Odometer EEP_1 fixed but with issues

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Odometer EEP_1 fixed but with issues

Post by motco »

After a flat battery episode and recharge, my odometer read EEP_1 instead of mileage, the rev counter, fuel gauge, and temperature gauge all stopped working. Only the speedo worked and not even very accurately. If it was a very warm day or after a run it would revert to normal on restart, but lately it has stopped even doing that.

A lot of Googling and searching yielded very little information so I bought a second hand cluster from a breaker in Scotland through Ebay. The vendor had no idea of the mileage reading (mine was 44,900) but I was so cheesed off with the problem that I decided that inaccurate miles was a small price to pay. I have MoT certificates and the invoice for the cluster anyway.

The upshot is that my original cluster or the replacement cluster will work properly only with the replacement cluster's coding plug, and neither works with my original coding plug. Both clusters show the replacement cluster's mileage (circa 80k higher). I could read the odometer on the faulty cluster because it would appear very briefly before EEP_1 appeared but now even that shows the higher mileage. :( The display also shows the tamper dot in either case.

I now have a working cluster with apparently accurate (+/- 3mph) speedo, but with eighty thousand too many miles showing and a tamper dot. I dare not go through the synch procedure to reconcile the mileage because that will reportedly log the higher figure in the cars hidden record - if it's not already there too!

I am happy, though, because I have no intention of selling and a serious buyer should believe the MoT record and note the receipt for the s/h cluster.

I shall have a word with Phil at CPC to see whether it's possible to rectify the incorrect mileage using his computer, but I'm none too optimistic. :cry:
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Odometer EEP_1 fixed but with issues

Post by Boosh »

I'm very interested in how this turns out as I'm in the process of having a replacement engine fitted. It has done a guaranteed 89144km (about 60k miles), but the odometer currently indicates the soon-to-be old engine's mileage of about 126k miles. I highly suspect I'll get the dreaded dot on the dashboard when the engine's are swapped over. Though it's not a big issue as I'll get a certificate of mileage with the engine, I wouldn't mind adjusting the odometer to the new engine's converted mileage and lose the dot, but I might be dreaming...

Boosh.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

From what I have read, the mileage can only be adjusted upwards, so if you fit a zero-mile cluster, it will get the mileage stored in the engine's ECU. If you fit a new zero-mile engine and ECU, then the engine ECU will get the mileage from the cluster. BMW would not intend you to fit a cluster with a higher mileage (they would expect you to fit new), so sadly the mileage will be taken from the replacement, higher-mileage, cluster.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
kkkrisss

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by kkkrisss »

Generally speaking is the replacement cluster going to show the original mileage without tempered dot if you just transfer the code plug of the original cluster?
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

No kkkris, because it is the code plug that is faulty. Both clusters work properly with the plug from the second hand cluster, but neither works with my original plug. I assume that the mileage is stored in the plug(s) because as soon as the 'new' plug was in the car in one of the clusters the imported mileage showed in the odometer. I was able to read my 'real' mileage with the faulty plug because it flashed on the display for half a second when switched on, but changed to EEP_1 permanently thereafter. Unfortunately even the original plug now shows the higher mileage when it flashes up a figure so the overwriting of lower figure by the higher one has happened automatically. As there is a tamper dot showing and there are as many as five memories in the car in total, I hope that at least one still has the correct figure stored in it.
:squeeze:
MpowerRob

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by MpowerRob »

Hi guys I've had this EEP_1 problem occur on my 1999. 2.8 Z3 after reading loads of different posts I've fixed my problem so it may help others.

I had no temp,fuel or rev counter as well as the EEP_1 instead of the mileage, I bought a second hand cluster from another 1999 2.8 Z3 that had lower mileage to my Z3 so as to keep my original mileage. I swapped the clusters however my car now showed the lower mileage and the Rev counter and OBC were all out of sync, OBC was saying mpg was 75 mpg!

I took the replacement cluster back out and decided to change the coding plugs so I put the coding plug from the replacement cluster in my old cluster, bingo all fixed correct mileage dials all working OBC in sync the only problem i do have is the little red dot is now illuminated, however I have all old mots and paper work to back up my mileage.

So it seems the problem is the coding plugs seem to be a weak spot.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

MpowerRob wrote:Hi guys I've had this EEP_1 problem occur on my 1999. 2.8 Z3 after reading loads of different posts I've fixed my problem so it may help others.

I had no temp,fuel or rev counter as well as the EEP_1 instead of the mileage, I bought a second hand cluster from another 1999 2.8 Z3 that had lower mileage to my Z3 so as to keep my original mileage. I swapped the clusters however my car now showed the lower mileage and the Rev counter and OBC were all out of sync, OBC was saying mpg was 75 mpg!

