Number plate printing to replicate supplying dealer's

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Number plate printing to replicate supplying dealer's

Post by mrscalex »

I'd like to get a new pair of number plates made up which replicate the same design the car would have been supplied with from new by Dick Lovett of Swindon. The customisation is the bottom line only with the dealer phone number and logo.

So nothing fancy. I know there are a million and one people on the internet who do number plates. But after checking dozens I can't find anyone who will let you upload a graphic rather than plain text for the bottom line.

Has anyone done this and can give me the name of an online supplier? Thanks and yes I know how fussy this is but it will make me happy as I like things to look like they were when the car was new - no mods for me :)

ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Number plate printing to replicate supplying dealer's

Post by Alan W »

There are many companies on eBay that supply 'show plates' which can be anything you want because they are not meant for road use.. all you need to do is find one that will do some graphic work for you.
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Is Dick Lovett still in business? Might be worth a try.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Robert T wrote:Is Dick Lovett still in business? Might be worth a try.

Cheers R.
They are but they've changed the design now and tend to be very expensive. I guess it's not impossible they keep their old designs on file.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

The design could easily be traced in a computer graphics package and used to cut a vinyl graphic. Given a bit if time I could do this but your first point of call would probably best be a sign maker that's still doing plates. Many dropped out when restrictions were introduced.
Where do you live?
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

https://www.myshowplates.com/contact.asp

I used this company. It is not a standard thing that anybody does, so you have to contact them and they will explain what you have to provide in terms of format, size and resolution.

The cost was £14.84 per plate + £3.99 delivery. I had two plates and some sticky tape. The total was £35.66.

This is what I sent them. My order number was WMS213356 on 14/12/2013. It may help you if you refer to it to explain exactly what you want.

I "built" the number on their website, but used the dummy slogan "Sytner Image Here"...

and then e-mailed them a link to the image...

I made the image by scanning various images from around the internet and using PhotoShop type software to build the image as I wanted it. A simple photo of your number plate will not be good enough as it will be "dirty" and the background will not be white. You really need to start from scratch. Your image looks pretty simple and as long as the Dick Lovett symbol is on t'web, it shouldn't be too difficult (if you have the software).

You can use Microsoft Paint as a last resort, but it doesn't uses layers and freezes each amendment, so you can only make chronological changes by undo-ing, which means if you made an error ten steps ago, you will have to redo the nine steps after you correct the error. I hope you understand what I mean :) .

Here's a fairly good logo that you can use as a basis for your image...

Pingu
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Thanks warrior/pingu. I think those are both good options.

Being the pedant I am the full design option seems like an interesting one to make sure the whole plate is replicated (font/spacing of actual index). I have a friend who could design it for me and there's a Fastsigns in Swansea who I suspect would print them.

But if cost is prohibitive and/or the result is going to be the same then it will be the myshowplates option. It's always good to know someone has done something similar before so thanks for sharing the info pingu.

That logo makes me laugh. It looks like a woman sunbathing with a wind problem...
ImageImage
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

That logo makes me laugh. It looks like a woman sunbathing with a wind problem...

Have you been on the G & T? :nono
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

mrscalex wrote:Thanks warrior/pingu. I think those are both good options.

Being the pedant I am the full design option seems like an interesting one to make sure the whole plate is replicated (font/spacing of actual index). I have a friend who could design it for me and there's a Fastsigns in Swansea who I suspect would print them.

But if cost is prohibitive and/or the result is going to be the same then it will be the myshowplates option. It's always good to know someone has done something similar before so thanks for sharing the info pingu.

Fastsigns will be top end on the pricing!

Where do you live Scalex?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Warrior wrote:Fastsigns will be top end on the pricing!

Where do you live Scalex?
You'd think so but they were actually very reasonable when I had a vinyl sign done a couple of years back.

I live between Swindon and Swansea, not Bristol or Cardiff :) half the week in each. Exotic life style eh?
ImageImage