouldn't sell it anyway), if you plan on keeping it then they could be a real bargain.
Papman007

BMW other

Post by Papman007 »

Thanks so much for the replies so far. Do you all use them daily?
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

yep, all year, commuting mostly except at weekends, if its dry the roof goes down even in winter :) unless its REALLY cold :lol:
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

I have a post 200kmile 1.9L (320kkm). Bought it at 100kmile and it's my daily drive.
If you read carefully through all the ailments (and I've had the vast majority), you will find that they are all age related and not mileage. In my case it is exasperated by my non garaged hot environment that is hard for the rubber & plastic materials over the 17 years since manufacture. When I get used replacement parts from the UK they seem less weathered :-)
If you keep and eye on the oil, water and temp levels you'll be OK for a long while.
The only thing that is mileage and driver related is the boot welds which you can view before the purchase.
You'll enjoy every minute and this super forum will help you sort out any issues - while even help you source the parts.
Welcome.
Last edited by BonBon on Sat 12 Sep, 2015 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
Wavesong

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wavesong »

I may be biased but, don't rule out the 2.0 six. Its a fine car and a lovely engine the soundtrack of which, I never tire of. Good luck with the hunt. You will know the right car when you see it.
Papman007

BMW other

Post by Papman007 »

Thanks all. Any more comments are welcome!
Stef
Robz3sport

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Robz3sport »

I've just bought a 2.2, I love the power and the sound of it, it has 132000 miles on it, but the history that came with it shows it was well serviced and well cared for.
6 pot roadster

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 6 pot roadster »

I am reluctantly offering my 2.8 for sale, (see stock exchange) it has been a daily driver for very nearly 6 years.
With a K&N panel filter it will average well over 30 mpg on lanes and town traffic. It has been the most reliable and fun car I have owned by a significant margin. I'm not sure I would have kept it so long if it didn't have the power and especially the torque of the 2.8 engine.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Hi Stef, I would recommend the 2.8 for its wide torque band. You can pootle around at 30-40mph in 4th, give it some gas and it pulls like a train. 5th gear is just as tractable. Through the gears you can fly, peak torque comes in at around 3600 rpm, so you only need to rev it to about 5600 rpm for full acceleration.
Cheers,
Bonzo
Last edited by Bonzo on Tue 22 Sep, 2015 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Or even better, try a 3.0! Absolute honey of an engine.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

As you've no doubt noticed, everyone will recommend the Z3 variant that they have! Basically, they're all great. They have different characteristics but (coupes aside, of course) they all share the all-important big smile when the roof is down! And coupes are great for other reasons.
Papman007

BMW other

Post by Papman007 »

lightning wrote:Or even better, try a 3.0! Absolute honey of an engine.
Thanks for that lightening! :)

You are all giving me food for thought, thanks very much!
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

lightning wrote:Or even better, try a 3.0! Absolute honey of an engine.
Oh yeah, agreed, but you can only get the 3.0 litre in the ass lift version, and I prefer the original wide bodied variant! 8-)

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

peter2b wrote:I've a 2.2 z3 that I rescued as a cat C. I find its one of the best cars I've had she's a 6 pot Manuel does about 30 +mpg
Peter 2b
From Spain is she? :lol: