Z3 Hardtop 'C' spanner.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Z3 Hardtop 'C' spanner.

Post by ARoosterinaRoadster »

Hi to you all. Can anyone oblige me with an image of the 'C' spanner as used for the adjustment when required to a hardtop ?

What I am particularly interested in is a view from above when it is laid flat and also some idea of relevant size/sizes.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: Z3 Hardtop 'C' spanner.

Post by bertiejaffa »

Whats it used for? I have had 3 hardtops and never needed a spanner?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

bertiejaffa wrote:Whats it used for? I have had 3 hardtops and never needed a spanner?
Hi bertiejaffa. I am interested to compare it with others out there that will perform the same job.
I wish to be able to do the adjustment what I believe is necessary to avoid further marking of the paintwork around the rear curved panel that the rubber comes into contact with and at the same time to attempt to eliminate what I believe is a light knocking in the vicinity of the locking clamps.
Happiness is a well kept Z3 and preferably running with the hood down - weather permitting.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I used a small mole grip
peter2b
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

peter2b wrote:I used a small mole grip
peter2b
Hi Peter. I wish to do any adjustment (once I have establish what it looks like) that is required with the hardtop in place and before locking the clamping locks into position.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

It is used to tighten/undo the toothed nut on the rear mounts on the hardtop. You can adjust these in all three axes to get a good fit. Height is reasonably obvious, but adjusting the width actually flexes the roof slightly and can enable you to get a good seal on both side windows. Fore/aft is also possible, but once the front grub screws are in position, it won't move much.

Quick attempt at a photo. I will try attempt some measurements when I have more time.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

i must admit i have to get someone to turn the clamps on mine while i physically hang on it to pull it down enough. gives an idea of how tight i have mine and it never fouls the paintwork
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Robert T wrote:It is used to tighten/undo the toothed nut on the rear mounts on the hardtop. You can adjust these in all three axes to get a good fit. Height is reasonably obvious, but adjusting the width actually flexes the roof slightly and can enable you to get a good seal on both side windows. Fore/aft is also possible, but once the front grub screws are in position, it won't move much.

Quick attempt at a photo. I will try attempt some measurements when I have more time.

Cheers R.

Hi Robert. Thank you very much indeed for the image - thereby hangs a tale of No Toothed Nut !!!
The clamping lever on both sides of my hardtop simply has a hexagonal nut that comes into contact with the underside of the plate that the spigot passes through [img] [URL=http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/ARoos ... 7.jpg.html]

I have put an image into Photobucket and uploaded it by following the Post Image guide but the link has not developed - again.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

When you look at the picture in photobucket there are 4 links under the heading SHARE THIS PHOTO. Click in the box that says IMG - photobucket will automatically copy it (and tells you so) - now just paste into the thread.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Hi bertiejaffa. Thank you for the correction. What you have described is what I did. Yes I did get conformation that it was copied - the tab changed colour to yellow.
I have and still am having very intermittent internet connections - BT Superfast Broadband that isn't and apparently they are 'On to it' - system overload on the newly designated cabinet.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

When you paste it you should have 2 lines of "crap" as below. I have removed the [ from the start of each line so you can see what it should look like.

URL=http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/ARoos ... 7.jpg.html]
IMG]http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag2 ... y2dnv7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Talking of "crap"... most things BT do... :head:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

You are looking in the wrong place for the toothed nut. It is on the top side of the clamp on the hardtop UNDER the plastic cover. This enables you to adjust the hardtop whilst it is on the car. If memory serves there is a screw holding the plastic cover on.

Cheers R.

ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Robert T wrote:You are looking in the wrong place for the toothed nut. It is on the top side of the clamp on the hardtop UNDER the plastic cover. This enables you to adjust the hardtop whilst it is on the car. If memory serves there is a screw holding the plastic cover on.

Cheers R.

Hi Robert. Thank you - I will look again in the morning.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

bertiejaffa wrote:When you paste it you should have 2 lines of "crap" as below. I have removed the [ from the start of each line so you can see what it should look like.

