Rear wheel camber

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
andy & fonz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Rear wheel camber

Post by andy & fonz »

Hi
jacked up the 2.2 2001 Z3 put on axle stands (at jacking points) to change the oil in the diff, noticed the nearside rear wheel was pointing inwards at the bottom offside is upright i.e no lean top or bottom, looking underneath the nearside sub frame mounting bracket has two new hex bolts holding it to bodywork offside still has the allen bolts so do not think the subframe has been out, my first thoughts are accident damage to trailing arm? but having looked at real oem I notice trailing arm mounting rubbers listed as normal and eccentric anyone shed some light on this?
Thanks
andy
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Rear wheel camber

Post by lightning »

Maybe somebody replaced the trailing arm but used the wrong bushes?

You could take some measurements and compare it with the other side. Is the steering wheel straight when you are driving straight ahead?
andy & fonz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by andy & fonz »

hi
nearside rear wheel 20mm further in at the bottom than offside, distance from wings front to wheel and rear to wheel same both sides, other than the new bolts holding the subframe bracket to body there is no sign that the subframe has been off to change bushs, steering wheel was a bit off. centre when driving but balljoints on front wishbones were shot and nearside droparm bracket was twisted through 180 degs have renewed both front wishbones drop arms and steering arms, have found signs of accident damage to front valance nearside front inner wing offside rear wing and inner wing all new and signed and dated feb 07 by the guy who repaired it, trying to get hold of previous owner who had the car 10 years but he is playing hard to get.
andy
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

OK....why would they be playing hard to get l wonder.

If it were me, l'd take it in somewhere that can sort out the alignment. It's not really something you can guess. For instance, you say "N/S rear wheel 20mm further in at bottom than O/S"
How do you know which side is correct? It could be that the N/S is 20mm further in, or the O/S 20mm further out than it should be!
Or both are incorrect. Maybe never properly aligned when it was repaired after the accident in 2007 and been like that for nine years.
andy & fonz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by andy & fonz »

Hi
Agree with you off to get alignment done ( when it stops raining/snowing )
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Rear wheels are not adjustable as standard, but worth geting a 4-wheel check done to give you a pointer in the right direction. Also check the suspension is all ok, as the camber changes with suspension height. Also worth taking measurements across both trailing arms so can compare the two sides for any discrepancy.