Door mirror repair kit fitted successfully.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Door mirror repair kit fitted successfully.

Post by OldskoolRS »

Like many on here I had a corroded door mirror that I then managed to break folding it back (ironically to 'protect' it when parked :head: ). Just after I placed a wanted advert I found a repair kit on eBay. Since the 'going price' for a used one seemed to be more than this kit and a used one could break just as easily as mine, I took a chance on this kit. It is basically just the internal 'skeleton' including the mirror base (unpainted, but matt black plastic).

The 'skeleton' is made of plastic instead of the alloy of the original, which at least means it won't corrode, though arguably isn't as strong (seemed fairly robust though to be fair). I followed their instructions on how to take the original casing off (I'd already removed my damaged mirror some time ago) and it was pretty straightforward. The only issue was that I'd mislaid the little screws that secure the white plastic mirror control mechanism. I found that these were M3 x 20mm and got a small bag of them from Screwfix (though stainless steel might have been better in hindsight).

If I hadn't managed to lose the wiring inside the door the job would have been really easy, but I had to remove the door card to retrieve the wires, so it took longer than it should have done. However, the mirror is now back on the car and working perfectly. I haven't sprayed the base, but TBH the matt black looks neat enough against my Topaz Blue paintwork, though I might paint it next spring as it's getting a bit cold to paint it outside.

I should add some photos later, but for now, this is the link to the part (drivers side, though I'm pretty sure they do a nearside one as well):

https://x8r.co.uk/index.php/products/bm ... r-fix.html

A lot cheaper than a new one from BMW (I was quoted £270 and that is unpainted of course, including the bits I wouldn't need).
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Door mirror repair kit fitted successfully.

Post by Robert T »

Looks very similar to the replacements provided by the guy in Germany: http://www.spiegel-z3.de/die_reparatur.html

If I am reading my German correctly, he charges 110 euro (about £80) per side, including painting of the base. Would have to see how much tax and shipping works out.

I'm tempted to do this to my zed as preventative medicine, but I would also be doing it to get rid of the nasty corroded bases I have at the moment, so getting them ready painted is quite appealing.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Perfect timing, I've just noticed that the base of my drivers side mirror is corroding yet again ( only fixed it a year or so ago) so will be bookmarking this page and be getting onto it next spring.

Thanks for posting :thumb: :thumb:
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

I was emailing Spieglewelt Z3 earlier in the year with a view to getting a full replacement kit from him for both sides. The price he quoted me painted and shipped was €236. Obviously my project got put on hold but I still have it on my to do list, so as and when I get around to it I'll do a KB article to add to the site.
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I should have taken more pictures of the job, I didn't think about putting it on the knowledge base, though the link I provided should allow you to find the instructions which were pretty accurate (bar the missing screw size, which was my fault for losing them). I've got a small patch to spray on the back bumper, so I may as well do the new base at the same time as both jobs will only need 1 can.

It was nice to go out for a drive in it after the repair, without having to strain my neck to check what was around me. I've recently got a new company car with an automatic/flappy paddle gearbox, so it was good to make sure I hadn't lost the ability to change gear, plus heal and toe on the downchanges. :D
Last edited by OldskoolRS on Sun 25 Oct, 2015 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

You're right those instructions are much better than the ones on the German site. My only concern is that the drivers side mirror for a right hand drive car is £10,094.99 :shock:

http://1drv.ms/1RTy4Yc
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Still showing as £94.99 using the link in my first post. I did notice that their eBay link shop had the price at £1,000 though.
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

It's gone back to £94.99 again so maybe they were out of stock and wanted to temporarily discourage new orders.

Posted from my Nokia Lumia using Tapatalk.