Easy MOT history check for any car

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
billysally208

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Easy MOT history check for any car

Post by billysally208 »

Appreciate this is not soley for Z3 owners and apologise if it has already been posted - but is a useful checker to find the MOT history of any car just using the registration number and make of vehicle.
Here's the link :- https://mot-history.net/
Last edited by billysally208 on Wed 21 Oct, 2015 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Lancsbob

blank

Re: Easy MOT histury check for any car

Post by Lancsbob »

Very interesting site, it shows my car failed its MOT for DSC warning light just
before i bought it & guess what its re-appeared. :roll:

Am i cynical. YES

Bob
Robz3sport

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Easy MOT history check for any car

Post by Robz3sport »

Tried this.....it didn't work...!
petecossie

M coupe S50

Post by petecossie »

It worked for me.
Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black Interior.

Previous BMWs
2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black Interior.
2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black/Black Interior
1986 M635
1985 E28 M5
1983 E28 528i Alpina
Robz3sport

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Robz3sport »

Doesn't seem to work with northern Irish vehicles.......
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I suspect it only works with DVLA Swansea and not DVLA N.I.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

works for every car i have

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

gookah wrote:works for every car i have
and loads I haven't :shock: .
Pingu
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

Tried this link from another site worked fine showed my zed had 3 clears then fail on bushes front and back ,fog lite crack, next air bag light on both front discs worn rust brake pipes, next clear,next seat belts worn power stearing pipes rusty , then mine after rebuild first fail rear indicates too white,missed a bit of weld when I refitted the front chassis rails (5mm long)head light loose (I forgot to tighten the mounting screws)then pass,.good find though handy link
Peter2b
Wavesong

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wavesong »

My car is UK registered and doesn't come up at all. I have a Honda CRX (1997) that comes up with this year's mot only. I have a Mazda pick-up truck where the whole history comes up. The reason is that the Z3 and the Honda have both had private plates prior to my ownership whereas the Mazda hasn't. Not that great a facility then really as you wouldn't think it was beyond the wit of the DVLA to overcome that little anomaly.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Wavesong wrote:My car is UK registered and doesn't come up at all. I have a Honda CRX (1997) that comes up with this year's mot only. I have a Mazda pick-up truck where the whole history comes up. The reason is that the Z3 and the Honda have both had private plates prior to my ownership whereas the Mazda hasn't. Not that great a facility then really as you wouldn't think it was beyond the wit of the DVLA to overcome that little anomaly.
That could be a good or a bad thing if selling. If you change the plate, then advertise, it will only show an MOT done since the plate change.

[Edit] I've just checked my car and van. Both have had plate changes since 2011. Both show a full history back to 2006,
Pingu
Wavesong

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wavesong »

Hmm, I can only think that the plate changes on my cars are less than 12 months, The CRX was in May, the Z, in Dec last year so maybe it takes time for the system to get up to date. It doesn't recognise my Z3 at all. However, if I check the tax and mot status on line with DVLA, the Z3 comes up with correct current status.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Mine checked out on the site as did my other car.
Out of interest I ran a few of the cars that have appeared on Wheeler Dealers TV show, interesting to see how they faired after they were sold on, worst one appeared to be the Triumph Stag with loads of fails on a multitude of things!!

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Wavesong wrote:Hmm, I can only think that the plate changes on my cars are less than 12 months, The CRX was in May, the Z, in Dec last year so maybe it takes time for the system to get up to date. It doesn't recognise my Z3 at all. However, if I check the tax and mot status on line with DVLA, the Z3 comes up with correct current status.
Have you tried the old numbers?
Pingu
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Been checking some old cars i used to own.
Blimey there are some jobsworths out there. :rtm:
Fail:- not enough water in screen wash
Don't you just love them. :head:

Bob
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Lancsbob wrote:Been checking some old cars i used to own.
Blimey there are some jobsworths out there. :rtm:
Fail:- not enough water in screen wash
Don't you just love them. :head:

Bob
To give the benefit of the doubt, "Not enough water" could be that it ran out mid squirt.

