Headlight Query

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Moomah

Z3 roadster 2.8

Headlight Query

Post by Moomah »

Hi All, haven't been on for a while the car has been laid up and moved from the UK to France. Our little z3 2.8i roadster has just been dusted off and now comes the time when I want to register it here.

BUT I have a query about the headlights. Can you tell me please if there is a way of "switching them", rather than having to buy lights for driving on the continent

My next challenge then is getting a Controle Technique for her :)
Four wheeled car, three wheeled trike, two wheeled bike....shame not all at once
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Headlight Query

Post by Southernboy »

The LHD headlight reflectors are different to RHD. The beam from the RHD lights tend to light up the left hand road verge more and the opposite for LHD headlights. This difference cannot be corrected for since the effect is in the reflectors.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Moomah

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Moomah »

:cry: Ah well, now to go hunting for new headlights.. hey ho.. Thank you for your quick response :)
Four wheeled car, three wheeled trike, two wheeled bike....shame not all at once
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Pleasure buddy.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I'm going to le man's 24hr next week ,re lights last time I went I just got some head light adjustable stickers from my local car shop or AA ,RAC they block the head lights from blinding others when abroad, lot cheeper than new lights, don't know how long you can use them for
peter2b
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

peter2b wrote:I'm going to le man's 24hr next week ,re lights last time I went I just got some head light adjustable stickers from my local car shop or AA ,RAC they block the head lights from blinding others when abroad, lot cheeper than new lights, don't know how long you can use them for
peter2b

I would suspect they aren't likely to get through the French MOT like that though? Again just my suspicion ?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Hi all,
I have been in that exact situation. My car went through the CT (French mot) with UK (original) headlights and 'continental anti-dazzle' stickers on. In fact, the test was no harder than it had been in the UK 6 months prior. However, though legal, and even when turned to the maximum of the adjustment, I didn't find the headlights very safe and started looking for a continental pair. Monsieur Stealer wanted over €550 each, so second-hand it had to be. My advice is to register on the French cousin of this forum and see if somebody's got a set. For info, postage for mine cost €17. PM me for forum details or if you need help translating.
Then, finding a French insurance that covers RHDs is not easy, and premiums are higher. But the biggest hurdle was getting the car registered over here. We deserve the red-tape-lovers reputation. Once again, PM if you need help in that matter.
Out of curiosity, whereabout in France are you?
Bon courage,

Boosh.

Ps: good decision bringing your Zed over. They seem to be worth more over here, even with the steering wheel on the other side. Prepare to turn heads!
Moomah

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Moomah »

Cheers All, and yes the little stickers are not accepted if registering it for french plates. We have already registered our landrover and Harley without problems, with just an advisory on our brakes for the LR. Simples :)

Boosh, I live in the Limousin Dept 23, you? Thanks for the advice
Last edited by Moomah on Tue 07 Jun, 2016 07:14, edited 1 time in total.
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Here it is: http://www.bmwz3club.fr/forum/
It doesn't seem to be as active as the UK version, but hopefully you'll find what you need.
I'm in Normandy, near Bernay (27300). Shout if you need any help.
Good luck with the parts hunt,

Boosh.

Ps: strange you are made to change the lights, my car passed the C T with UK headlights on. I was the one that decided to swap the units for much improved visibility. You surely would've come to the same decision, but it's probably more urgent that way. Good luck,

Boosh.
Moomah

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Moomah »

Are yours projector or flat beam headlights Boosh? If we can get it through a CT Bingo, did you make any alterations at all to get it through?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I'd also have a look at the German eBay for LHD headlights. If you use Google Chrome it will translate to English for you, if you aren't fluent in German!
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Moomah,
I did nothing to the car prior to the C T. I just turned up with original oem headlights and anti-dazzle stickers on. Only issue with the lights, and only verbally mentioned, was that the fog lights were a bit high. A couple other advisories (corroded handbrake cables and tank straps), but nothing concerning lights. Might just be worth having a friendly chat with your C T technician before booking the test.
As those parts can be difficult to source, going through the test first would put you in less of a hurry to find some.
Hope it works out,

Boosh.
Last edited by Boosh on Tue 07 Jun, 2016 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
Moomah

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Moomah »

BladeRunner919 wrote:I'd also have a look at the German eBay for LHD headlights. If you use Google Chrome it will translate to English for you, if you aren't fluent in German!
Thanks Bladerunner, my other half speaks German but Chrome Translate is a god send !
Moomah

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Moomah »

Boosh wrote:Moomah,
I did nothing to the car prior to the C T. I just turned up with original oem headlights and anti-dazzle stickers on. Only issue with the lights, and only verbally mentioned, was that the fog lights were a bit high. A couple other advisories (corroded handbrake cables and tank straps), but nothing concerning lights. Might just be worth having a friendly chat with your C T technician before cooking the test.
As those parts can be difficult to source, going through the test first would put you in less of a hurry to find some.
Hope it works out,

Boosh.
Many thanks Boosh, we will see what we can do.