UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Lancsbob

blank

Air Conditioning Servicing.

Post by Lancsbob »

Hi
Just wondering if there is anything i can do regarding servicing
my air conditioning. Is there any filters/top ups etc that need looking at or
cleaning anything. Is there any way of telling if the gas needs attention?
Although iv'e never really thought it necessary to have in a sports car seeing
that its there i may as well look after it.
Not actually tried it fully yet so it might not even be working. :?
Switched it on in the garage & the compressor kicks in so fingers crossed.

Cheers Bob
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Air Conditioning Servicing.

Post by peter2b »

most air conditioning units need running once a week to keep gaskets etc in good nick even in winter ,best thing is to pop into your nearest garage that does air con service for a check up my local garage ( Whitchurch) does it for about £50
peter2b
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Ask for a full purge/regas and oil rather than just a top up.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

My local garage did a and leak test and full re-gas for £60 - they said "It takes a lot of gas for a little car!" :roll:
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

No "pollen" filter fitted to the Z3 air con system.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

My M has (had) air conditioning when it came off the production line in 1997 but it has since gone by the way side. There are plenty of local places that do air-con top up for you (dont pay more the £40 absolutel maximum - maybe check groupon) however take it to them first to check it. On mine the unit itself has cracked and the replacement cost is around £200 including the labour so I just keep the roof and windows down and drive faster
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

bertiejaffa wrote:My M has (had) air conditioning when it came off the production line in 1997 but it has since gone by the way side. There are plenty of local places that do air-con top up for you (dont pay more the £40 absolutel maximum - maybe check groupon) however take it to them first to check it. On mine the unit itself has cracked and the replacement cost is around £200 including the labour so I just keep the roof and windows down and drive faster
Yes, i will probably do the same if its a big bill. Its just that if you decide to sell it they
want everthing working. I had new company cars every 3 years & never used the air con
in any of them just opened all 4 windows from the drivers seat....!
Same with the cruise control, how often can you use that in UK?
Next thing to sort is the heated seats, just discovered they don't work either but i wont miss them
if i can't get them going.

Cheers Bob
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

My wife's Z3 has aircon and mine doesn't. I prefer the aircon option even with the roof down as it blows really cold air on you when it's hot. Also it demists quicker and keeps the windows clear when its rainy

To not blow the coldest available air on you when its hot, is like saying don't use the warmest available air when its cold .
No one would dream of doing that and accept being cold rather than turn the heater up.... so why doesn't that seem to work in reverse

I also retrofitted cruise control because I find it invaluable in the average speed camera areas especially the 50mph ones on the motorway.

Each to their own though

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

If both seats are broken then it might be the relay (depending on the age of the car) - or you can see Gookah's post on how to fix them if the break is in the seat...
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Lancsbob wrote:Same with the cruise control, how often can you use that in UK?
Mine didn't come with cruise control and I have never had a car with it fitted and I never thought I would be that bothered about using it. Anyway I decided to retrofit it into my zed as it wasn't that expensive or difficult to do, it was just another option I thought I would use occasionally. Now I wouldn't be without it, even on short journeys it gets used most times I go out and it is a god send on a long motorway run, not that I do them that often.

I went to Milton Keynes recently to collect a bumper in my mums Audi A1, which doesn't have cruise control and I was driving for around 5 hours. My right ankle and leg was killing me when I got home due to having it on the accelerator for all that time :head:
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I have cruise control on my other cars and it's great - I wouldn't be without it. I have the kit to retrofit it to the Z3, but haven't got around to it yet.
DomS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by DomS »

Nice to hear that cruise control can be retro-fitted relatively easily and cheaply. I've never had it, but like the idea for the odd long journey when I'm "forced" to use the motorway :(

Back on topic, I totally agree aircon is invaluable even in a convertible and since having it in my last car and the Z, I wouldn't want to be without it. It's great in really hot or humid weather to keep you cool/fresh and In mild rainy weather, it really helps keep the windows demisted when opening roof and windows is not a pleasant alternative!

Mine needs doing, so I'll probably go to my local ATS again, who did a full anti-bacterial clean and re-gas for under £30 a couple of years ago. When I booked it in, the kind chap told me of a limited time ATS deal via "Amazon Local", so after searching online for the voucher code, I called back to book it in and saved 20 quid. A box of donuts was donated in gratitude ...or should I say donuted in gratitude?
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Telltale sign of missing gas (or weak compressor which is hard to imagine in the UK due to low usage) is if in hot weather the temp of the air from the vents is higher when the car is idling compared to when driving.