Seats / backache

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Seats / backache

Post by Alan W »

Being 58 I know I'm hardly a spring chicken.. but I have never had any back problems of any kind until I bought my Z3.

If I drive anything more than a short journey I get a a pain across the small of my back.

I have tried all kinds of seat positions and have even installed Southernboy's seat lifting kit.

The car has been off the road for a year and my back has been fine, then I dorove it for the first time last weekend and the back pain has returned.

I'd be interested to hear if others have the same issue and how they deal with it.

I am now considering looking for a set of sport seats.. but although they are clearly going to be more comfortable I don';t want to waste my money if the problem doesn't then go away?

Maybe I'm just too old and need to get a Z4 instead lol!!!
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Seats / backache

Post by colb »

I noticed the same when I got my Z3, used seat adjustments to find most comfortable position which went some way to resolve the back ache problem but on longer drives it still occurs. Not tried anything else just been putting up with it. Daily car is a SUV with quite upright seating and have no problems with that at my age 62 coming 63.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by srichards »

There's nothing worse than uncomfortable seats.

Personally I find the Z ok as I prefer to sit lower in a car and that lets me do just that. The fully adjustable electric recaros with lumbar support are the best seats I've found for comfort and range of adjustability.

Is the steering wheel at relaxed wrist length from your arms? Having it too far away or at too high an angle may induce back strain. If you can drop the steering wheel height it might make it easier.

From what I remember lack of thigh and knee support in a seat can make lower back pain worse. The recaros with the pull out front are excellent for this as you can have them pulled out at the front so you can get extra support if you are tall.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I'm 63 and nearly 6 ft but I find my z3 sport seats very comfortable as if made to measure, last year I went to the Le Mans did 2 runs first to folkstone 5hr trip to the tunnel 1 stop for fuel over the other side 2 stops 1 for fuel the other nature stop nearly 800 miles got out each time without any problems my only slight problem is getting out of the car as I have the seat low
peter2b
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Must be to do with body shape. I find the standard seats in my zed more comfortable that pretty much anything else I've ever driven, as they actually support my back. And I have real back problems!

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Wookee

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Wookee »

I think there is definitely something to be said about thigh support. I'm 6'5" and just fit in the Z3, but it is comfortable for me to drive long distances and I think this has something to do with the angle I sit in it.

On the other hand my wife has a TT and that gives me backache after about 50 miles as it is more upright with little thigh support, and I don't quite fit in it. My other car is an old Corsa and this gives me backache from the lack of thigh support, but I solve that with a Halfords lumbar support that works really well. Perhaps something for the OP? :shrug
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

swmbo has a new E 250 Merc after 20 miles I get a knumb bum even my old Robin Hood 2b has more comply seats (cobra Monaco) I can get out of it after 250 miles like my zed in the same state as when I got in
peter2b
abh29

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by abh29 »

I find the sports seats in the z3 very comfortable, runs from North Wales to Le Mans never leave any back trouble.
My wife has a QQ and the seats in that are quite ,good in particular the lumber support. The X1 was ordered with sports seats and lumber support (find it stupid that BMW regard this as an extra) very good--------- but I find neither as good as the Z3 seats.
Z3 2.2 Sport Silver
X1
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Also being (a young at heart) 58 - you may benefit from my experience.
My LHD Z is my daily drive. About a year ago (after 8 years of ownership) I developed a problem with my left hip. After a couple of months, I figured out that it was due to the stress on my hip from getting in and out of the car.
Since then, to get in, I first sit in the car and then bring my feet inside. Getting out, I firstly put both feet on the ground.
Pretty uncool :oops: but no problems since.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You might want to try getting 2 "thin" cushions - one for your butt and the other to fit into the arch of your back. If you get the BH to stitch them so they "hinge" it'll save fiddling about every time you get in and out the car. I have a butt cushion which I just wouldn't do without. It's only about 40mm thick, but makes a massive difference to the general comfort of the Z seat. Also stops my legs getting sweaty in summer... :wink:

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Mike123

M roadster S50

Post by Mike123 »

I can only comment on the Z3M seats.

My wife and I (very different shapes and sizes!) both found that when I raised the front edge of the seats by about 20mm using spacers they became really comfortable.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

srichards wrote:There's nothing worse than uncomfortable seats.

Personally I find the Z ok as I prefer to sit lower in a car and that lets me do just that. The fully adjustable electric recaros with lumbar support are the best seats I've found for comfort and range of adjustability.

Is the steering wheel at relaxed wrist length from your arms? Having it too far away or at too high an angle may induce back strain. If you can drop the steering wheel height it might make it easier.

From what I remember lack of thigh and knee support in a seat can make lower back pain worse. The recaros with the pull out front are excellent for this as you can have them pulled out at the front so you can get extra support if you are tall.
Magnetchief

M roadster S52

Post by Magnetchief »

Mike123 wrote:I can only comment on the Z3M seats.

My wife and I (very different shapes and sizes!) both found that when I raised the front edge of the seats by about 20mm using spacers they became really comfortable.
This we one if the very first things I did to my ///M.
Purchased set of parts to raise the front of the seat. Much more comfortable.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Warrior wrote:
srichards wrote:There's nothing worse than uncomfortable seats.

For some reason my comments re this post haven't appeared but I was commenting on the suggestion that the steering wheel height can be dropped. Is it just my model or have I missed something as my wheel doesn't appear to have any adjustment?
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

abh29 wrote:I find the sports seats in the z3 very comfortable, runs from North Wales to Le Mans never leave any back trouble.
My wife has a QQ and the seats in that are quite ,good in particular the lumber support. The X1 was ordered with sports seats and lumber support (find it stupid that BMW regard this as an extra) very good--------- but I find neither as good as the Z3 seats.
same last year I went to le mans 24hr most comply trip I've done so far
peter2b
srichards

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by srichards »

Looks like you can't alter the rake of the steering wheel. I can't find it in my handbook. I find that really poor! I've never had a car where you couldn't apart from a 1960s triumph. It's unbelievable that a car made in the last 20 odd years doesn't have full steering wheel rake adjustment.
Trevsky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Trevsky »

I have a 1.9 with standard seats and also find them lacking in lumbar support. I think if I ever take the seats out to do the runner bushes I will try to fit a 1" or so thick pad inside the back rest. Wonder if anyone has done it?
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

srichards wrote:Looks like you can't alter the rake of the steering wheel. I can't find it in my handbook. I find that really poor! I've never had a car where you couldn't apart from a 1960s triumph. It's unbelievable that a car made in the last 20 odd years doesn't have full steering wheel rake adjustment.
that's on thing that surprised me and a heated screen got an old mondeo that has both
peter2b
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

As soon as i got my Z3 i had back problems but since using a 10" x 8" cushion
placed at bottom back its now cured. It seams that there is a void right at
the bottom that doesn't support your back. It maybe that the cushion's sagged
with age (or maybe its me (64))

Bob
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Now tried every possible seat configuration to no avail so I searched eBay for 'car lumbar cushion' and a few came up.. I've ordered a small memory foam black leather look one with little perforations for about a tenner which will hopefully look very unobtrusive and do the trick.

1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'