I took the replacement cluster back out and decided to change the coding plugs so I put the coding plug from the replacement cluster in my old cluster, bingo all fixed correct mileage dials all working OBC in sync the only problem i do have is the little red dot is now illuminated, however I have all old mots and paper work to back up my mileage.

So it seems the problem is the coding plugs seem to be a weak spot.
It was the coding plug on mine too. I have a chappie coming round next week to 'correct' my 80k overmileage. It might have been cheaper to buy a blank new coding plug. What started yours off Rob? Mine was a flat battery.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I've had my odometer corrected and the lad who did it said he had never been asked to go up the way :shock: . He did it using some very sophisticated electronics that he plugged into the cluster (which was out of the car). He then shorted some connections inside the cluster and was able to change the numbers in the cluster. He was only able to change the number to an approximate mileage as it has something to do with the time that you short the terminals for and he didn't have a clock that measures in milli-seconds.

So - it can be done. Cash in hand, no questions, no names, etc. :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36394&p=343693
Pingu
MpowerRob

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by MpowerRob »

Yes mine started When battery died and car had to be jump started, eep_1 occasionally then constant. I wonder if the car being left outside in wet weather has anything to do with it too,condensation build up etc :?: now keep under cover as 911 turbo occupies the garage.

I still can't understand why the red dot has come on as the replacement coding plug was from a cluster with less mileage than mine and my cluster still shows the correct mileage and not that of the lower.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

I gather that there's between three and five memories in the car and key. You can simply reset the cluster but anyone with diagnostic tools can see that it's been done. To do all the memories takes time and is undetectable, I am reliably assured. I have a chap coming round tomorrow - reports to follow.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

AFAIAA there are only two memories. One in the cluster and one in the ECU.

EEP is short for EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory) and I am beginning to suspect that this resides in the coding plug.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

It would seem so. He read the old failed coding plug and retrieved c.42,600 miles, and then made a mirror of that which he then transferred to the second hand coding plug with 125,000+ on it. When replaced into the car the mileage showed 45,090 which must have been in the internal memory. The tamper dot was still showing probably due to this discrepancy. I had used the car between removing the old chip and today which might be the reason. He then reprogrammed the external chip (codsing plug) to the higher mileage to try to extinguish the tamper dot. However while the odometer now shows the 45,090 the tamper dot is also still showing. The hope is that after 100km the system will refresh, check the two figures, and (hopefully) kill the tamper dot as the two chips are lagely the same figure. We'll see.

I am not too bothered because I have logged all the events in the service book and have the old coding plug and second hand cluster (I fitted my OEM cluster with th second hand coding plug). Any prospective buyer should be happy that the mileage is correct despite the tamper dot being on - if it still is. I also have all the MoT records from the first test in 2005 to back up my assertion. The only other possible reason for the dot is a VIN discrepancy and the mirror of the OEM coding plug should have replaced the 'alien' VIN with mine. I am reluctant to go into diagnostics to check the recorded VIN in case I end up with the 125,000 miles figure back showing if it syncs with the internal chip again.

Charge? £90 in folding stuff. Fair enough for the time he took and cost of his kit.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

If the red dot is the problem, just break the link on the circuit board. It's been a long time since I was last inside a cluster, but I'd look at that as a possibility.

Front of cluster

Rear of cluster
Pingu
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

pingu wrote:If the red dot is the problem, just break the link on the circuit board. It's been a long time since I was last inside a cluster, but I'd look at that as a possibility.
Are you sure there's there not a tamper dot for the tamper dot :shock:
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

pingu wrote:If the red dot is the problem, just break the link on the circuit board. It's been a long time since I was last inside a cluster, but I'd look at that as a possibility.

Front of cluster

Rear of cluster
I'm not sure how practical an idea that is pingu, but thanks for the suggestion. The dot is a pixel (or pixels) in a liquid crystal back-lit display providing the odometer, trip odometer, and service lights as far as I can tell, and it would need the desctruction of that pixel in isolation from all the rest. I hope that the regular polling of the memories will now find there is little discrepancy between them and extinguish the dot. Failing that I have all the documentary evidence to support my statement that the mileage is correct.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I strongly suspect that the red dot is lit by just one of the tracks that go at 45 degs towards the connector right of centre in the lower image.

If it were me and I was worried about it, I'd probe each track and break the appropriate one - but that's me :shock: .

Anyway, you haven't got a problem until you come to sell, and nobody sells their Z :D .
Pingu
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

pingu wrote:Anyway, you haven't got a problem until you come to sell, and nobody sells their Z :D .
Top answer :) But everyone likes their Z to be perfect too :(
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

My dot is the same orange colour as the rest of the display. However I have a spare cluster from which I took the coding plug to rectify my problem. I'll have a close look at that when time allows.