Which trolley jack?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
martin41052

Z3 roadster 1.9

Which trolley jack?

Post by martin41052 »

Now that I intend doing all sorts of exciting (basic) maintenance on my new toy, eg brake-pad replacement, engine oil changes etc, I am thinking of investing in an inexpensive trolley jack. My Z3 has not been lowered, but would I still need a low profile trolley jack or will a normal jack fit underneath easily enough?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Which trolley jack?

Post by Gazza »

I have a Rocket lift trolley jack in normal use, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/25125500 ... ue&ff13=80 I need to drive onto wooden blocks to use it on the Zed.

The following would suit.

2 Ton Low profile trolley jack http://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-e ... olley-jack

3 Ton Low profile http://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-e ... olley-jack
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I got the 2-ton one delivered and then realised that they are only just down the road from me.

It's always a good idea to check the supplier's address before hitting the Pay Now button :shock: .
Pingu
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Buy two jacks - you can then raise either end of the car easily and quickly.

I use a pair of Halfords 2.5 ton jacks, which have a larger frame than their 2 ton jacks - about £30 each.

To raise the front of even a non-lowered car, just drive onto a pair od 50 X 200 mm pieces of wood, with one end sawn to a rouch wedge shape. You will then have space to slip a piece of hardwood between the jack and the lifting point of the car, to prevent it being damaged by the cup shaped jack pltform.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I am the same - I have 2 x 2 tonne jacks (Halfords I think)... not that expensive and I have a number of pieces of wooden slats under the boot carpet to drive the car on to get the jacks under (because it might not always be at home when it needs jacking up)
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

martin41052 wrote:Now that I intend doing all sorts of exciting (basic) maintenance on my new toy, eg brake-pad replacement, engine oil changes etc, I am thinking of investing in an inexpensive trolley jack. My Z3 has not been lowered, but would I still need a low profile trolley jack or will a normal jack fit underneath easily enough?
Make sure you get some axle stands or suitable wooden blocks to put under the car after you have jacked it up. For safety's sake you should never rely only on jacks when working under a car. Even if you aren't working directly underneath it, a jack failure will surely damage something on your Z.

Christmas is coming, you could put one of these on your list. www.cjautosheywood.co.uk/3in1.shtml :shock:

The CL03 should be ideal! :D
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
martin41052

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martin41052 »

Hold on a minute.............my Missus isn't sure that blowing a couple of grand on the car itself was such a great idea, although now that it's all clean and shiny she's warming to it, but lashing out £540 on a tilting lift thingy is probably pushing things a bit too far :oops:

I think I'll just go for a low-profile trolley jack for now and smuggle it in under the cover of darkness!

Thanks for all the advice though chaps.
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

If the car is still too low for the jack just drive it onto some wood blocks, 2" floor joist offcuts from a building site are good.
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Brian4 wrote:If the car is still too low for the jack just drive it onto some wood blocks, 2" floor joist offcuts from a building site are good.
... just remember to take the nails out first!
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Don't want to be breaking your false nails now do we! :shock:
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

bertiejaffa wrote:I am the same - I have 2 x 2 tonne jacks (Halfords I think)... not that expensive and I have a number of pieces of wooden slats under the boot carpet to drive the car on to get the jacks under (because it might not always be at home when it needs jacking up)
:puzzle: Does this mean you carry 2 trolley jacks in the boot also. :?
Why not use the car jack when not at home, no need for wood then. :D
martin41052

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martin41052 »

...............I'm beginning to wish I hadn't started this now :D
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

We're not, it's a bit of light relief amid all the technical stuff! :roflmao: :thumb:
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

My car is low and I sometimes run small 215/40/17 tyres whch drops the car further but my jack fits under the car fine. It's an Arcan from Costco; low profile and has a wide pad that works fine with the bmw jacking points.

Not sure if they sell this exact model anymore though there is a similar red one on their website but doesn't look quite as low.

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/arcan-20 ... 0eu-900930