Hardtop with fitting kit

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dave treg

Z3 roadster 1.9

Hardtop with fitting kit

Post by dave treg »

Hi folks, when i bought my Z3 a couple of years ago, it came with a hardtop which was fitted for me to drive it home. I have never used it since and as it will always be off road for the winter I'm thinking about selling it (the hardtop not the car). At the moment the fittings are still on the car but if I do sell then they can be removed and go with the top. BTW it is Topaz blue and is in good condition. The thing is, I would appreciate an idea of what it is worth as there seems to be quite a difference in prices, from not much over £300 to over £800. If the lower end is what it will fetch then I will just kkep it stored until me or the car goes :shock:
Thanks in advance Dave
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Hardtop with fitting kit

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I'd guess the hardtop is worth about £500 and the fitting kit another £200 or £300. The fitting kits seem harder to come by than the hardtops, so if you can sell as a package, that should be pretty attractive to a buyer that needs both. If it were mine, I'd probably put them on ebay as a package and start the bidding at £800 and see what happens. If it doesn't sell for that, just keep it.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Funnily enough l also have a Topaz Blue hardtop that came with my Z3 and l have never used.

I was also thinking of selling it! But l can't make up my mind, so it's staying in the garage for now. I do like the car with the hardtop fitted, although like you the car is SORN over Winter......
Parki

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Parki »

A complete hard top fitting kit went for £360 last pm on ebay - the hard tops need to be in the right colour so may be more difficult to shift?
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

At this time of year you could push £1000 for the full hardtop and fitting kit - especially if you have the switch, relay, loom and the little covers that hide the fitting kit - that would be £600-700 for the HT and 3-400 for the fitting kit.... If you try selling it in the spring then that price is halved (Tip for anyone wanting a hardtop)

...obviously if selling on here then a discount is required ;-)
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

just got a nice hard top same year and colour as my car £465picking it up on Sunday but as the fixing kits are made out of gold judging by the price folk are asking for themI'm making my own
peter2b
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Don't pander to the silly prices being asked here , we got ours from Germany, not this particular seller but just gives you an idea what's available

http://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-Z3-Hardtop-H ... 1377771428
dave treg

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by dave treg »

Sorry for the delay in thanking you fellas, been away for a couple of days. But appreciate the advice. I don't know about these switches/shrouds though, how would I know if I have these? Thanks again, Dave
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

The plastic covers, switch and wiring harness are all available from BMW and are nit expensive.

The plastic pieces go over the holes in the hardtop mountings behind the seats when the hardtop is not fitted.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Getting there got 4 bits of 6mm x 100mmx 250 steel plates made a cardboard muck up of the brackets now going to disappear into my man shed warm up my welder turn on planet rock for a few hours and have a go to make them
Peter2b
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

All cut out now going to weld them together this week end, another thing is the rear screen plug found next to the hood lift rod on the near side, I have a white plug there with I think 3 wires either side
Petrr2b
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

peter2b wrote:All cut out now going to weld them together this week end, another thing is the rear screen plug found next to the hood lift rod on the near side, I have a white plug there with I think 3 wires either side
Petrr2b

Sounds like the connector for the electric/auto hood?
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

That's what I thought so where is the rear screen heater wiring?
Peter2b
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

peter2b wrote:That's what I thought so where is the rear screen heater wiring?
Peter2b
No idea, never had one, sory
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

peter2b wrote:That's what I thought so where is the rear screen heater wiring?
They are one and the same thing. The connector serves both the heater rear windscreen and the roof microswitch with a common. The HRW is taken off using an adapter that splits off the relevant pair or wires, and has another similar connector of the opposite sex to take the other wire and the common onto the roof microswitch. If you don't have an electric roof, then the end remains free.

The HRW normally connects to the roof via a pair of plates in the top of the left-hand bracket, which are pushed against a matching pair of plates on the roof when the roof is clamped down. I doubt you will be able to replicate these, so you will have to have a quick release connector instead.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I had a look at the plug it has 3 contacts but only 2 wires in and out of it , had to cut a bit more of the Base plate on that side to clear the folded roof but all now fits, going to tack it together and a chap at work is welding it together for me, I was a bit worried about how I could get the n/side in as the wiring to that plug was too short to go around the bracket till I realised it needs to be disonected any way only 1 more thing is to make the socket that the roof pins lock into done a mock up that works so now just need to do a proper job on it, so I a week should have the roof on :) :)
Peter2b
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Just put the hard top on for its first fit my rear brackets seem to be in the correct place but the near side is a real pig to get the bolts in the soft top ram gets In the way , best thing it's the correct colour :) I will take it off to get it welded up ,happy days
Peter2b