Bonnet fitting

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Bonnet fitting

Post by mrscalex »

I have badly peeling lacquer on my bonnet, boot lid and rear bumper. At some stage the car will get a full respray but I can't justify that currently. So I'm obtaining parts from breakers and changing them instead. I've just swapped a door and was surprised how easy that was, so I'm hopeful the boot lid and bumper will be relatively straight-forward too.

I was planning on having the bonnet resprayed as I guessed swapping was a big job. But I suspect my £350 budget is unrealistic. That said if anyone knows somewhere cheap and effective in the Swindon/West country area please let me know.

Otherwise I'm back to thinking about a bonnet swap too. But I would imagine it's not an easy job and probably needs 3 people. Has anyone done this? Am I taking on too much?

Thanks.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Bonnet fitting

Post by mrscalex »

It really is bad by the way...

ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Mor61e

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mor61e »

It's a very easy job removing and fitting a bonnet. I've done it countless times on different BMWs and they're all basically the same (obviously excluding reverse opening bonnets :lol: )

Just unclip the washer jet hose, then get 1 person on each side of the bonnet, rest the bonnet on your shoulder while supporting the back corner and remove the 2 bolts each side securing the bonnet to the hinge. I can't remember if the pistons are attached to the bonnet but if they are then make sure you unclip those first (while supporting the bonnet)

The fun part is lining the new one up afterwards :D
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Mor61e wrote:The fun part is lining the new one up afterwards :D
Well exactly, which is the part of things I'm asking about really. Is it just a case of patience over say 2-3 hours? Or is it one of those you might never get it right and end up wanting to jump up and down on it in frustration jobs?
ImageImage
Mor61e

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mor61e »

mrscalex wrote:
Mor61e wrote:The fun part is lining the new one up afterwards :D
Well exactly, which is the part of things I'm asking about really. Is it just a case of patience over say 2-3 hours? Or is it one of those you might never get it right and end up wanting to jump up and down on it in frustration jobs?
It's just something to have patience with. If you're only removing the bonnet from the hinges then you just have forward, backward, left and right which isn't too difficult

If you take the hinges off as well then you have up and down on top of that which makes it tricky