Non OEM door mirrors

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Non OEM door mirrors

Post by mrscalex »

Does anyone know what these door mirrors are and how they've been made to fit apparently perfectly?

ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Non OEM door mirrors

Post by Gazza »

Those are from an ///M roadster.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Look like OEM Z3M wing mirrors, the seller also has a quad exhaust fitted, was up for sale last year in Wales, on the same site with the same pictures, pretty sure the same seller.

Some nice extras, chrome grills, wheels, exhaust, speakers... if they are genuine ///M mirrors they are expensive.
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

BMW Z3M mirrors

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Doesnt seem to have any rear view mirror on the pic - usually you see the oval M mirror as well
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Shame the wheels are fouling on the bonnet
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Z3M are they? Not familiar with such finery having a 1.9!

I went to see it tonight as I'm in Swansea at the moment. Nice guy selling it.

The paintwork is unfortunately in quite poor condition all round. The doors/cards have been cut to take 4 speakers. The wheels are too big for the arches - that's true. Has just had a lot of money spent to get it through the MOT so a lot of the usual brake and suspension problems are sorted.

Would be interesting enough for the parts at the right money.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

mrscalex wrote:Z3M are they? Not familiar with such finery having a 1.9!

I went to see it tonight as I'm in Swansea at the moment. Nice guy selling it.

The paintwork is unfortunately in quite poor condition all round. The doors/cards have been cut to take 4 speakers. The wheels are too big for the arches - that's true. Has just had a lot of money spent to get it through the MOT so a lot of the usual brake and suspension problems are sorted.

Would be interesting enough for the parts at the right money.
replacement body parts are always available - mirrors are probably worth £500 alone
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

bertiejaffa wrote:replacement body parts are always available - mirrors are probably worth £500 alone
As much as that are they? Mind you it could easily cost £200 to put standard mirrors back on it and sell it on.
ImageImage
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

mrscalex wrote:
bertiejaffa wrote:replacement body parts are always available - mirrors are probably worth £500 alone
As much as that are they? Mind you it could easily cost £200 to put standard mirrors back on it and sell it on.
They made just 991 Z3M in the UK, if you discount how many of those cars are left (you aren't gonna sell from a working model) it gives you an indication of how rare these RHD versions are. (Although Southernboy knows how the transplant LHD versions :wink: )
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The only difference between LHD and RHD mirrors - M or non M versions - are the little bases which fit to the doors. If you have LHD units and want to convert to RHD then get a set of RHD bases and fit them to the LHD mirrors, and the reverse to convert the other way. Bases are available in a hard plastic material brand new from a supplier on eBay. They have the added benefit of not corroding as the OEM metal ones do. The actual mirror housing is plastic with only the inner motor mounting being made from an alloy very similar to pewter. If the OEM base and that alloy arm form corrosion where they meet, the mirror will be difficult to swivel and you may end up snapping the alloy arm. Again, the alloy arm is the same for both M and non M mirrors - only the mirror glass varies in shape. Mirror glass replacements for both versions of are easily available on eBay too.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

They are not worth 500 pounds. I was trying to sell z3m mirrors for 450 euros (around 360 pounds) and I had bases for both - LHD and RHD, and still there was no interest.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

........ but that doesn't include shipping to UK does it ? :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

deni2s wrote:They are not worth 500 pounds. I was trying to sell z3m mirrors for 450 euros (around 360 pounds) and I had bases for both - LHD and RHD, and still there was no interest.
they are if I decide to sell mine! :wink:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal