Decipher INPA codes

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Decipher INPA codes

Post by Julie Z3 »

As above, have run the INPA software and it came back with this code, googled and came up with nothing like nothing I've seen before, have I done something wrong or does anyone recognise any of this?

Errorcode 41 78 01 28 29 04 86 6B 61 A8
Any advice appreciated !
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Decipher INPA codes

Post by Robert T »

Some context information would really help. Where and when does the message appear? Is it when you start INPA, or is this when you try to read the error codes from some part of the car? What interface did you buy and where are you connecting it to on the car - the underdash OBDII port or the round connector under the bonnet? What is the build date of your car?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Hi Robert
Sorry was very vague as usual lol, these are the codes that appear after the history was cleared and the car ran with the inpa connected. this is what I'm using

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161884825150? ... EBIDX%3AIT,

its a 2001 3.0 litre connected via the round port under the bonnet. Having googled a little more it appears these could be BMW hex codes that need to be converted to decimal?
If so there seems to be a large number of faults on a car that seems to run reasonably well?! The only problem I have is starting from warm, from cold she starts immediately.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

INPA normally has text to go with the codes. Can you post a screenshot of INPA with the errors on? What module is this error - I'm assuming the ecu?
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

These are the screenshots from INPA today.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

As we say in IT Support, a screenshot is worth a thousand words. :lol:

No idea what the Error code line means - yes, it's a bunch of hexadecimal numbers, none of which mean anything to me.

The important part of the report is the line that reads:

Code: Select all

65  NW_E-Fehler
Which doesn't mean anything much, but code 65 on an MS43 (the code for the engine management control unit, rather than the engine) seems to mean:

65 Camshaft Position Sensor (Inlet MS43)
Which I found here

The German text reads:

Signal not plausible
Error is relevant to exhaust emissions
debounced error
Error currently available
static error
My guess is that the version of INPA you have has an incomplete set of messages for that particular control module. They are normally much better described than that (take a look at my piece in the Knowledgebase).

It would be worth trying it against some of the other control modules, such as ASC/DSC, the Instrument Cluster and EWS to see if you have some more fault codes logged, just to check what the messages look like.

I did find someone else with the same problem here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... p?t=711583

Cheers R.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Thank goodness I have inpa in English!
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Thanks for the response guys
just my luck to end up with a version on inpa that 's in German! Plus the codes need to be converted to make any sense but the code that appeared twice on the bottom line did convert to the cam sensor too, unless that's just coincidence?
Also the screenshot shows only 10 volts which its not as its charging fine ,will have another go at the weekend when I have a little more time.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Well the first number in the Error code is Hex 41, which is 65 is decimal, and the other numbers probably relate to the other information shown, such as the RPM. The voltage may or may not be the battery/alternator voltage, or it may or may not be the voltage that the ECU runs at, either way it is probably only useful to a BMW technician.

Reading the page I linked to, as the original language for INPA was German, the most accurate messages are therefore in German, as the translations into English will have been done by a third party. The version I have is in German, and if that is true, I may actually be better to stick with it. I have noticed so quite big differences between the sophistication of the various modules, so what you get when plugged into one car is not necessarily the same as you get when plugged into another.

Cheers R.
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Thanks for your input Robert
Looks like an inlet cam sensor will be a good starting point, may give the old one a clean first though
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

Hi Julie,
Before you go rushing in to the inlet cam sensor it is highly likely that there is anything wrong with it if the engine is running correctly.

INPA is a great diagnostic tool, even in German since Google translation will give you the gist of what it says and I am sure the version I have converts from hex to decimal for me so it may be worth studying yours to see if it does the same, but don't expect every code that pops up will guide you to a faulty part.

Your code 65 is telling you that at some time the cam sensor output was outside the limits that the ECU expects it to be. This could be caused by a number of items not related to the cam sensor at all.

In my case it was the MAF on its last legs which I discovered after the replacement cam sensor I fitted made no difference whatsoever!

It is probable that the "fault" code was thrown up on your car by bad luck. My advice would be to note down all information that INPA has given you , which it looks like you have with the screenshots on here, reset the codes, and drive the car normally for a while don't just let it idle whilst you learn your way around the new software. After a week or so check the codes again to see if 65 reappears.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

As said already above, best practice is to first delete the error code and check if it reappears. In my experience, whilst some error codes can be ambiguous e.g. "misfire", "running lean", "running rich" etc, when a code says a cam sensor is faulty - it is faulty. The fault can be an emerging, slight fault and not obvious when driving - I've known practical evidence just being something like a high CO reading at an MOT.
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Thanks guys
I did clear the codes but the weathers not been great for playing with the car so haven't hooked it back up yet. The only problem we have is it sometimes takes a spin or so to start from warm yet is instant from cold first thing in the morning, never had that problem with the old 2.8!