The Kit/Bits and pieces to raise the Z3 seat front.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

The Kit/Bits and pieces to raise the Z3 seat front.

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

Hi to you all out there.

I have a problem that there must be a way around (other than growing a further 8" ) BUT who else has had it and how did you overcome it ?
Being 4' 10" does create some interesting issues.

My Z3 seat was to low at the back even when fully raised on the adjustment switch so I bought some longer bolts and proceeded to raise the back of the seat BUT BUT BUT that created another problem. The backrest has limited recline and a happy medium is just not happening SO I figured that the front could do with lifting to compensate and give me back some of the lost reclining angle of the backrest.
WRONG WRONG WRONG,the front is fitted over two short studs and hardly enough to lift that would make any difference.

QUESTION :-- Is there an adapter/double threaded bush that will allow the front to be lifted and enable the whole seat to be raised but with the rear still being a little higher than the default position ?

I currently have the seat raised at the rear by an amount equal to 30mm by simply using longer bolts and and passing them through 3 hexagonal nut that then act as spacers,but that restricts the amount of recline in the backrest.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: The Kit/Bits and pieces to raise the Z3 seat front.

Post by Brian4 »

Southernboy does a kit to raise the front of the seat, but why do you not lower the rear of the seat. use 15mm spacers rather than 30mm. The kit Southerboy does I think include taper washers so that there is full contact between the seat rails and the floor of the car to take account of the change in angle of the seat compared to standard.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Brian4 wrote:Southernboy does a kit to raise the front of the seat, but why do you not lower the rear of the seat. use 15mm spacers rather than 30mm. The kit Southerboy does I think include taper washers so that there is full contact between the seat rails and the floor of the car to take account of the change in angle of the seat compared to standard.
Hi Brian. The seat at 30mm lifted on the rear edge is at present high enough that I can just see over the binnicle and the top edge of the steering wheel. The hexagonal nuts are 10mm thick so it is 3 deep giving the 30mm.
Even with the seat at the highest point using the electric lift and the 30mm spacers it is just high enough but the angle of the backrest is a little to high/upright.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Now I understand why you want the front raised as well. Send Southernboy a PM he may have some in stock or could sort you some out.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Brian4 wrote:Now I understand why you want the front raised as well. Send Southernboy a PM he may have some in stock or could sort you some out.
Hi Brian. I did say that in my initial post - but yes I will do just that.
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

simple - Image
:lol: :lol: :lol: sorry couldn't help myself
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hi John
I have sent you a PM to your question.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

littlefeller wrote:simple - Image
:lol: :lol: :lol: sorry couldn't help myself
Hi littlefeller. Smart-arsees I can cope :lol: with but clever-arses that don't read the post - I don't think so :head: :rtm:
The problem is not one of overall insufficient height it is of the front only being a bit to low having already raised the back.

I suppose the your forum ID alludes to the fact that you are actually seen by others as being quite the opposite and you are infact 6' 6"+ Ho Ho Ho.

The bolster seat cushion would be totally inadequate and would need constant repositioning underneath my arse. Talking of which - in the now oft used phrase by a fellow scouser Ricky Tomlinson - MY ARSE. wink:
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

i just couldn't resist. littlefeller i aint, but the id is a long story :lol:
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

littlefeller wrote:i just couldn't resist. littlefeller i aint, but the id is a long story :lol:
Weeeeeeellllllllllll,I am all ears. In the famous words of the Late Max Bygraves OBE - I wanna tell you a story !!!!!!! :) :roll:
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

I used 8mm & cut to length. 1.25" is 32mm aprox.
Not sure of stability of seat though.
Not fitted mine yet,i have bigger problems to solve first. :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5mm-6mm-8mm-H ... 2a49ba3434

Bob
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

ok, many years ago (i was about 19-20) i was seeing this girl (same age) we had been to the pub then i went back to her parents house, ( i need to set the scene here) there living room had at some point an extension built onto it (the whole end wall had been pushed back about 15 feet into the garden leaving just a smallish section of the original wall as the support with the entire new end wall being glazed (full length). the living room was one side of this support with a dinning area the other (support was about 5 feet wide with prob about 10-12 feet open at either side. we were stripped off and exercising on the living room floor while her parents were in bed. suddenly (mid flow) her mother can be seen through the frosted glass living room door coming down the stairs. i jumped up and kicked my clothes under the settee and hid (back against the support wall with the crime scene behind me) her mother went into the kitchen and made a cup of tea, i did consider fetching my clothes a few times but every time i peeped from my hiding place i could see her through the frosted glass so dared not move. she then came into the living room and sat talking to her daughter who had managed to get dressed. i stood there for about 10 min until finally she says - you may as well come out from behind there as i can see your reflection in the glazed wall :shock: why had she waited so long, well she waited until a certain part of my anatomy had fallen from the occasion where as earlier it had risen to it (if you see what i am saying) getting smaller and smaller, so from then on her mother called me littlefeller. :lol: :lol:
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

littlefeller wrote:ok, many years ago (i was about 19-20) i was seeing this girl (same age) we had been to the pub then i went back to her parents house, ( i need to set the scene here) there living room had at some point an extension built onto it (the whole end wall had been pushed back about 15 feet into the garden leaving just a smallish section of the original wall as the support with the entire new end wall being glazed (full length). the living room was one side of this support with a dinning area the other (support was about 5 feet wide with prob about 10-12 feet open at either side. we were stripped off and exercising on the living room floor while her parents were in bed. suddenly (mid flow) her mother can be seen through the frosted glass living room door coming down the stairs. i jumped up and kicked my clothes under the settee and hid (back against the support wall with the crime scene behind me) her mother went into the kitchen and made a cup of tea, i did consider fetching my clothes a few times but every time i peeped from my hiding place i could see her through the frosted glass so dared not move. she then came into the living room and sat talking to her daughter who had managed to get dressed. i stood there for about 10 min until finally she says - you may as well come out from behind there as i can see your reflection in the glazed wall :shock: why had she waited so long, well she waited until a certain part of my anatomy had fallen from the occasion where as earlier it had risen to it (if you see what i am saying) getting smaller and smaller, so from then on her mother called me littlefeller. :lol: :lol:
Hi littlefella. Interesting and I hope that you did the decent thing and are still married !!!!!!
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Lancsbob wrote:I used 8mm & cut to length. 1.25" is 32mm aprox.
Not sure of stability of seat though.
Not fitted mine yet,i have bigger problems to solve first. :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5mm-6mm-8mm-H ... 2a49ba3434

Bob
Hi Bob. Have your raised the back of the seat or is it only the front that is the issue ?

What is the other problem about ?

I am only in Bescar,Scarisbrick !!!!!!
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Iv'e read a thread somewhere saying that the seating is much more comfortable
if you raise the front of the seat 20mm or so & iv'e bought the bits to do it
but not had the chance to fit it yet.
Went out for a drive to the Dales last week & the DSC/ABS warning light has come on
so checked with a code checker & found 5 codes. Robert in Altringham has kindly
offered to check it out with a full computer scan sometime in the future so as
to pinpoint the problem. 2 of the fault codes could be very costly so i need to
know exactly whats up. It seems a dreaded warning light going by whats on Google
Lots about it on there. Untill Robert has a look at it i don't really know, it could be
something or nothing, here's hoping.

Bob
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Lancsbob wrote:Iv'e read a thread somewhere saying that the seating is much more comfortable
if you raise the front of the seat 20mm or so & iv'e bought the bits to do it
but not had the chance to fit it yet.
Went out for a drive to the Dales last week & the DSC/ABS warning light has come on
so checked with a code checker & found 5 codes. Robert in Altringham has kindly
offered to check it out with a full computer scan sometime in the future so as
to pinpoint the problem. 2 of the fault codes could be very costly so i need to
know exactly whats up. It seems a dreaded warning light going by whats on Google
Lots about it on there. Untill Robert has a look at it i don't really know, it could be
something or nothing, here's hoping.

Bob
Hi again Bob. Now that is interesting;simply because only the other day I read the exact opposite. It appears that the rear of the seat is so low for some that it gives rise to back ache and seemingly coming from the back of the pelvic cradle.
It was actually described as "a bad design by BMW".. I have actually raised the rear of the seat by 30mm just to see over the top of the binnacle and the very top edge of the steering wheel BUT that has now left me with a reduced recline on the backrest. I need to raise the font by about 3/4" to 1" to regain some of the recline.

I might go and do some looking around tomorrow,there is a fairly good tool/hardware factors in Shakespeare Street,Southport. They are called Johnson Tool Centre.
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Now that IS interesting as after the first long drive that iv'e done in the Z3 the next day i had
severe lower back pain & its lasted a week. I never put 2&2 together. I will try this tilt remedy
& see but it feels like the bottom of the seat back doesn't support the lower end of the spine.
Wonder if there is any other remedies.

Bob
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Lancsbob wrote:Now that IS interesting as after the first long drive that iv'e done in the Z3 the next day i had
severe lower back pain & its lasted a week. I never put 2&2 together. I will try this tilt remedy
& see but it feels like the bottom of the seat back doesn't support the lower end of the spine.
Wonder if there is any other remedies.

Bob
Hi again Bob. Come around or we could meet-up and try my seat for starters.
I have done several long runs (220/250+ miles) in mine and back pain/aches were not a problem but there again I am 4'10" tall and weigh 68kgs.
Getting comfortable even with the electric seat is not easy and the more that the rear is raised the greater is the loss of recline in the backrest.
Building a small lumber into the backrest would not be that difficult,indeed it was a small part of my work before I retired prematurely in 2007.
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Have you fitted a lumbar support to yours?

Bob
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Lancsbob wrote:Have you fitted a lumbar support to yours?

Bob
Hi Bob. No not into this car. Strictly speaking it should be tailored into the cover but as it is only a very small/shallow one I don't see it being a problem.

It would be built up from a 3/4" of 7lb reconstituted foam with a 1/2" overlay and bonded into position depending on where the small-of-your-back falls in relation to the backrest depth.
A lot would also depend on the type of seat that you have.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

You may find this 'for sale' post interesting. It could well be the answer to your problem:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 11&t=43232
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

BladeRunner919 wrote:You may find this 'for sale' post interesting. It could well be the answer to your problem:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 11&t=43232
Hi BladeRunner. Interesting BUT not for me. I am not for swapping and changing across manufacturers products on items such as seats.

If need-be I will remove the seat and modify the the seat squab during the winter months I believe that I can do this without altering the leather covering.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi to you all out there. Well I had a great deal of help from Southernboy (Barry) but alas the leads that je gave me drew a blank with stuff out of stock and long winded waiting times.

The job is now done but I have yet to mount the runners on a single rail each BUT initially the mounting is secure and works perfectly well.

The rear is raised by 30mm and the front is raised by 22.5mm and all bolted back into position.

As a result I now have the recline that I had previously lost but still have the option of taking the back back a little higher still - it is surprising how much a few mm can make to the recline/angle of the backrest.

The only loss of available height in the seat is is the 22.5mm that has been taken-up with the spacer at the front.

I am off out now to give it a testing for overall comfort.