Nearside and offside sills 2000 3.0 Z3

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Jackster

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Nearside and offside sills 2000 3.0 Z3

Post by Jackster »

As per title can anyone give me the heads up on the best place to source the sills please

Regards

Jackster
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Nearside and offside sills 2000 3.0 Z3

Post by Alan W »

If you are gonna keep the car it's probably worth getting brand new ones from bmw.. if you buy secondhand be aware that there are different sills for different cars..
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

If you call bmw for a quote l'd be interested to know how much they are?
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

They're around £200 per side from BMW and I think that is the only source of them. That's for the "wide" sills.

As they're prone to rust at the front, probably hard to find clean ones 2nd hand.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I've seen OEM ones shipped from Germany for a 1999 pre-facelift car for £137 a side which is pretty good going.

If you find a good cheap bodyshop you might get them sprayed for £75 a side.

It's probably the worst panel on the car to find a decent secondhand one. But if you do, at over £200 a side for new (and that's at the cheap end) it's worth paying decent money for one.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

You can try breakers but you need to get them off the right shape car and 2nd hand sills can be as rusty as the ones you are replacing. I recently paid £180 each from BMW for my narrow body, pre-facelift 1.9. They told me this included a slight discount as they had surplus stop somewhere in the BMW UK network due to a cancelled order. :)

However, as Mrscalex has pointed out you can get them cheaper. :D
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

You might find this site useful these are for the wide body.
http://www.genuineautoparts.com/uk/bmw/ ... tion=right
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Althulas wrote:You might find this site useful these are for the wide body.
http://www.genuineautoparts.com/uk/bmw/ ... tion=right
And that's where Mr Scalex saw them cheaper :)
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Jackster

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Jackster »

Athulas and Mrscalex I have ordered the sills from Genuine Autoparts, they are coming from Germany @ £119 each plus postage :)
Will let you know how I get on. Did not bother getting a quote from BMW.
Thanks for your help guys
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Sorry to jump in the thread , just started doing some work on my wife old 2.8 for the mot and thought it would be a good idea to sort the rust bubbling on the front and rear of the sills and the small wing which holds the side indicator. Just know it's going to be a can of worms......................as per this thread i,m happy to bite the bullet and purchase a left and right sill but the two wings are priced around £175 each (gulp)! all the secondhand ones on eBay look shite so has anyone used any of the pattern ones at around £50 or is it just a case of saving my pennies? Any helpful advice appreciated.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Julie Z3 wrote:Sorry to jump in the thread , just started doing some work on my wife old 2.8 for the mot and thought it would be a good idea to sort the rust bubbling on the front and rear of the sills and the small wing which holds the side indicator. Just know it's going to be a can of worms......................as per this thread i,m happy to bite the bullet and purchase a left and right sill but the two wings are priced around £175 each (gulp)! all the secondhand ones on eBay look shite so has anyone used any of the pattern ones at around £50 or is it just a case of saving my pennies? Any helpful advice appreciated.
You'd have to say 95% of sill covers have rust hence why a new OEM part is a good investment. But the same isn't true of the wings (front or rear) even though they are usually next to rust. Front wings can be picked up for £25-£50 second-hand and if you are patient you'll find a decent one and maybe even in the right colour. I needed one and was very lucky to get a totally rust free one for £35 with postage. It was the wrong colour but I felt that was a worthwhile sacrifice for a nice one.

So in short, no, personally I wouldn't buy a £175 new OEM one and I'd be really reluctant to get a pattern part although it's probably the lowest risk panel on the car in that respect if you were going to.
ImageImage
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Actually this looks like a pair of very useable widebody sills. They are mis-described as skirts so might go for a bargain price. If they were narrowbody I'd be bidding myself.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-Z3-widebo ... 2011105808
ImageImage
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

mrscalex wrote:Actually this looks like a pair of very useable widebody sills. They are mis-described as skirts so might go for a bargain price. If they were narrowbody I'd be bidding myself.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-Z3-widebo ... 2011105808

Nice spot best secondhand ones I've seen for a while. I've put on my watch list to see if they stop at a low price.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

As above , good spot mrscalex, didn't come up in my search, only problem is the distance from Bristol! Strangely the sills after getting all the underseal cleaned off aren't as bad as I'd expected, unfortunately the very ends like the last bit of the lip are the only bits missing, a reasonable fabricator could probably fettle them back to useable shape.
As for the wings I think I'll need to be patient as I'd much prefer genuine panels, its Turkish green so not much chance of getting originals lol.
joneseric

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by joneseric »

Hi - Just wanted to add, I purchased OEM LH and RH sills from Germany last week for £119.00 plus carriage, my old sills had damage to the front edges as expected. I have had them sprayed with stone chip guard and will also fit the modified Halfords mudflaps so that the front of the sill is protected. With sills on eBay costing as much as £75.00, OEM, for me made sense.

Eric
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Having taken the outer sills off the inner sills do have some small holes where the outer sills sit and the consequence of 16 years of road muck collecting between the two. saying that the inner sills are obviously made of pretty meaty steel been a convertible, has anyone had any experience of welding these? Best to just patch the small holes or is it best practice to remove all the rusted metal and make repair panels that butt weld to the originals? Any advice from the bodyshop guys appreciated...........
Mor61e

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mor61e »

Julie Z3 wrote:Having taken the outer sills off the inner sills do have some small holes where the outer sills sit and the consequence of 16 years of road muck collecting between the two. saying that the inner sills are obviously made of pretty meaty steel been a convertible, has anyone had any experience of welding these? Best to just patch the small holes or is it best practice to remove all the rusted metal and make repair panels that butt weld to the originals? Any advice from the bodyshop guys appreciated...........

Remove all the rusted metal either way

Do you have any pictures?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Assuming the holes are no bigger than smartie size I think I'd be tempted to just cut out the rot, weld across the holes and grind back flush.

If the holes are any bigger than that I think I'd be scratching my head a bit as to why.
ImageImage
joneseric

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by joneseric »

I agree, the structure underneath the cover sills is massive and zinc plated. I have just replaced the sills on my 1997 car and the rust underneath was surface and cosmetic. Please can I ask do have any pictures.

Rgds

Eric
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

The holes aren't that large , I'd say compared to some newer vehicles I've owned it's held up pretty well for a 16 year old! Will try and get some pictures at the weekend but it's raining in sunny Bristol at the moment.
I know the repairs won't for the main part be seen as they are covered by the outer sill but I've seen" MOT welder "patch panels and I'd rather have something a little better than a plate on top of the hole or am I wasting my time?