Headlight Cleaning

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Rocketbike

Z3 roadster 1.9

Headlight Cleaning

Post by Rocketbike »

My headlights are going a bit grotty on the inside, but I'm not sure how to remove the covers to clean them. The clips don't seem to release the plastic covers. Could someone point me in the right direction as to how to take the covers off so I can clean them up
Thanks
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Re: Headlight Cleaning

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Not tried myself, but I think you'd have to heat gently in an oven (I'm not joking) and they come apart.

Southernboy on here has loads of detail, he sells clear indicator upgrades that require this process being done at home (DIY)
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Are you sure it's the inside? They do go cloudy, but it's the surface that is the problem. I'd suggest you try this before going 'inside' the lights:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Headlight-Re ... ration+kit
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I agree with Blades....the headlight covers lens generally stays good on the inside. If the inside is the issue, you can remove the unit from the car and strip off all the rear attachments and simply give it a wash with water and some liquid soap by sloshing it around the inside. Make sure you rinse it thoroughly to remove any traces of soap afterwards, and allow it to dry 100%.
As a consideration, if the inside has been somehow affected, you might have a careful look at the seal areas when you replace the fittings at the back. They should seal 100% to avoid any chance of water or dust getting in there. Whatever you do,
DO NOT USE A CLOTH OR SPONGE ETC TO WIPE ON THE REFLECTIVE SURFACES INSIDE THE UNIT... IT WILL RUB THE SILVERING OFF FAIRLY EASILY !! AND AVOID TOUCHING THOSE SILVERED SURFACES WITH YOUR FINGERS - YOU WILL LEAVE FINGER PRINTS ON THEM AND THAT WILL BE AN ISSUE....

If you want to split the unit open, then you will need to remove all fitted bits as well as the chrome clips around the unit. Then place in a pre-heated oven at 100 degrees centigrade for aprox 15 - 20 minutes. Use a broad flat bladed tool to lever between the two halves and separate them. The sealant is pretty sticky but will yield. If necessary place it back in the oven for a few minutes at a time to make the going easier. When you want to re-assemble, place the two halves in the oven and heat them again for around 25 - 20 minutes, and then carefully align the two halves and press them together replacing the clips as you go around the perimeter. Best is to fit a couple of clips on the one side ( upper or lower) then a couple on the opposite side so that you don't end up with it jamming on one side because it's skewed. The gunk gets stiff /hard fairly quickly but let everything cool thoroughly before you start re-fitting the light holders etc at the back. Also, you're likely to get some of the gunk on your hands and on the outer areas of the unit, so have some rags and mineral turpentine or such to clean up.
You will need an oven which is large enough to have the door closed when heating to avoid the heating elements from glowing excessively when the unit is placed in the oven. The oven will maintain the 100 C. more constantly and uniformly if the door can be closed. Make sure the body of the unit does not come into contact with any heating elements - it will damage the plastic !!

Finally, if the above seems daunting, try asking Spurs fan who posted a reply above, to supply you a decent set of replacement headlights... you can always sell your set to set of the cost and save yourself a lot of effort. I did see he had a set with clear indicator lenses going for around £150 recently, which is an absolute bargain !!
Last edited by Southernboy on Fri 08 Apr, 2016 08:30, edited 1 time in total.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
ben5010

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ben5010 »

Toothpaste is a good way to remove grime from headlights, I've used it a couple of times and has come up well.
Rocketbike

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rocketbike »

Thanks for the responses. I shall take a good look at them on a decent day and work out what I need to do with them
Cheers
boustrophedon

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by boustrophedon »

I buffed mine in situ with an electric drill fitted with a buffing wheel and plastic polishing bar.
Rocketbike

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rocketbike »

You were right, all the misting and dullness was on the outside like a film over the top half of each headlight. I covered the lights in some plastic window cream a bit like mild T cut, and went over it slowly with a battery drill and small mop, just keeping it moving. Lights are 100% clearer, and 90% of marks have gone, with just a few deep marks from 18 years use. Only took about 20 minutes to do both. Thanks :)
RockyDave

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by RockyDave »

If the headlight lenses are really bad I'd suggest using the "3M Headlight restoration kit"
http://www.3mdirect.co.uk/3m-headlight- ... 39073.html

I used this kit on our ancient Mk.1 Ford Focus and the kit brought them up like new!

Dave.
Image Image
2002 Z3 2.2i Sport Roadster Titanium Silver
2008 E61 520d Deep Sea Blue
1955 R25/3 motorcycle
abh29

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by abh29 »

I have used Meguires Headlight Restoration for a few years on e39 and e61 found it very good.
On e61 found it easier to just taken headlight out to work on.
Z3 2.2 Sport Silver
X1
Robin82

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robin82 »

I'll second the 3m kit - takes a little work but gave fantastic results.

A much quicker method if you have the kit - machine polish with a hard cutting pad. You'll need a medium to hard polish for a first pass over then pass over again with a finishing polish. Or get the all in one stuff for a single pass over. Did this on a mates zed and came up almost as well (barely a difference) in a fraction of the time.

**also did this on the rear screen with amazing results...
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Robin82 wrote:A much quicker method if you have the kit - machine polish with a hard cutting pad. You'll need a medium to hard polish for a first pass over then pass over again with a finishing polish. Or get the all in one stuff for a single pass over. Did this on a mates zed and came up almost as well (barely a difference) in a fraction of the time.
My machine polisher arrived today and was put to instant use. I happened to do exactly this with the headlights. Meguirs 105 then 205. Looking like new now.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Rocketbike

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rocketbike »

I ended up using the 3M kit in the end. After a couple of months all the grot returned and the lights looked just as bad. This actually takes the whole surface off so should'nt be a problem for a very long time. Took about an hour to do all told