M50 manifold

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
steve.storey

blank

M50 manifold

Post by steve.storey »

Can anyone advise me, im thinking about getting a M50 manifold and kit for my 2.8.As it seems to be a very cheep way of adding extra power. How easy is it to fit and is it really worth it.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: M50 manifold

Post by Southernboy »

I'm sure others will be along to give advice. The manifold is one aspect, then there is a large bore throttle body which needs adding.
Check these links
http://m50manifold.com//index.php?optio ... &Itemid=28

And this is the guy I used to supply my M50 manifold complete with the interface etc etc...
mailto:alpina527@aol.com
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Large bore throttle body is not necessary, I would even advise against it. I have alpina manifold, which is slightly better than m50 mani (but much more expensive), and I have stock throttle. Large bore throttle has it's own issues as sticking and other things, if you like to investigate on internet before making decisions you will find many people complaining and some experienced people advising against.

If you use your 2.8 for street only, I would also advise against m50 mani. You will loose torque at low end rpm, and gain some hp over 5000rpm, but on the street the most necessary is low end. That what makes acceleration so fast. And with your butt you feel torque, not hp, so you will lose some fun factor too.

If you need it for track, where high rpm is normal, usually people are using m50 mani together with more aggressive cams (from s50 or usa s52, or schrick or other), then it makes more sense, and I had seen dyno charts confirming that. Also you will need to chiptune the engine to take the advantage of the changes. You can check dyno charts here, this is the most comprehensive thread I found on this topic: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=327183

I went through this on one car - m52b28 with s52 cams, alpina mani, simota cai, chiptune, making around 230 hp now. Looking forward to install upgraded headers and exhaust. And I will not do it on the other car, I will leave it stock. And still the other car spins tires even better and is more fun on the streets, just because it has 1:4.10 differential (the first has 1:3.15). Tuning takes much money and effort and it changes the perfect balance bmw engineers developed, so if you want to do it as a hobby, for fun, do it, but keep in mind, that each tune changes the balance and everything has it's downside. Most people will not admit bad parts of tuning on the forums, because they spent some money and effort and then it's hard to admit, that it was not worth it.
Last edited by deni2s on Fri 29 Jan, 2016 09:03, edited 1 time in total.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

In tuning don't look at hp numbers, look at torque curve. hp is not so important, because it's just torque multiplied by rpm. m50 manifold just shifts the torque from low rpm to high rpm. If you want improve torque in full rpm range I would advise to upgrade headers (get long ones with equal length) and maybe some aftermarket exhaust. Don't have a proof that exhaust will add something to torque, but at least you will reduce weight of your car, because stock exhaust is quite heavy. And make dyno before and after the mods.
Thesurveyor

M roadster S50

Post by Thesurveyor »

I had an M50 and BBTB fitted professionally to my 1998 2.8 before a remap.
It made about 193 BHP I think (sold now). That lot cost about a grand and I sold it soon after!
Anyway the difference was apparent with the first turn of the key even inside the car. Sounded great, can't say I noticed a huge difference in performance either way, but the noise and different look to the engine were worth it at the time (yes I know a fool and his money etc etc)
steve.storey

blank

Post by steve.storey »

Well thankyou all for your advice. Im not a track racer and the car sits in the garage for 99% of the year i suppose i was just thinking of throwing even more money at it. I think i will leave it alone and just enjoy what i have got.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I have recently done it with mine, and yes there is a dip in low end performance (which isn't really that noticeable) but the difference from 4000 revs upwards is very noticeable.
and that's the range I use for overtaking.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Better spend your money on suspension upgrades first, that's the best for long term ;) After installing m50, you might want to move rev limiter higher (probably vanos engage point too), and using high revs reduces engine life. Good thing is that m52 is very strong engine.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

deni2s wrote:In tuning don't look at hp numbers, look at torque curve. hp is not so important, because it's just torque multiplied by rpm. m50 manifold just shifts the torque from low rpm to high rpm. If you want improve torque in full rpm range I would advise to upgrade headers (get long ones with equal length) and maybe some aftermarket exhaust. Don't have a proof that exhaust will add something to torque, but at least you will reduce weight of your car, because stock exhaust is quite heavy. And make dyno before and after the mods.
Can you please elaborate as to what 'headers' are old boy?
Cheers,
Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Bonzo wrote: you please elaborate as to what 'headers' are old boy?
exhaust manifold
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Ah, thanks awfully.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.