Won't jumpstart?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Won't jumpstart?

Post by Warrior »

Having committed the cardinal sin of allowing the (new last year) battery to discharge I've had to jump start zeddie twice in the past couple of months.

A bit of a run and a 5 mile round trip enables a normal start and put on charge for a few hours and she's good to go for a few weeks.

Today however, there's enough power to remotely unlock, the lights glow dimly but there's clearly not enough ooomph to turn over....but more importantly she won't jumpstart?

I'm trickle charging as we speak and will try another set of cables but in the meantime is there anything else to consider?
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Won't jumpstart?

Post by Warrior »

Sorted!

1 hour on charge and she's fired up...
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

had the same on my zed when I first got her,I would charge the battery she would start 2 or 3 times, then dead, charge again same thing, new battery ok ever since, some batteries don't like being fully discharged
peter2b
weegeoff

Z4 roadster 2.0i

Post by weegeoff »

Try leaving on charge for 24 Hours
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Check out what your alternator is putting out with the car running, should be about 14volts at least, mine was giving less than 13volts and after a run using lights car was dead next time I tried to start it. Plugged in a volt meter I have and saw alternator was below par, fitted new unit and all fine with voltage output now.

Colb
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

It will probably be the jump cables that won't allow the jumpstart.
Pingu
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

colb wrote:Check out what your alternator is putting out with the car running, should be about 14volts at least.....
Only when > 2000rpm though I think?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Thanks all.............

I don't think there's a charging problem, I haven't been driving her much over the winter months so all of my own making. I understand a very low battery may not allow a jump start?

Been on a trickle charger since yesterday morning and all fully charged.

Until the next time :dunce:
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

You may not know if the battery is any good just yet even if it takes a charge. As peter2b says some batteries will take a charge and then die again after a time. That's what mine did.

Mine ended up so knackered it wouldn't jump start and it wouldn't register anything on my Ctek. It's got a new battery now and stays on the Ctek trickle charging.

I got the correct heavy duty battery (Exide) for £45 off ebay with delivery. Very easy to pay double that if you drop in to a quick fit centre.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)