Repositioning the heated seat switches

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Repositioning the heated seat switches

Post by Koolflyer »

You might have noticed that the various switches in a Z3 do vary somewhat. I have a '97 2.8 Roadster with the two heated seat switches tucked aft to the rear of the centre console......really useful whilst driving!

So, my first tinkering job of the year was to have all the switches up front like my friends 02 facelift...much more sensible. The only thing that has now been moved to the rear is the little red flashing alarm light, but that so happens to be where my friends facelift is anyway.

You have a couple of options, i) cut the six wires to each of the two heated seats and also the three wires to the alarm (30 joints to solder) and tuck them under the console out the way, or ii) don't cut the heated seats but find the main loom and peel the relevent wires back half way, which just leaves the three alarm wires to cut and solder (only six joints). I like to do things thoroughly even if it takes longer, so I took option ii).

As I got further into the process I took photos of the operation so I had reference to the lay of the wires and switches etc, and also to share the job with you. Firstly I got myself one large box and a small container, then disconnected the battery. Next I needed to remove the whole centre console, so it's just a case of removing the radio/CD and its fitting plate, this then reveals two screw at the top of the radio/cd aperature as well as removing two screws on the left and the right, again inside of the aperature. These two release the heating control unit which will unclip from the back of the console.

(The three knobs pull off). Unscrew the two small srews on the console eachside of the footwell. Remove the gear knob (pull upwards), the leather gaiter and foam sound muffler.

Unscrew the ashtray compartment, and the single screw underneath that (securing console). Unclip the leather gaiter around the handbrake (this will stay in position once the console is lifted clear. At the rear unscrew a screw either side of the console, you may need to reconnect the battery to move the forward whilst you do this. Now it becomes a bit fiddly getting the console up and out. I would recommend placing a cloth over the rearcompartments behind and across the seats as you don't want to scratch these.

You need to lift the rear of the console up slightly and pull it rearwards, because at the front end of the console just under the radio/CD aperature are two 15mm plastic engaging lugs, becareful as you don't want to break these off!

As the whole thing comes away you can get your hands underneath a gradually disconnect each switch connector one by one., also the cig lighter, the two window buttons and hazard warning light button. Don't forget the small ashtray wire and bulb as well. Finally unclip the heated seat switches at the rear. Now carefully lift the console away.
Now for the surgery and a sharp knife! The wiring loom we want to find is buried under the carpet running along the lefthand side of the propshaft tunnel.

From the rear push to two heated seat switches under the carpet next to the handbrake and you'll see where they meet the main loom.

Undo the two ladder type cable ties and cloth tape and you can now separate the two heated seat switches from the loom. Rewrap the cloth tape back around the main loom adding some PVC tape where needed. You will need to cut the carpet and its think padding along the centre to allow the heated seat switch wires to be brought forward. Again secure these neatly with the cloth tape and new PVC tape at regulat intervals. At this point you will not need to separart from the main loom anymore as your heated seat switch wires and plugs will now reach the forward switch panel up front. I now have LH heat seat switch, ASC, power hood switch, RH heat seat switch, aircon and computer up front. If you don't have a power hood then you can leave the alarm light on the front, however, if like mine you do, then I made up a nice new sheathed loom with the three new wies within.

I cut the alarm light wire, soldered and heat shrinked the joints and ran the new loom exactly along with the main loom reconnecting the ladder ties as I routed it rearwards to the rear panel.
You'll now see why I took photos along the way as you look at all the screws and switches you've collected in your boxes! It's little things like which way up does the aircon switch go or can you remember which way up are the window switchs....great thing mobile phones!

Thereafter, its just a case of fitting in the reverse process, but take it easy because I reckon it would be easy to break those two large lugs for instance, or a plug connector....remember the plastic is old and it's still cold, but after saying that nothing broke on me.

I'm very pleased with the job and having all the controls together, hope this helps and good luck. :thumb:

Koolflyer
Last edited by Koolflyer on Tue 08 Mar, 2016 04:12, edited 1 time in total.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: Repositioning the heated seat switches

Post by bertiejaffa »

good work that man
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

I wonder of that is why I couldn't find the wires for my heated seats. I was looking under the dash where as they could be fed through between the seat to the back. Mine is a 97 car also.
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

wonder of that is why I couldn't find the wires for my heated seats. I was looking under the dash where as they could be fed through between the seat to the back. Mine is a 97 car also
I just separated the 12 x2 heating wires back as far as I needed to go, so not sure how forward that loom goes. All I do know is that it runs under the left side of the gear lever and forward on the passenger side well.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White