CEL just came on. Any ideas?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ALPHA 3.0i Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

CEL just came on. Any ideas?

Post by ALPHA 3.0i Z3 »

Hi all the CEL ( little engine symbol) just came on on the Z...i can get a code reader tomorrow but wondering if anyone has ideas.
Happened once before, about 2 hours after buying car and went away.
A
Who says size doesn't matter? After a straight 6 3.0 litre....Its hard to go back .
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: CEL just came on. Any ideas?

Post by peter2b »

when mine came on it was due to an air leak on the intake
peter2b
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Code reader is only way to see what has set it off and point you in the right direction, could be cam shaft sensor or any number of things.
Post the code when you get it read.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
ALPHA 3.0i Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ALPHA 3.0i Z3 »

Ill check tomorrow...if weather permits ....and report back with findings..
Who says size doesn't matter? After a straight 6 3.0 litre....Its hard to go back .
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

mine was down to split intake hose. common fault

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
ALPHA 3.0i Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ALPHA 3.0i Z3 »

gookah wrote:mine was down to split intake hose. common fault
I'll check in morning. Rough idea where to look?
A
ALPHA 3.0i Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ALPHA 3.0i Z3 »

Found it on your build on the 2.8.
Cheers
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Could be bad o2 sensors or anything else. Read the error codes, that's the only way to diagnose without useless speculations.
ALPHA 3.0i Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ALPHA 3.0i Z3 »

deni2s wrote:Could be bad o2 sensors or anything else. Read the error codes, that's the only way to diagnose without useless speculations.
Quick plug in today....CEL off shows up a missfire on number 4 @ startup. Coil pack or plug?
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

ALPHA 3.0i Z3 wrote:
deni2s wrote:Could be bad o2 sensors or anything else. Read the error codes, that's the only way to diagnose without useless speculations.
Quick plug in today....CEL off shows up a missfire on number 4 @ startup. Coil pack or plug?
I would guess at coil - swap it with a different one and see if the fault moves with it
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
ALPHA 3.0i Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ALPHA 3.0i Z3 »

bertiejaffa wrote:
ALPHA 3.0i Z3 wrote:
I would guess at coil - swap it with a different one and see if the fault moves with it
Cheers ...bertie....i will do in the week if this **** weather ever stops!!
A
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

ALPHA 3.0i Z3 wrote:
I had this problem on two cylinders and found that the HT lead where it goes into the spark plug cover top had come loose. Mine had been like this for some time it seems as the wires had turned green. I simply trimmed them up and pushed them back in firmly. Might be worth checking that first :shrug
ALPHA 3.0i Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ALPHA 3.0i Z3 »

Wookee wrote:
ALPHA 3.0i Z3 wrote:
I had this problem on two cylinders and found that the HT lead where it goes into the spark plug cover top had come loose. Mine had been like this for some time it seems as the wires had turned green. I simply trimmed them up and pushed them back in firmly. Might be worth checking that first :shrug
Cheers wookie..will do.
A
billysally208

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by billysally208 »

Easy way to check if it is your plugs - put no 4 plug in cylinder 3 and then see if misfire moves to no 3 - set of plugs will be cheaper than coilpack
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I found or rather Robert T found the air leak on the hose after the maf sensor small ribbed hose under the inlet manifold
peter2b
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Coil pack or plug - the sixes don't have HT leads. LT leads don't degrade like HT leads, but could still fail due to chafing, but much less likely.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc