Flashing Indicators once locked.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Flashing Indicators once locked.

Post by TitanTim »

It was MOT time again last Monday for which it passed ok. On Wednesday I got caught in a nasty rainstorm and once parked up had to open the boot briefly however it got pretty wet around the lock. Next morning when I locked the car at work after 20 seconds or so the indicators started flashing and wouldn't go off unless I unlocked the car. The only way to ensure they wouldn't come on again was to lock the car manually with the key rather than using the remote. Could water have got to the electrics/central locking somehow? I checked the bonnet alarm switch which looked ok but I gave it some lubrication to the pin and ensured the connector was tight. Once I locked the car with the central locking it looks to have sorted it for now Hopefully. Doing some Googling the causes can be the bonnet alarm switch, but also the crash sensor which turns on the hazards in the event of an accident which can can become faulty on older BMWs, hopefully it's not that.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Flashing Indicators once locked.

Post by Robert T »

Does your alarm siren work, as it sounds more like the alarm is trying to go off.

The only common water-related alarm issue I know of is the tilt switch being drowned in the left-hand boot well. That is not to say water couldn't have got in elsewhere.

Locking the car with the key doesn't set the alarm, so it may also be worth trying it set but with the interior movement and tilt switches disabled by pressing the lock button a second time a few seconds after locking the car.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Robert T wrote:Does your alarm siren work, as it sounds more like the alarm is trying to go off.

The only common water-related alarm issue I know of is the tilt switch being drowned in the left-hand boot well. That is not to say water couldn't have got in elsewhere.

Locking the car with the key doesn't set the alarm, so it may also be worth trying it set but with the interior movement and tilt switches disabled by pressing the lock button a second time a few seconds after locking the car.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply Rob,

I've no idea if the alarm actually works to be honest as never had a cause to test it, the boot is dry though. If its an alarm issue it would make sense as the indicators were flashing only when the central locking was set via the fob but not when locking with the key. The fact that I've fettled with the bonnet alarm switch and it seems to have cured it woud suggest it was the switch but then would suggest the alarm siren is faulty. Only way is to test it as I've no idea what it sounds like. As its pouring today and the zed is locked away I'll try it another time. As the alarm siren was silent when the indicators were flashing did make think it was the crash sensor which I think on BMWs is located near the steering column and seems they can develop a fault with age. It was a gooid job I turned around to look at the car as I was leaving the car park and spotted the indicators flashing otherwise it may have been a flat battery. Just seems coincidence the night before I was driving through torrential rain and wonder if there was an electrical short happening somewhere.

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

A little update, disconnected the bonnet alarm switch and that was the cuprit, looks like the alarms archilles heel on BMWs. I'm guessing the switch wears. Ordered a used one off ebay and see if that will cure it.

Oddly with the switch wired up you had to lock the car doors and boot seperately as the central locking wouldn't engage, as soon as I disconnected the switch and used the key to lock the car it engaged the central locking for the boot and passenger door :|

Tim.
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

A common fix is to replace with one from a X5 as they are slightly longer, or stick a pad above the switch on the bonnet, I did the latter
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Geoff H wrote:A common fix is to replace with one from a X5 as they are slightly longer, or stick a pad above the switch on the bonnet, I did the latter
Thanks Geoff, looking on RealOEM the switch for the Z3 has been replaced twice by latter versions, I'm guessing either they have become unavailable or have been modified over the years.

Tim.