Hardtop fitting kit

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ben5010

Z3 roadster 2.8

Hardtop fitting kit

Post by ben5010 »

Hi all,

Just purchased a hard top for my Z3, is there anywhere in particular I can buy the full fixing kits?

Am I right in thinking I need the rear fixing mounts, loom for heated window, heated window switch and screws?

If anyone can point me in the right direction for those bits, that would be great.

BTW it's a facelift z3 with power roof if that makes a difference to what parts I need?

Thanks

Ben
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Hardtop fitting kit

Post by peter2b »

when I got my hard top the cost of the fitting kit was as much as the top, so I went to my local forge got 4 pieces of 6mm x 50x 100 plate +6" of 25mm bar and made my own, as for the demister mine tops been on all winter without any problems if I did get a bit of mist/ice I put the mid vents on full blast
peter2b
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Ebay for the fitting kit usually - you will find OEM versions and maybe some homemade versions. The OEM versions are much better but prepared to pay £300 or more easily - especially if all the trims and looms are included. (although spring is slightly cheaper.)

The kit parts are listed below.

2 brackets (must have part number 4)
2 Torx screws (must have - but could be bought from B&Q - part 2&3)
4 short bolts (must have but can be bought from B&Q - part 6)
Orange handle Torx driver (can use a socket set and TORX head if needed)
Wiring loom (must have for rear demist but can be bought from BMW)
Little plastic connector for wires to connect to rear demist (Ebay or BMW - Part 5)
Rear Demist button (round edged one for facelift cars - Ebay)
Unloader relay (for redemist on facelift cars - Ebay) http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28521
2 x Covering trim (rare as hens teetch but can be bought from BMW - part 25)
2 x Covering trim Tabs (rae as hens teeth but can be bought from BMW - part 35)
Patience to find the 2 ends of the loom on the car depending if you have manual or electric soft top

Give me a couple of hours and I will post a pic

EDIT: See this diagram and the numbers above against each part

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=54_0204

See this link too

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33759
Last edited by bertiejaffa on Mon 11 Apr, 2016 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
ben5010

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ben5010 »

Do you know if the main rear brackets are available from BMW main dealer? I cannot seem to find any online, even on eBay.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

ben5010 wrote:Do you know if the main rear brackets are available from BMW main dealer? I cannot seem to find any online, even on eBay.
have you tried phoning them. they are very helpful with this sort of thing. :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I wouldn't worry too much about the heated rear window. I've never needed it when my top was fitted.
Pingu
ben5010

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ben5010 »

pingu wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about the heated rear window. I've never needed it when my top was fitted.
I could probably make my own loom for the heated window, looks like a simple loom with basic plugs.

Picking up the hardtop tomorrow, going to be interesting with no rear fixing brackets, lots of cable ties are going to be used I think. :lol:
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

ben5010 wrote:
pingu wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about the heated rear window. I've never needed it when my top was fitted.
I could probably make my own loom for the heated window, looks like a simple loom with basic plugs.

Picking up the hardtop tomorrow, going to be interesting with no rear fixing brackets, lots of cable ties are going to be used I think. :lol:
I know people who have done this - with just the windscreen screws attached. Personally i wouldn't but thats just my opinion.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

ben5010 wrote:

I travelled with a hardtop fitted for miles and miles without rear brackets when I collected mine. The front was secured with the standard bolts and we used ratchet straps around the rear brackets and down to the seat rails / seat belt holder (can't remember which) and it was rock solid, we just made sure we took it easy.

Also after I was told by loads of people I could no longer get a genuine fitting kit, I bought one of the homemade ones on eBay. Just being curious I rang BMW a day or so later and they still had them, despite having to be shipped from Germany so I went with the BMW one and cancelled the homemade one. It's certainly worth a quick call to BMW to see if they can get hold of one or you looking at paying a fortune for one from eBay.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

We didn't bother with the full kit, but picked up the genuine brackets off german eBay new for a lot less than some people want for used ones!
ben5010

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ben5010 »

Are there any on the German eBay atm? my German isn't great.
Julie Z3 wrote:We didn't bother with the full kit, but picked up the genuine brackets off german eBay new for a lot less than some people want for used ones!
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

use google chrome as your internet browser - it will translate the entire page for you
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

i got mine from the US ....a nice guy that ships them over for you...there not genuine but a good sturdy bit of kit none the less
the badness makes me do it...!

ben5010

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ben5010 »

I've finally managed to source a fitting kit, finally picked up the hardtop today, front bolts in and ratchet strapped to the seat base, worked perfectly.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxhPyc ... cslist_api
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxhPyc ... cslist_api

Couple of pics of the Z with the new roof.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

do you get a free dog with it? nice top thought
peter2b
ben5010

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by ben5010 »

peter2b wrote:do you get a free dog with it? nice top thought
peter2b
Haha no unfortunately :lol: , would love another sausage dog though, they are awesome.