URL=http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/ARoos ... 7.jpg.html]
IMG]http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag2 ... y2dnv7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Talking of "crap"... most things BT do... :head:
Hi bertiejaffa. Thank you. I will try in a day or so with an image of the Z3 as it stands today.
My BT Superfast Broadband will allegedly be fully functional by the 14th of April !!
Lancsbob

blank

Post by Lancsbob »

When i post images i always make sure their is at least 1 line space
between each one & any writing. IE

Writing.

Bob
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Lancsbob wrote:When i post images i always make sure their is at least 1 line space
between each one & any writing. IE

Writing.

Bob
Thanks for the tip Bob. My immediate issue is getting the images to display as per the Post an Image guide.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Robert T wrote:You are looking in the wrong place for the toothed nut. It is on the top side of the clamp on the hardtop UNDER the plastic cover. This enables you to adjust the hardtop whilst it is on the car. If memory serves there is a screw holding the plastic cover on.

Cheers R.

Hi again Robert. You were so correct in that yes - I most certainly was looking in totally the wrong place.
If the securing screw - actually two screws in each cover - are in place prior to positioning the hardtop on the car then the toothed nut is not accessible and if the screws and cover are removed then that cover cannot be securely positioned after adjustment.
This makes the whole of the procedure of fitting and adjustment of the hardtop a farce and needs two people to be available during the exercise.
The alternative is to leave the cover trim piece off of the car and show the workings as untidy/unattractive as they are or devise some way of a fix that will not come adrift.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:My BT Superfast Broadband will allegedly be fully functional by the 14th of April !!
That's debatable. I've been with the same ISP, Zen Internet, for 10 years and for good reason - in that time I've had cause to call tech support twice, and one of those was because BT's card in the exchange had locked-up. Both times I was put through to a techie and they were both very good. Good luck with BT...

Regarding posting images, with the photobucket links, there are actually two parts that you are posting. The main part is the image, which is simple web address to a .jpg surrounded by IMG's in square brackets. Photobucket then adds a hyperlink back to your photo on their site using the URL part, which surrounds the image. The URL= part goes before the opening IMG and the closing /URL goes after the closing /IMG. Like this:

Code: Select all

[URL=http://...html][IMG]http://...jpg[/IMG][/URL]
                    |<------- image ------>|
|<------------------- hyperlink ---------------->|
Cheers R.
ARoosterinaRoadster

Z3 roadster 2.0

Robert T wrote:
ARoosterinaRoadster wrote:My BT Superfast Broadband will allegedly be fully functional by the 14th of April !!
That's debatable. I've been with the same ISP, Zen Internet, for 10 years and for good reason - in that time I've had cause to call tech support twice, and one of those was because BT's card in the exchange had locked-up. Both times I was put through to a techie and they were both very good. Good luck with BT...

Regarding posting images, with the photobucket links, there are actually two parts that you are posting. The main part is the image, which is simple web address to a .jpg surrounded by IMG's in square brackets. Photobucket then adds a hyperlink back to your photo on their site using the URL part, which surrounds the image. The URL= part goes before the opening IMG and the closing /URL goes after the closing /IMG. Like this:

Code: Select all

[URL=http://...html][IMG]http://...jpg[/IMG][/URL]
                    |<------- image ------>|
|<------------------- hyperlink ---------------->|
Cheers R.
Hi Robert. It would appear that the problem with my Broadband connection and probably others in the area is Card Overload both at the local cabinet and back at the exchange.
In my previous home and some 8 yrs ago I had Broadband 'over' BT supplied by o2 and it was excellent - until o2 started to fix something that wasn't busted.
Eventually Open Reach appeared by appointment at my home and spent several hours back and forth between the local exchange ( 2 miles away and my nearest cabinet 700yds away). The parting statement by the BT/Open Reach technician was I would like to be a fly on the wall when the invoice for the work lands on some-ones desk.
With knowledge of charge-rates he suggested that it would be between £1400.00 and £1700.00 all-in.