Worst are advisories. Tyres are objectively tested and the rules are clear and well written, but you still get testers giving advisories :shock: .
Pingu
davieb

M coupe S50

Post by davieb »

A few years ago, I bought an M3. I ran the check and found that it had failed the MOT a week or two before, on grounds of a cracked alloy. I gave the salesman some grief over it and he told me that it was because the wheel had been kerbed! He rabbited on about it being a broad heading. At that point I pretty much gave up on the car and the salesman. I later had a call from the service manager, profusely apologetic. He didn't say that the salesman was a moron, but got pretty close. What happened was that they took the wheels off to have them refurbished, put some old wheels on, for the MOT - one of which was cracked!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

My local Kwik Fit (not any other MOT station) insists on giving out advisories for OE plastic under-trays and plastic engine covers which are obscuring things that they claim they might otherwise inspect. No other garage I have used has ever done this and it is mildly irritating as these "faults" are officially logged onto the MOT history of the car. :?
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Its called arse covering, since DVLA have cracked down on testing stations it seems that they are listing these sort of things to avoid any criticism by DVLA and claims against them from owners.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Del wrote:My local Kwik Fit (not any other MOT station) insists on giving out advisories for OE plastic under-trays and plastic engine covers which are obscuring things that they claim they might otherwise inspect. No other garage I have used has ever done this and it is mildly irritating as these "faults" are officially logged onto the MOT history of the car. :?
It must be a Kwik Fit thing. I had the same from them a couple of years ago.
Pingu
Wavesong

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wavesong »

Don't wish to be pedantic but, its not the DVLA rules that affect mot's but VOSA. DVLA merely reports on the history. The plethora of advisories arrises from the target driven blame culture we now all live in. None of my cars or bikes have had an advisory free mot now for 2 or 3 years so, when I see an advert for a car with a new mot and "no advisories", I am left to wonder at the honesty of the owner who should know that these days, folk are a bit more switched on and will check. Advisories can be taken with a pinch of reality and common sense.
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

Interesting occurrence in May 2011 test for me. First entry shows the car failed because both headlights were aimed too high, but on the same date I have a pass with no advisories, so it looks like the garage adjusted the lights and didn't bother telling me. Makes you wonder why they didn't just adjust the lights during the first test and just pass it, I wonder if there is a time limit on how long they have to test under the newer system.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Yes it's a timed operation by the computer they use.
Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stevov »

Tester is not permitted to make adjustments or repairs during test.
Wavesong

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wavesong »

Hence why every niggle is now recorded even if your helpful tester then adjusts the lights (for example) and re-inputs. This is why I doubt any claims by a seller that the vehicle has no advisories as very few vehicles will now get through a test with none at all. My local testing station even has video cameras recording every stage of the test alongside the computer recording and these records are checked so they have no choice but to be overzealous.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Headlight adjustment is another one of those funny things. You can take your car to an array of MOT stations for years and never have a problem and then stumble upon one who deems that your headlights need adjusting. :?
billysally208

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by billysally208 »

Wavesong wrote:Don't wish to be pedantic but, its not the DVLA rules that affect mot's but VOSA. DVLA merely reports on the history. The plethora of advisories arrises from the target driven blame culture we now all live in. None of my cars or bikes have had an advisory free mot now for 2 or 3 years so, when I see an advert for a car with a new mot and "no advisories", I am left to wonder at the honesty of the owner who should know that these days, folk are a bit more switched on and will check. Advisories can be taken with a pinch of reality and common sense.
I don't wish to be pedantic either - but it is now the DVSA not VOSA :)
Wavesong

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Wavesong »

Thank you, I didn't know that and for those equally unaware; Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) is a new agency that has been formed by a merger of The Driving Standards Agency (DSA) and the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA).

DSA used to be responsible for establishing standards for drivers and motorcyclists and for carrying out driving tests. VOSA responsibilites included establishing and enforsing the safety standards for vehicles. The new DVSA agency will take on the responsibilities of both DSA and VOSA agencies from 2014 onwards.