A happy owner.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Flight

blank

A happy owner.

Post by Flight »

I found my 34,000 mileage 3.0i at Cheltenham, in 2014, and I hired a car transporter and excitedly raced to retrieve it. The following day after a short run I was disappointed by the poor handling, and rough difficult gear change. The car was beautiful with hardly a blemish and a very comprehensive spec, so I set about improving it. Firstly, I cleaned it thoroughly underneath and waxoyled everything I could find. Next was a change of gearbox shift pins using the newer type of pin with reprofiled noses and Teflon bushes, I also changed the clutch although this was actually unnecessary as the old one was OK. I now have a gearbox equal to the MX5 with a smooth positive change.Next I threw away the tiny under tray and fitted a much larger one from a 2.2 which now protects as far back as the X brace protecting the power steering and aircon etc. I was also concerned by the bump steer or tramlining, so I duly manufactured a full body brace kit which has certainly helped but has not fully eliminated the problem. Further suspension mods are in the pipeline for winter. My next job is to recondition and reproof the hood as it is showing slight discolouration where the roof support bars touch it. After good advice from this forum, I have ordered a Renovo system so we shall see how it goes. All in all I am now happy with the car now, and intend to do what it was designed to do drive it.
Cheers Flight
Axelf

blank

Re: A happy owner.

Post by Axelf »

Do you have the part numbers for the gear lever pins and bushes ? Thanks
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

When do you benefit from all the handling upgrades when every 200 feet you have those yellow boxes with black stripes on the side of the road? :?
Flight

blank

Post by Flight »

Hi axelf. I will dig them out and post in the morning.
Cheers Flight
Axelf

blank

Post by Axelf »

That's great thanks.... The gear change on my car is a nightmare.... Are they easy to change out? Is it a box out job?
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stevov »

BonBon wrote:When do you benefit from all the handling upgrades when every 200 feet you have those yellow boxes with black stripes on the side of the road? :?
You're on the wrong roads. Try the ones starting with B
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

tramlining is generally just a requirement to change the tyres.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Flight

blank

Post by Flight »

Hi axelf. Whilst looking for the part numbers you asked for, I discovered this Write up called "How to service your transmission shift pins." On google. This is a comprehensive guide, much better than I could provide and it is easy to follow. Apart from rudimentary tools, all that is needed are the bush insertion punches. These are essential to ensure the bushes are inserted to the correct depth. I am quite prepared to loan you mine if you decide to change your pins. It is a relatively simple operation, but it requires the gearbox removal. This is no big deal, just a bit of a slog. You will need help to remove it. Is my memory serves me correctly the new pins were bought from BMW and cost around £48.00. The reason for your poor gear change is that the shift pins and bushes are at the top of the gearbox, and get starved of oil. The modified pins have Teflon bushes for better lubrication, and reprofiled noses.It took me with help around 2 hours to remove the box, an hour or so to replace the pins and bushes, then a couple of hours to put it all back, including a clutch change. I was lucky in having a four post lift, it might take a little longer if you are lying under the car. It is a worth while job, and if I can help or advise please shout.
Best wishes
Flight
Axelf

blank

Post by Axelf »

That's great... Where are you based ? If not too far are you willing to help me do it? I come to you ....
Axelf

blank

Post by Axelf »

Hi just noticed you are at Cumbria... Not far away ;) as you have done it if you have spare time I can drive over no problem, no pressure though ;)