Newbie, will be looking for a z3

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
J1m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Newbie, will be looking for a z3

Post by J1m »

Hi folks,

Recently joined up as hoping for some advice and help with getting a used Z3. currently have a year old M135i sitting about 400bhp but I have become the latest casualty to the oil downturn up here in Aberdeen and have just been made redundant, it's not looking good for finding another job. Also looking like I'm gonna have to take a drop in salary if I have to come out of the oil so rather than struggling and stressing about finding the monthly payment for my car I would rather just put it back And buy a car outright for the time being.

Always fancied a convertible as never owned one, I had an e36 M3 evo and just loved it I've always said its the one car I wish I never sold So, in new year looking for a z3 budget of 3k want to have a six cyl so I still have some torque. Now I keep seeing wide body in listings and one eBay ad said "wide body model so has lsd" is this correct? I might end up posting some links for you experts to look over for me.

Here's a pic of my m135 if your interested
Last edited by J1m on Sat 05 Dec, 2015 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Newbie, will be looking for a z3

Post by Koolflyer »

Hi Jim, welcome aboard. It's a good site and lots of sound knowledge when you need it. I've had my 1997 sub £3000 2.8 roadster for the last 2.5 years and love it to bits! It's a pre facelift version so has the wide rear wheel arches to accommodate the wider rears. Lots of power for a fairly light small sports car which is more than ample for me to enjoy myself 8-).

The 3.0 however seems the one people really want and also the M versions, but you'll be paying for the previlage. Good luck and hope you find a Zed that fits your bill. Cheers Pete
Last edited by Koolflyer on Sat 05 Dec, 2015 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

.......also lots of meets and cruises through out the year, which are good fun and interesting.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
J1m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by J1m »

Thanks for the welcome, so it's the pre facelift that has the wide body yes? Was hoping I can fit my bronze bola csr wheels onto a z3 they are 5x120 18"X 8" front et40 and 18"X9" rear et42
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

This might help. The "facelift" occurred around March 1999. This does not apply to the Z3M roadster which had its own unique rear which did not change throughout:-

J1m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by J1m »

Perfect that helps, thanks
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Your wheels should fit on widebody car, maybe you will even want some spacers for them so they look even with the arches.
MpowerRob

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by MpowerRob »

Hi J1m, 3k should get you a good z3 get yourself a 2.8 or 3l more than enough power,you'll love it im sure,I've had loads of BMWs amongst other marques don't worry about getting rid of the m135i I reckon you'll enjoy the z3 more its got tons more character I've driven a m135i and wasn't that impressed thought it was pretty boring and soulless if I'm honest and not that quick,though I'm sure yours at 400bhp is, speed isn't everything though.

I think your onto a winner in buying a car outright much more satisfying never bought into the whole monthly payment hp contract hire thingys plus can't see z3 going down in value anymore so could be a good investment one of the reasons I bought mine.

I like your wheels on the 1 not sure if they'd suit a z though might be too modern looking.
tfp

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by tfp »

MpowerRob wrote: I've driven a m135i and wasn't that impressed thought it was pretty boring and soulless if I'm honest and not that quick,though
Crikey!

Not that quick, what are you used to driving?

I had a go in one and thought it was monstrously quick.

Tim
MpowerRob

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by MpowerRob »

tfp wrote:
MpowerRob wrote: I've driven a m135i and wasn't that impressed thought it was pretty boring and soulless if I'm honest and not that quick,though
Crikey!

Tim
My other car is a 911 turbo :D

But like I said speed isn't everything, sshh don't tell anyone but I enjoy my z3 more than the 911 turbo, hope there's no one on the 911UK forum reading this ill be crucified :lol:
MpowerRob

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by MpowerRob »

tfp wrote:
Crikey!

Tim

My other car is a 911 turbo

But like I said speed isn't everything, sshh don't tell anyone but I enjoy my z3 more than the 911 turbo, hope there's no one on the 911UK forum reading this ill be crucified
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

Don't forget the 2.2 if you find an exceptional one for a good price & good colour, just as much fun.
I was holding out for a 2.8/3.0 but nothing came along so i settled for a 2.2.

Bob
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

were selling our z3 2.8 soon (were going to give a boxster s a go for a few years) would be perfect for you 70 k fsh extended sports leather widebody hardtop . ect ect ect but a friend wants first refusal and me to keep it for him until end of feb :roll:
tfp

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by tfp »

MpowerRob wrote:
tfp wrote:
Crikey!

