Strut braces

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ben5010

Z3 roadster 2.8

Strut braces

Post by ben5010 »

Hi all,

I am looking at getting some rear upper and lower strut braces for my Z3, I have read that the lower strut brace can be a concern with ground clearance, I am currently on H&R 30mm lowering springs and shocks.

Does anyone have an opinion on the results of fitting these braces?

Ben
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Strut braces

Post by BladeRunner919 »

An upper rear brace would be pointless because the top of the towers are located next to a u-section that runs across the car. I don't run any braces, but a lower rear one is supposed to deliver a decent benefit, albeit at the expense of some ground clearance. Have a look at this for some info:

https://zroadster.org/articles/basic-bm ... shwick.41/
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Put a front brace on. Rear braces dont do anything. The problem with the rear is overly soft subframe bushes. You are far better off changing the bushes for poly.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
ben5010

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ben5010 »

Ahh two conflicting comments there.. Anyone else care to add?
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Yes there is a member on here that had a rear strut brace pinched and it was only when inspecting under the car a few months later that it was noticed.
Now that makes me believe they are not doing that much, or the effect is not shown very much in daily driving

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
ben5010

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ben5010 »

Oh dear, that must of been annoying to find out it had been stolen.

I plan to use the car on track, nothing quite like a top down track day in the summer.

I found a pair of rear strut braces from Bertini, has anyone had any experience with this brand?
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

ben5010 wrote:Oh dear, that must of been annoying to find out it had been stolen.

I would have been more annoyed to realise the only noticeable difference had been in my wallet all along

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

I have a front strut, rear lower strut and body braces. I think there was a definite improvement in ride/handling when all three were on the car.
Ground clearance with standard height rear springs is just ok, any lower would be too risky IMO

:cheers

Bonzo
Last edited by Bonzo on Thu 07 Apr, 2016 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

ben5010 wrote:Oh dear, that must of been annoying to find out it had been stolen.

I plan to use the car on track, nothing quite like a top down track day in the summer.

I found a pair of rear strut braces from Bertini, has anyone had any experience with this brand?
The Bertini Brand is by a chap I've met, he always dreamed of designing a car, and did so.... with the Z3 as it's base/shell/donor.

The cars look great, with various individual custom made parts and some parts from various modern day car e.g. lights from the new FIAT 500.

Anthony has also now started to manufacture strut braces, with some very happy customers, I've not had one, but not heard any negatives.
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
ben5010

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ben5010 »

It would be great to hear from anyone who has fitted the lower brace while on lowering springs.

I live in London and my girlfriend drives the car a fair bit, I don't want to put the lower one on to have smashed to pieces by the evil speed humps after a few months.

The car is currently on H&R 30mm lowering springs with 18" mv1s