Clutch slipping?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Clutch slipping?

Post by mrscalex »

I'm not sure whether my clutch is starting to slip. It's a 1.9 with 97k miles and it's never been replaced before.

It's fine the vast majority of the time but occasionally the revs rise quickly after a gear change with a lack of bite. It gets driven around in a very modest manner normally but if you do give it a bit more of a push that's when it can happen (but not all of the time). Then it goes back to normal.

I'm really hoping this isn't the clutch on it's way out. I've read about the clutch delay valve removal but can't convince myself that's what's going on? Why would it only start now, why is it so occasional and could I really be that fortunate that's all it is!

Any thoughts?
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: Clutch slipping?

Post by bertiejaffa »

HI, it does sound like it could be the clutch slipping. It was like that on our Kia a couple of years ago, slipping occasionally, not every time and resulting in the revs rising after gear changes. It kept working for about 12 months but slowly got more and more often.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Try to avoid slipping it as much as you can and provided it's not oil contamination it could keep on going for a good while yet.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

If it manages 1000 miles a year I'd be surprised. So hopefully it will last another couple of years like that then with all the restoration spend completed it won't be so painful.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Those were the symptoms on my previous 2.8. It finally gave in without any other warning. When it did give in it made an ugly grinding noise and simply refused to engage any more. You just don't want to do any damage to the fly wheel if the clutch plate loses the surface gripping compound and ends up metal on metal.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

My 1.9 did not have a Clutch Delay Valve are you sure you have one?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Brian H wrote:My 1.9 did not have a Clutch Delay Valve are you sure you have one?
No I'm not sure. Just clutching at straws!
ImageImage