Window angle adjustment

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
andy18n

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Window angle adjustment

Post by andy18n »

Hi all
The Z3 is going to be living outside for a few weeks while we have some garage roof work done.
My drivers side window angle isn't quite enough to get a good seal on the roof rubbers. I have moved the bolts at the bottom of the door, but that hasn't made much of a difference. Have taken grommet out by door catch but can't see anything behind it to adjust? Thought there were a couple of adjustment points higher up?
Help appreciated
Thanks
2002 Z3 3.0i Sport Black Sapphire Black & Red Leather
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Window angle adjustment

Post by Southernboy »

Do you have a pic of the problem so that we can give you the correct advice...

Below is all there is to know about adjustment and the door windows in general...

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
andy18n

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by andy18n »

Thanks. It's the last item on there that's the issue. If I tried to close the paper in, you can just about pull it out. It's not a height issue, it's the angle, ie window not pressing on seal enough, and not as much as passenger side.
I have adjusted bottom rail bolts but they don't make any difference, it's like there is a bolt or clamp higher up that's stopping it moving, but those diagrams suggest not. Will keep trying to sort today :-)
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

As far as I'm aware the angle of the window is dictated by the fixed quarter light which guides the whole pane. But you'd only want to adjust that if the gap was bigger at one end of the pane than the other.

What you might find is your window sliders are worn (happens to all Z3s in the end) and or the runners and mechanism just need lubricating to go up the last 2 or 3mm.

In terms of water ingress the door rubber is not supposed to be the main barrier. The soft top would have originally come down over this area to act as an umbrella. But it shrinks in an arc over time and exposes the rubber.

If it's a simple case of making the window go up a further 2 or 3 mm. I think you might need to take the door card off and adjust the regulator stop.

The little cap by the latch you mention, if it's up by the door handle, is to get access to take the door handle off.

It might be better to invest in a rain hat for it which is about £50. I've just ordered one and can let you know how it goes.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by roadvoyager1 »

I thought it may be helpful to share my experience with what sounds to be a similar problem to the one you have. I have adjusted my drivers door several times to try and fix a small water leak on the lower area of the A-pillar seal. The original door had severe corrosion on the top front corner and was replaced not long after I bought the car. The original door had 2 shims (about 1.5mm combined thickness) behind the upper hinge where it fixes to the body. This has the effect of pushing the lower edge of the glass on the A-pillar outwards, lifting it from the seal. I thought removing these would be the easy fix, however, with one or both removed the leak was still present. Increasing the window angle to compress the hood frame and upper A-pillar seals didn't improve the condition (not surprising really).

The best condition I have so far is with both shims fitted at the hinge, the door angle (front to rear rather than side to side) set to align the door with the top of the rear wing (the door striker should hold the door in this position and not be used to lift it) and the side to side angle set to lightly compress the seal around the complete window. Getting this condition takes several attempts with small adjustments each time.This seems to keep heavy rain out but it still allows a dribble through when I direct a hose on the side window.

My latest "adjustment" is to apply Gummi Pflege. Other reports of this product were of excellent results by reviving the rubber seals. I have not had the hose on it yet but visually the seals appear to have closed up on the window and show two clearly defined contact line lines down the full length of the pillar so I am hopeful.

Keep us informed of your progress and when you find the magic answer please share.
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stevov »

I find a regular liberal application of silicon spray to the door seals keeps my doors and windows completely leak free. I'm on the west coast of Scotland and have zero water ingress. The car has 155,000 miles and lives outside. Instead of trying to bend and shape the window, soften the seals so they plump up and press into the window edge.
andy18n

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by andy18n »

Thanks all, much appreciated. I've got the car covered outside so issue not so pressing but will now work on the seals and look at some of the other threads on this subject from over the years. I may just have to live with it to some degree, as its more a case of the hood feeling like it should locate more towards the outside of the car rather than the window angle. I'll try and post a couple of pics when I get a chance.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If you have a look at the diagrams on the "how to" I posted, you will see the short rear channel with the plate at the top which acts as an anti theft cover for the door lock. The rear channel is secured by the bolt at the bottom of the door, and a 2nd bolt hidden behind a small rubber grommet on the edge of the door at the top.
The front window channel is secured by one bolt under the door and 2 more behind the door card at the top. It also forms the complete front triangular widow frame complete with glass.
You will need to secure the front window first, but do not tighten it so that it is completely locked down - just firmly enough so it won't move around if lightly bumped. Make sure the small window front edge is snug up against the wind screen edge seal and follows the same angle as the windscreen all the way down.
Then lower the main window, and with the door card removed, make sure the rear channel is butting against the glass along the edge of the glass and again tighten the screws firmly but not 100% tight. This will ensure that both front and are channels are parallel. Now raise the window fully and close the door. Check the top edge of the window for parallel to the roof rubber seals. If it is not correct, you can "angle both the front and rear channels to compensate. Again do the front channel first then the rear. The amount of adjustment possible is not a great deal, and is done by slightly loosening the screw under the door and slightly loosening the upper mounting screw(s) and moving the channel forwards or aft. Having done the front adjustment, tighten the screws firmly and then do the rear channel. This can be done with the window raised up so it will allow for easier movement. Check the top edge of the window again for alignment. If you have made full use of the adjustment available, and it's still not right, you may want to check the 2 white nylon / plastic slides on the winder mechanism for wear and / or breakage which may be affecting the position of the window glass. If the are in any way damaged, you will need to get new ones and grease and fit them.
Next is to check the gap between the door edge and the front fender. They should create a parallel gap all the way from top to bottom. If this is not the case, you may want to fit some shims to the appropriate hinge to square things up - unless doing so will worsen the window top edge issue.... if it will assist in getting the window top edge aligned, then go for it. A piece of galavanised flat sheet should be adequate. It's less than 1/2mm thick. Obviously you will need to drill holes for the hinge bolts to pass through, and shape it appropriately. Alternately, try PM'ing Andy (Spurs fan in a coupe).... he may have some shims from one of the cars he has broken.
Finally, if you're going to replace the white nylon / plastic slides, best is to completely remove the winder mechanism and give it a thorough clean and on replacement, try to bolt it in to assist the alignment of the window top. There isn't much allowable there, but a small adjustment at the bottom becomes a substantial enough movement 3 feet up at the top of the window.
"Normal is overrated"

andy18n

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by andy18n »

That's magic advice, thank you. I'd not twigged the higher bolts / screws behind the door card. That will make the process a whole lot more effective, as I'd only adjusted the lower bolts on their own, which just introduced stress in the whole frame and channels rather than actually moving it.
It's only a few mm out at most so think that will sort it.
Will let you know but may be a week or two till I can get covers off and at it with building work going on.
Cheers again, appreciated.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Good luck - hope it does the trick. :wave
"Normal is overrated"

Bin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Bin »

Just out of interest, I checked my door tops as a result of this thread. The driver's side is loose! The dealer I bought the car from had to replace the regulator as the window wouldn't go up or down and I guess they didn't tighten something back up properly. In any event, Zeb's going in on Tuesday to have this rectified (hopefully) so thanks for this post!!