cd problem

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

cd problem

Post by mickdev »

Hello guys , got a z3 with the bmw 6 cd changer in the boot , last year I got the cd error message and thanks to the forum I used the card trick to release the cartridge, turned out I had an extra cd in which it picked up and removed when I put the empty cartridge back in.
Yesterday got the cd error message again , so I once again did the card trick , got the cartridge out , only 6 cd"s in and when I got it out I pressed the eject button, flashed green for a little while then put the cartridge back in , it said no discs or no magazine depending on what I did, but as soon as I put the 6 cd"s back in and put the cartridge in it says no discs and will not eject without using the card, any ideas ?
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: cd problem

Post by Boosh »

Hi, I occasionally get similar error message on the head unit, but it is usually caused by a CD tray getting stuck half-way in or out. I therefore have to take the changer apart, manually turn the cog that pulls the tray back in, and put it all back together again. The last couple of times the tray got stuck, I managed to release it by pressing eject on the changer and turning the ignition on at the same time. In your case, it might be the arm that catches the magazine that does not engage properly, preventing the changer from sensing discs have been inserted, and also from releasing the magazine. You might just need to take the changer out of its box and grease up the arm and its spring. Think I might have seen a YouTube video explaining all that when my changer first started playing up. Will have a look for you.
Hope that helps a bit,

Boosh.

Edit: here's the link. https://youtu.be/bmL8MAOzcMs
Or better still, though audio's not great: https://youtu.be/Mk5LWzY9BSg
Hope that helps to get it sorted. Top down AND music is the best formula.

Boosh.
mickdev

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mickdev »

Thanks Boosh, any advice is always welcome
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I recall having a problem with a cd changer in a car ages ago. I found I had to kind of reset it by unplugging the cd cable from the back of the head unit, then power up the headunit without the changer attached, then switch it all off and plug it back in again. No real idea what the problem was, but the classic turn-it-off-and-back-on-again seemed to do the trick! :lol: