Another Alarm Question

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Another Alarm Question

Post by Fender2004 »

I have a 97 car so I have the brick type alarm.

When I disconnect the car battery the alarm sounds, and I am able to silence the alarm with the little round key.
My question is where does the alarm get the power to operate the sounder, as it is disconnected from the main car battery?

Is there a rechargeable battery somewhere that needs changing, if so where would it be?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Another Alarm Question

Post by Robert T »

There is a backup battery on the siren. I don't know if it can be replaced though.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Thanks Robert
lightning

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by lightning »

If the alarm sounds when you disconnect the car battery, then the alarm backup battery is doing it's job and is clearly still serviceable.

Although they usually last about ten years before needing to be replaced. It could be that the battery is on its last legs and cannot properly power the alarm, which may cause it to trigger the siren. More likely the battery is fine and the alarm is reacting to what it thinks is a theft attempt.

There should be an override somewhere, probably a key switch on the alarm itself, for use when servicing the vehicle.
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

When I reconnected the battery after a couple of weeks the alarm didn't sound, but then did when I disconnected a few weeks later, hence the question.
It isn't really a problem just thought I'd ask and gain some more knowledge :rtm:
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

Talking about alarms thought I would throw this one in when I bought the car I didn't get a fob with it, the ignition key just has a button for a light, however there is a small red button on the centre console, occasionally it flashes, when I had an occasion to check the fuses, I had taken the one out for the alarm, when I put it back in the alarm bleeped, I spoke to BMW there advice was that perhaps if I tried to activate it it could cause problems, also the chances of getting a replacement fob very difficult, any thoughts guys.

Cheers
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

hmmm interesting thread. My 2.0l has a factory alarm and it never goes off when I fiddle with the battery etc. I have heard it go off once - for no apparent reason - but apart from that I have been lucky/ignorant of it and any potential issues. Im sure someone will have had more issues with them though and can give a thorough explaination
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

If you have a face lift car I'm sure that their alarms are different :rtm: to mine.
But I could be wrong.
Geoff Crispin

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Geoff Crispin »

Hi
I have the same problem, there are fobs on Ebay £20+
If you look on the Org site under tech/fobs I have asked lots of questions and there are some answers
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Geoff Crispin wrote:Hi
I have the same problem, there are fobs on Ebay £20+
If you look on the Org site under tech/fobs I have asked lots of questions and there are some answers

Do the ones on ebay have the electronics inside or is it just the case? As mine works when it feels like it.
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

I bought a used key & just swapped over the electronics & then you need to "Initialise" it to your car. Process
in the handbook. Don't loose the little electronic chip when you open up the key its seperate from the
electronics board, you won't be able to start the car without it.

Bob
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Had a look on ebay an they are selling the whole thing as in the case and the electronics, so might have a look at them. I've already reprogrammed my alarms to the car so I'm ok doing that again.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

For anyone reading this thread, it only only referring to the early alarm with the separate fob and not to the later alarm with the buttons on the key. There are therefore no chips of electronics to swap over as we are not talking about the key blade, only the separate fob unit. They key switch on the siren relates only to the early alarm, and I am not sure that the later alarm even has a backup battery in it.

Regarding the remotes, I believe there are a few different types of remote which operate different frequencies, aimed at different markets, so it would be wise to limit ebay searches to the UK, if you have a UK spec car. I'm not sure about the separate fob type, but there are even infrared remotes for the Z3, though I don't know which market these were for.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Robert T wrote:For anyone reading this thread, it only only referring to the early alarm with the separate fob and not to the later alarm with the buttons on the key. There are therefore no chips of electronics to swap over as we are not talking about the key blade, only the separate fob unit. They key switch on the siren relates only to the early alarm, and I am not sure that the later alarm even has a backup battery in it.

Regarding the remotes, I believe there are a few different types of remote which operate different frequencies, aimed at different markets, so it would be wise to limit ebay searches to the UK, if you have a UK spec car. I'm not sure about the separate fob type, but there are even infrared remotes for the Z3, though I don't know which market these were for.

Cheers R.

Thanks for the info Robert
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

Thanks Robert T I was advised by BMW to look at the alarm and there should be a serial number there giving the frequency. And mine is the separate fob which BMW class as aftermarket.

Cheers
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

wizard4 wrote:Thanks Robert T I was advised by BMW to look at the alarm and there should be a serial number there giving the frequency. And mine is the separate fob which BMW class as aftermarket.

Cheers
That is rubbish, they are fitted to the cars by BMW when they arrive in this country, before being sent out to the dealerships

Last edited by Geoff H on Wed 09 Mar, 2016 00:35, edited 1 time in total.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

are you able to post up images of what keys/fobs you actually have?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

Perhaps i should clarify, what BMW meant was the alarm was not factory fitted, instead fitted after car was purchased, the fact remains can I get the fob for it. :)

Cheers
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

wizard4 wrote:Perhaps i should clarify, what BMW meant was the alarm was not factory fitted, instead fitted after car was purchased, the fact remains can I get the fob for it. :)

Cheers
The alarm on my M is aftermarket - viper version, this is why I asked for images of any fobs, or the siren itself that will help us understand what make of alarm has been installed
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

wizard4 wrote: however there is a small red button on the centre console, occasionally it flashes,
That sounds like the 3G.EWS alarm which I put in my other post, the small red button is for turning off the interior sensors when the hood is down. Do you have sensors in the top corners of your widescreen ?
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

Yes I do Geof H

Cheers
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

wizard4 wrote:Yes I do Geof H

Cheers

Then it sounds like you have the 3G.EWS alarm then, fitted by BMW. New remotes used to be available from BMW some years ago for about £30, they maybe available on somewhere like eBay, I brought replacement "remotes" from off there, just the outer case and a new battery, and you put the inners from your old remote in it. You sometime see the whole remotes for sale, if you can get hold of one (new or secondhand) all you have to do is "sync" it with the alarm, this entails removing the glovebox to get at the electrics behind it, there is a post on how to "sync" it on here somewhere

Edit
This is what they are like
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-BMW-1 ... 309wt_1222
wizard4

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by wizard4 »

Many thanks Geoff H I never got the remote with the car but I will look in e-bay.

Best Wishes

Cheers
:)