Tim

But like I said speed isn't everything, sshh don't tell anyone but I enjoy my z3 more than the 911 turbo, hope there's no one on the 911UK forum reading this ill be crucified
I can imagine the turbo being very quick, I've driven the non turbo 3.8cc and recently sold a Cayman S. I have to say, the Cayman S has been my favourite car so far.
J1m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by J1m »

Thanks for the replys, @ beerbelly that sounds good have you any pics? Booked my m135 to have all the fancy bits taken off on 18th Dec, bcs sports cat, m performance exhaust, jb4 & Bluetooth controller, eibach springs, induction kit, etc. Got speaking to the guy who runs the the bmw indy garage and was telling him I fancied a z3 and he said the 2.2 wasn't bad @ lancsbob cheers for the pics.

As much as I will miss my m135 I'm quite looking forward to some drop top driving, as has been said speed isn't everything :P
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I don't know how bigger engine z3 go but my 2.2 is great fun
peter2b
tfp

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by tfp »

I have a 2.2, they go ok, sound nice, look nice in the engine compartment.

The 3.0cc is much quicker and no comparison to a 2.2 in my opinion, so much more low down power.

Having said that, at a budget of £3000 you will struggle to find a 3.0cc. Best looking for a 2.2 or older 2.8 in that price range.

Tim
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

3.0cc is a little small for a Z3 - perhaps a model aeroplane? 3.0 litre would be more like it. :wink:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
tfp

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by tfp »

Robert T wrote:3.0cc is a little small for a Z3 - perhaps a model aeroplane? 3.0 litre would be more like it. :wink:

Cheers R.
oooops, I stand corrected
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

But like I said speed isn't everything, sshh don't tell anyone but I enjoy my z3 more than the 911 turbo, hope there's no one on the 911UK forum reading this ill be crucified[/quote]

I can imagine the turbo being very quick, I've driven the non turbo 3.8cc and recently sold a Cayman S. I have to say, the Cayman S has been my favourite car so far.[/quote]

Bizarrely l drove my friend's near new Cayman S and l wasn't smitten. Sure it was fast (as long as it was in Sport mode, in the others it took time to decide what you asked it to do)
It just felt soulless. Efficient and well made, good looking too, but.....no passion. She sold it soon after and bought a Golf R. I have not driven that, but she seems to love it.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

J1m wrote:Perfect that helps, thanks

Save up and buy my Z3 3.0 M Sport. You won't regret it.
beerbelly

blank

Post by beerbelly »

only got old pics on thie pc j1m we have owned it for about 7 years now and I own a bodyshop and give it a spruce up a couple ofn years back so theres no rust scuffs/scrapes at all some old pics its on black/silver style 108 split rims now tho
still have the 5 spoke oe wheels in this pic
don't have these wheels anymore
being re freshed
ImageImage
if my pal cant convince his wife he needs it by the end of feb it will be put up for sale firstly here then ebay/my mates showroom
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

Mine's in near concours condition, but you'll need a trip to see the bank manager as it's not going to be yours for £3,000
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Might I suggest to advertise it in the Stock Exchange section, if the purpose of this post is to sell the car?
Boosh.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

lightning wrote:Mine's in near concours condition, but you'll need a trip to see the bank manager as it's not going to be yours for £3,000
I have to agree with Boosh, it's getting a bit tiresome now. If you want to sell the car, advertise it somewhere.
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

I would have thought here would be tbe best place, as there are a steady stream of people coming onto the forum wanting to buy a Z3.
Such as the O/P on this thread.
I don't want to be causing offence, so l'll shut up about my car now! I'm sure everybody has had enough if me going on about it, as you say.
Last edited by lightning on Sat 12 Dec, 2015 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

just seen a nice s reg 2.2 on coparts site in Cheshire cat c but the only damage that I can see is a couple of scratches and damage to the soft top
peter2b
J1m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by J1m »

Thanks for looking out bud, not looking to get one until prob end of Jan/Feb but I had never heard of that site so just been looking through, presume it's just like e-bay yeah?
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

peter2b wrote:just seen a nice s reg 2.2 on coparts site in Cheshire cat c but the only damage that I can see is a couple of scratches and damage to the soft top
peter2b
Due to the relatively low value of the Z3 it would not take much damage for the insurance to write one off. Or it could be stolen recovered and the insurance company has paid out on it already.

It could be a good buy. The Cat C listing will reduce the resale value but if you get it cheap in the first place l guess that cancels it out.
malcolm manser

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by malcolm manser »

Having had a 2.8 a couple of years ago, I have now bought a 3.0 auto and can confirm that it is simply worth waiting for, the difference is very noticeable, particularly on low-down grunt. The 2.2 is nice to drive and just as smooth but is no more economical. Price differential in the current market place is only about £1500, and spec on the larger engined model is usually much higher. Grin factor is in a different league !