Water leak new top

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Water leak new top

Post by Koolflyer »

About a month ago I discovered a lot of water under the drivers seat. I checked the elderly soft top but the mild sealant repair work looked ok plus it had a new window two years ago. Strangely enough the drivers windscreen washer wasn't working, so I replaced the washer valve under the bonnet anyway. I then thought the heater matrix may have leaked, so got it out and pressure testing it found no leaks. However, two weeks ago I took cover in the car during a horrendously heavy downpour, only to find out that in fact the top was leaking at the bottom of the drivers side rear window......BIG TIME! It was pouring down behind the drivers right hand shoulder behind the seat and carpet under the seat. The foam carpet underlay is in places about 2" thick and was totally saturated. Anyway whilst drying out with newspaper and heater I quickly brought forward my soft top replacement. After talking to gookah and Del, who I know are pretty particular "all things Zed" they recommended Soft Tops of Croydon. I drove down from Loughborough and left it with Dee (a really pleasant helpful guy) whilst I visited my daughter. Four hours later I returned and boy what a transformation! After handing over 395 notes (others had quoted 600+) I had a pleasant trip back up north. After yesterdays very heavy rain showers I am pleased to report back that he did the job well, and as dry as a bone throughout! I too can thoroughly recommend this guy, his number is 020 8665 7577 (Dee). It's also worth noting that the original rear window had one row of stitching and was then glued under the black plastic lip. In time the glue becomes unstuck, pops out and frays. You can see that the new rear window has two rows of stitching to stop this from happening. That's the great thing about this particular site, it's bursting with help when you need it most:thumb:

Here are some photos before and after, and as you can see it looks very smart, in readiness for Bank Holiday Monday BMWCC parade lap around Donington Parks circuit at the Historic Classic's. :drive

1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: Water leak new top

Post by bertiejaffa »

That really is a quality looking job
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

What a difference :D
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Looks great.

I usually associate 2 rows of stitching with the window being sewn in rather than zipped in. Do you know if the window was sewn in or zipped in?
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I've got one - they are sewn in. I think you would struggle to find any aftermarket firm who could supply a zip-in rear window - apart from a special order BMW OE version which would cost well into 4 figures.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

zipped window replacements are available online for around 50-100 and then can be tackled at home if you are keen enough but this will not solve any other issues like worn hood or repair the stitching around the zip. Some companies will do a window replacement for around 200-300 from what I have seen and I assume this will include new stitching around the window, but if you are going to be paying that sort of money you might as well spend another 100 and have a brand new water tight roof like this one.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

mrscalex wrote:Looks great.

I usually associate 2 rows of stitching with the window being sewn in rather than zipped in. Do you know if the window was sewn in or zipped in?
Hi, definitely sewn in, the old OEM was zipped.

KF
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Del wrote:I've got one - they are sewn in. I think you would struggle to find any aftermarket firm who could supply a zip-in rear window - apart from a special order BMW OE version which would cost well into 4 figures.
That's why I was asking. I know the guy in Swansea does new roofs with sewn in screens. If I remember rightly he charges around £280 or did last year but no idea of the quality.

The guy I used in Coventry recently for a replacement screen does a new roof with I believe a zipped in window for £750. Certainly when replacing the rear window he machines new vinyl into the existing zip and said he doesn't machine screens into the roof. He was competitive with the replacement screen (£130) so I would imagine his higher price for a whole roof reflects the fact he builds it to OEM spec.

I do like keeping it like it was built but must admit when I need a new roof I think I'd struggle with paying even £750 for a zip in screen roof compared to such a nice looking sewn in screen roof for pretty much half that.

But just to make all aware of the option if interested. Do confirm with Tony it's a zipped in screen first if you go down that road though.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

mrscalex wrote:The guy I used in Coventry recently for a replacement screen does a new roof with I believe a zipped in window for £750. Certainly when replacing the rear window he machines new vinyl into the existing zip and said he doesn't machine screens into the roof. He was competitive with the replacement screen (£130) so I would imagine his higher price for a whole roof reflects the fact he builds it to OEM spec.
When I was ringing round, the guy in Soft Tops Convertible in Coventry quoted me £765 for the top, and if I wanted the internal lining £390. Rocky Dave's face lift does have the lining which would have been a nice addition but at £1100+ in wife would have skinned me! :lol:
stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stupot50 »

Im looking to have my top replaced soon and have been quoted silly money here in Devon. I notice on the photo's from the orginal poster that the old hood had relief pockets behind the side windows but the new one does not. Does this make a difference? What do they do?
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I'm not sure that the "pockets" are particularly critical - I believe it has something to do with allowing a bit of "give" in the hood. I had a new soft top from Croydon last year (no pockets) and I am very happy with it. Some of the prices I was quoted were more than the value of my 1.9 :D