Lancsbob

blank

Mirror switch removed fan now working.

Post by Lancsbob »

Hi
After disconnecting mirror switch on the door my heater fan now works &
fuse OK, does this mean faulty switch or that iv'e just isolated
fault after the switch?
As you can tell electrics isn't my strong point...! :?
Is there a way to check out switch?

Cheers Bob
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Mirror switch removed fan now working.

Post by gookah »

sounds like you may have isolated a fault after the switch

Has the wiring to the mirror been damaged behind the door card. possibly by movement of the glass? That's where I would go next

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

I'm with gookah on this, Sorry but the door car will have to come off as if I remember the wires to the mirror are clipped to the door to keep them out of the way of the window mechanism and if you had the mirrors off you may have pulled the wires tight. If you plug each side back in individually you should be able to work out which side is damaged.

Similar issue to yours
https://zroadster.org/threads/help-need ... ost-141319
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Brian4 wrote:I'm with gookah on this, Sorry but the door car will have to come off as if I remember the wires to the mirror are clipped to the door to keep them out of the way of the window mechanism and if you had the mirrors off you may have pulled the wires tight. If you plug each side back in individually you should be able to work out which side is damaged.

Similar issue to yours
https://zroadster.org/threads/help-need ... ost-141319
Interesting article, thanks for that, looks like door cards off unfortunately.
Trying to think of a way to test each mirror circuit individually via the plug, any ideas?

Bob
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Before taking the door cards off, inspect the wiring around the plug that connects to the switch, if you look deep in the hole where the switch sits you will notice a metal fastener (screw or bolt I cannot remember) holding the upper part of the handle, when you push the switch in place this causes the wiring loom to be compressed against this metal fastener and can short circuit!

With the loom coming out of the door handle does the fuse pop as soon as you plug in the switch?
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Brian H wrote:Before taking the door cards off, inspect the wiring around the plug that connects to the switch, if you look deep in the hole where the switch sits you will notice a metal fastener (screw or bolt I cannot remember) holding the upper part of the handle, when you push the switch in place this causes the wiring loom to be compressed against this metal fastener and can short circuit!

With the loom coming out of the door handle does the fuse pop as soon as you plug in the switch?
Thanks for that.
I decided to try plugging the switch back on the plug with the selecter switch on O/S then N/S to see which
blew the fuse but sods law its all working fine again.
I checked what you suggested & the wiring did look compressed but couldn't find any bare wires but
it points to fault being in the drivers door (i think!)
Have left the switch hanging out of door for now.

Thanks all for your help.