Busted window regulator mounting points

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Busted window regulator mounting points

Post by mrscalex »

I stripped the driver's door down today hoping the sticking window problem would be cured by a quick clean and lube.

However the regulator was fractured on one mounting point and bent on another. No big deal so far as I can replace that. The worst problem was that all 3 of the mounting points on the door itself were either broken off (the rear most barrel pin) or fractured in the vicinity (front 2). Picture attached of front 2 showing nearby fractures.

Do I have any hope of repairing the door and getting it back straight? Especially as I need a regulator anyway? Or would I be better off getting a complete door? Do nearly 20 year old doors mount up okay on a different car or do they tend to wear to the mounting points on the original?

Passenger door does the same so expecting the same problem there.

Thanks.

PS might be after a pair of boston green doors depending on response here.

ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Re: Busted window regulator mounting points

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Had to replace the window mechanism on mine, the central mounting point had sheared off, I got a garage to spot weld it back on, but it isn't a quick job.

Well I have had to order a few parts and now the long wait for delivery.

The annoying driver's window kept getting stuck about half way down, I have bought a brand new mechanism from BMW but it doesn't come with the little runners which on mine have worn away. The middle mount had also snapped so that got welded!

On this one you can see the wear in the top left.

Should be a bolt thread here!

Out comes the welder

we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Yes, the barrel bolt shearing off is one of the mounting points gone on mine. If it was just that point I think I would be tempted to have it welded too (though it must be fiddly to get it back and in exactly the right position).

However the metal has fractured near the two forward mounting points. The mounting points themselves are intact but as the metal has distorted nearby from the 2 fractures I doubt the regulator would sit right. And it's unusual stresses that cause the damage in the first place. I don't think those fractures can be stitched - they are virtually inaccessible for a start.

In my case I found the bolt on the rear most mounting point was loose so the arms were flapping around, probably causing the original problem.

On the basis a 2nd hand regulator might be £50 anyway (I need one of those as that's damaged too) then I might as well look at picking up a whole door which might be £80-£100 if I shop around. Shame to loose the original metal but I can't see much alternative.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Door replaced and a salutary tail.

I saw the window of the replacement door working before saying yes. It was a little sluggish but I thought a strip, clean and lube would cure this. I wasn't able to examine the door and mechanism for fractures as the door panel was on. So I said yes. I popped back later when the door was off the car, was in a bit of hurry, didn't check it and off I went.

I mounted the door and connected it up no problem. However the window was binding a little more now.

On closer inspection the replacement door had the missing central barrel locating pin missing. And the regulator was fractured in this location also. A previous owner had fashioned an unattractive but essentially workable fix. I haven't examined the other mounting points yet - that was enough for one day's disappointment.

The lesson is this is clearly a week area on a Z3. If you're buying a secondhand door insist the door panel is popped off (they are rarely sold with the panel as it's worth as much as the door it would seem). Check the regulator mounting points and the regulator as thoroughly as possible. It is difficult as it's so cramped. But what would seem to be the weakest point of all, the central barrel pin is easy to see. Will put some pictures up in due course so people can see what to look for.
ImageImage