Winter time again and refitting the hard-top.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Winter time again and refitting the hard-top.

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

Hi to you all out there. Well it is that time of the year again - Hardtop Fitting Time.

Last year I had the top fitted and there was a faint mark left between the positions of the two blocks that are permanently attached,at first I thought that it was ingress of dust/dirt from using a jet washer albeit there was never a leak.
Before I refit the hardtop for this winter I wanted to ask - what do the gauges look like and is it really necessary to have them ?
If not - then were is the required gap measured from ?

Coincidentally - I had suffered a crack rear spring and a misplaced rear roll bar on the same side as the clunk appeared to be coming from,is it possible that they were all linked and that replacing the spring and relocating the roll bar will have fixed the issue ?
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Winter time again and refitting the hard-top.

Post by peter2b »

I'm looking at getting a hard top got my eye on one but what bolts and sizes do you need to hold it on
peter2b
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

peter2b wrote:I'm looking at getting a hard top got my eye on one but what bolts and sizes do you need to hold it on
peter2b

Hi Peter. It is not just the nuts and bolts that are needed,the fitting kit is considerably more involved than that. Have a look on E'bay at item number 221901120706
This is only a part of the kit that is required to fit the hardtop. and already upto £290.00 and still 4days to go.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

cheers I will have a look
peter2b
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Assume this is the kit being mentioned above?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-Z3M-HA ... 1431683611

This kit looks as if it contains most of what you can expect to receive with these 2nd hand kits removed from old cars. 2 X long torx bolts for the front and red tool to tighten them, 2 X rear brackets, 4 X bolts to attach the rear brackets, 2 X covers to cover the rear brackets and the electrical loom extension to connect the HRW. Ideally you also need a HRW switch which differs for pre and post facelift cars. Facelift HRW switches fit to the switches on the lower dash and the pre-facelift switch fits in place of the small "cubby hole" behind the handbrake - a weird place for such a switch in my view.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Del wrote:Assume this is the kit being mentioned above?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-Z3M-HA ... 1431683611

This kit looks as if it contains most of what you can expect to receive with these 2nd hand kits removed from old cars. 2 X long torx bolts for the front and red tool to tighten them, 2 X rear brackets, 4 X bolts to attach the rear brackets, 2 X covers to cover the rear brackets and the electrical loom extension to connect the HRW. Ideally you also need a HRW switch which differs for pre and post facelift cars. Facelift HRW switches fit to the switches on the lower dash and the pre-facelift switch fits in place of the small "cubby hole" behind the handbrake - a weird place for such a switch in my view.

If its a facelift car you will also need to fit the unloader relay (fitting kits are universal across the range)
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal