Hood cover??

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
millzy666

Z3 roadster 1.9

Hood cover??

Post by millzy666 »

Could anyone help... I'm looking to purchase (not sure what its called) but the thing that covers the hood when down that makes it look much neater... Any ideas where i could get one?

Example of one on this photo..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BostonGreenZ3

M roadster S50

Hood Cover...

Post by BostonGreenZ3 »

Hi Millzy :)

Its called the tonneau cover (most people just call it the hood cover) - you can pick these up quite reasonable on ebay.

Sometimes on this site as well, I'm sure if anyone has a spare one, they will post it on here for you 8-)

Actually, theres some on ebay now - heres the linkie for you

http://search.ebay.co.uk/bmw-z3-hood_W0QQfltZ9

http://search.ebay.co.uk/bmw-z3-tonneau_W0QQfltZ9
millzy666

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by millzy666 »

Thanks boston :D
Sent you a private mail too..
BostonGreenZ3

M roadster S50

Post by BostonGreenZ3 »

millzy666 wrote:Thanks boston :D
Sent you a private mail too..
Your welcome - PM just sent for you too :)
Ross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Got one!

Post by Ross »

I have a beige one exactly like you have shown in your pocture. Was going to wait until summer to sell on ebay but it is yours for £50. I guess that is a good price cos last year when I thought of selling they were going for £80-£100 on ebay.

Let me know what you think.
Ross - 2.8 Montreal Blue
Ross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ross »

...........forgot to add, that is if you have no luck on ebay....you may get one cheaper than £50.....who knows!! Good luck and let me know.
Ross - 2.8 Montreal Blue
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

i was browsing Z3 stuff on ebay and saw this one. Cheap at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 31310&rd=1

I picked one up off there for 21.00 plus delivery. Not tried it yet. It looks stiffer than a beige one that i had on a 97 1.9. Also has different press studs.
millzy666

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by millzy666 »

Thanks for that guys...
Ross i've sent you a PM..
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Z3 hood covers

Post by mich »

Hi Millzy and Boston I have a 2002 Z3 That comes with a factory Hood Cover, molded, It is very tricky to put on but does look great, I understand that you can get them in a more flexible material.
Also, I thought a Tonneau cover was something entirely different in that it covered the entire cockpit, can you get these for Z3s ???

From mich
BostonGreenZ3

M roadster S50

Re: Z3 hood covers

Post by BostonGreenZ3 »

mich wrote:I thought a Tonneau cover was something entirely different in that it covered the entire cockpit, can you get these for Z3s ???
Hi Mich :D

I do actually remember the covers which fitted over the entire cockpit area, on MG Midgets, Truimph Heralds etc and yes, they were called tonneau covers

I've never seen one for the Z'd though
Russell

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Russell »

BostonGreenZ3 wrote:
mich wrote:I thought a Tonneau cover was something entirely different in that it covered the entire cockpit, can you get these for Z3s ???
Hi Mich :D

I do actually remember the covers which fitted over the entire cockpit area, on MG Midgets, Truimph Heralds etc and yes, they were called tonneau covers

I was a bit confused when I first saw the term tonneau used to describe the roof cover on a Z3. I was familiar with the full tonneau that Shirley describes on classic 60s sports cars and I think probably still feature on Morgans etc. (... and I'm sure she can't possibly remember them from first time around! :wink:)

I guess these were much more useful in the days when it took forever to fasten a roof into place. They completely covered the cockpit and had a zipped or studded section that rolled across the driver's seat so the car could be driven with the tonneau in place. As well as meaning the car could be left in a shower (the steering wheel stopped it sagging!), it did have the great advantage that the lower cockpit could be kept very warm... no need for heated seats.

I'd certainly be curious to see one if such a thing did exist for a Z. With the high backed seats, plus roll bars it would probably look very awkward!

Russell
BostonGreenZ3

M roadster S50

Post by BostonGreenZ3 »

Russell wrote: (... and I'm sure she can't possibly remember them from first time around! :wink:)
Hi Russell :D

My sister owned a Midget, Herald and a Spitfire many years ago.

I always remember her taking me out shopping on a Saturday afternoon, hood down, music turned up and I loved every minute of it :P but of course, I was very, very, very young at the time :wink: :lol: :lol:
Russell

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Russell »

BostonGreenZ3 wrote:My sister owned a Midget, Herald and a Spitfire many years ago.

I always remember her taking me out shopping on a Saturday afternoon, hood down, music turned up and I loved every minute of it :P but of course, I was very, very, very young at the time :wink: :lol: :lol:
Hi Shirley :D

What a sporty family you are! I had to ask... what does she drive now?

Russell
BostonGreenZ3

M roadster S50

Post by BostonGreenZ3 »

Hi Russell :D

She now drives a BMW 330 8-) :P not a convertible though - and definately no music turned up loud anymore :lol: :lol:
Zedster

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zedster »

mich wrote:
I thought a Tonneau cover was something entirely different in that it covered the entire cockpit, can you get these for Z3s ???

Hi Mich

Is this what your after :?:

http://64.225.94.154/ShopSite/page12.html

Lee
CTB

Not specified

Post by CTB »

Ah tonneau covers, what a great invention, I have owned several MG B's in the past, and always had a tonneau cover, the one with the zip down the middle, so you could roll it back on the drivers side, and splutter down the road with the passengers side covered.

The following link, is the only thing I have seen that comes close, but it looks cr@p, not a patch on the old MG ones

http://www.mz3.net/articles/081.html
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Yes, I too owned a MGB Roadster and always used the tonneau cover, the one with the zip down the middle, the hood was left permanently down so you just zipped it up when it was parked, leaving it fairly safe from rain (and idiots who chuck things in as they walk pass) would have been nice to have something similar on the Z
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Tonneau Covers

Post by mich »

Hi Guys, in answer to: CTB I completely agree with your comments on this one. Zedster not quite what I meant. Now Geoff H. You have got it spot on, thats the cover that I remember, and your comments on idiots is what prompted me to ask the question in the first place, the modern ones are very compact but look ummmm. the vinyl one in your photo looks great but would be bulky so, as the Zs are not over endowed with boot space I think I will take my chances with the idiots, thanks again guys
PoRks Z3

blank.gif

Post by PoRks Z3 »

i got that cover from factory :P
1999 BMW Z3
ThE PaSsEnGeR SeAt :boink ... is only for chicks... Z3 PoWeR
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/646525
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Ebay

Post by Alfie »

Several Z3 tonneau covers on ebay RIGHT NOW.

A.