Brake bleeding issue, soft pedal

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Hairyscreech

Z3 roadster 2.8

Brake bleeding issue, soft pedal

Post by Hairyscreech »

Afternoon all.

Got a bit of a brake issue that is driving me up the wall now. Just had to overhaul the rear brakes and in the process air quite obviously got into the system, my brake pedal before hand was about an inch or two higher than the accelerator and now after a couple of bleeds it is still soft and bites level with the accelerator pedal, so I know it's not in my head. :dunce:

To bleed them I have bled it one with the pressure bleeder, one with the pressure bleeder activating the ABS via pins 30/87 on the ASC relay (as advised for the E36), once using INPA to activate the ABS solenoids and once again manually/with assistance from the pressure bleeder. In total I have put 2l of fluid through the system. I have also given it hell activating the ABS on a quiet road last night to stationary several times before bleeding it again today.

The car stops fine but the pedal feel is just shite and soft. It seems to bite in the same place as before but has an additional 2" of spongy travel.

The Internet would suggest that there is air in the ABS or lines, but I just can't see how this can be now. The only thing I have not done is the bleed procedure via DIS as I have not set it up yet.

Anyone got any ideas before I drive the thing into a hedge and leave it there? :head: :evil:

Edit - just to quantify, overhaul was a new RL caliper and a complete set of new lines at the rear from the hard lines that run under the car back, hand brake was done as well. Driving me nuts as i have the same brake set up on the E30 with no issues at all, bleed just fine first time.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Brake bleeding issue, soft pedal

Post by gookah »

dodgy main seal in new calliper?. i would be tempted to fit the old on back on and see if it gets the feel back.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

I recently read on another forum of a similar issue, turned out to be the master cylinder seals had gone, no issue before bleeding but the master cylinder failed during the bleeding cycle.

Before you get to that stage though you could flush the brake system with a coloured brake fluid, this will ensure that the complete lines have new fluid (you see it coming out in to your catch can) and give you the piece of mind that there is no air in there.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I had this when l replaced the rear calipers on my van, brakes were fine but spongy pedal, after a few days of driving it went OK.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

gookah wrote:dodgy main seal in new calliper?. i would be tempted to fit the old on back on and see if it gets the feel back.
I agree with Gookah - good simple logic (the logic not Gookah :D ). I've bought faulty parts from both BMW and elsewhere. Often the boxes from these motor parts suppliers have been opened which can very occasionally mean they have been sent and returned from other garages and one never quite knows whether they have been fitted or "played around with".
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Have you bled all ,4brakes, had that on my old tin top only changed 1 brake cylinder but had to bleed all 4
Peter2b