idle control valve

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

idle control valve

Post by wizard4 »

Hi folks lets see what you make of this problem, I had problems with starting the car, rough idling, or tried to start on one cylinder. So firstly what has already been changed on the car, new cam sensor, new lambda sensor, new crankcase pressure valve, new water pump, new thermostat, new ignition leads, new spark plugs. So I took the car to my local garage, got it hooked up to the launcher and it showed that there was an error code for the idle control valve, I purchased a Bosch replacement and had the code cleared, took it for a drive had it re-connected to the launcher whoopee, no error code, fantastic no problems, I wish, tried to start her today its cold but dry here, guess what it wont even fire up, I really am at my wits end and seriously thinking of biting the bullet and scrapping the car.
Any ideas gentlemen before I take that drastic decision.

Cheers

Ray :head:
jacob360

Z4 roadster 2.0i

Re: idle control valve

Post by jacob360 »

fairly new to this forum, but without being to obvious is fuel being pumped through? and is the timing correct? not sure if these have map or maf sensors but that maybe worth checking too
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

They have Maf sensors, the interesting thing is once it does start after a couple of minutes it settles down to a nice smooth idle.

Cheers
John Wilson

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by John Wilson »

I am wondering if all the rubber boots on the air intake side have been replaced correctly. If a jubbillee clip has been tightened without the boot being properly over the lip, it might have slipped off again after the one journey. I know they are a pain to get off and on because theres not much room around them.
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by srichards »

Can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the ignition on? Fuel pump relays being dicky can cause all sorts of bother.
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

Ok checked the rubber boots there fine, as for fuel pump, I can hear it making a hissing sound hen the ignition is turned on and the same when its switched off, however you do make a valid point, as its as if it is getting no fuel, the fly in the ointment is tomorrow it may start fine, so its an intermittent fault.

Cheers
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

To check the fuel supply, you can disconnect the feed at the fuel rail and turn the ignition on - just make sure you have a container to catch the fuel if it pumps out - and a rag or two. If all is not good in that department, you may want to consider the fuel filter as a possible blockage source, and whilst you're under the car, you maight turn on the ignition, and check the entire fuel line from the tank forward for any leaks. Finally, have you checked the ignition coils and the injectors. The coils can be checked easily by removing them one at a time, and fitting a spare spark plug into it, earthing it against the side of the motor and cranking the motor. You will be able to see and hear the crack of the spark if it's operating correctly. The injectors may be dirty, and without removing them you might try adding some injector cleaner to your fuel tank first. Removing them is easy enough, and cleaning them only requires some injector cleaner or electrical contact cleaner (available in a spray can) and a soft tooth brush. Be sure to check that the area around each injector port is dry - if any port surrounds are wet (fuel) you may have to get new rubber seals for them. Be careful when re-fitting them and make sure you re-tighten the fuel rail evenly across the injectors so that they go in without any excessive angular stress.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

Thanks everyone for your contributions and suggestions, I am pleased to say that I found what the culprit is, I disconnected the air temp sensor, and the engine has started without any issues since then, this is the one that fits into the air filter box. However it will be interesting to see what happens with the cold weather we are going to have tomorrow morning, will keep you posted as to results.

Cheers
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

Ok Southernboy looks like I will have to go down the route you suggested, as I am back to square one, it wanted to run on one cylinder, I also noticed what looked like a small amount of white powder in the tail pipe, like ceramic powder. Anyway I did eventually get her started, one thing to note, I had her on the motorway last week, it's the first time I have done that with her, lets just say she rocketed along without a blip, round trip of 170 miles.

Cheers