drivers window

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

drivers window

Post by peter2b »

got a problem with the drivers window, this is the 2nd time it's done it when I lower it there is a bang and the window jams, when I took the door card off I could see the rear arm had come out of the plastic slider when I got it out the ball had brocken out off the top of plastic slider, I got 2 new ones fitted them with the clips window went up and down ok till yesterday, went to lower it bang after it lowered about inches I managed to lift it up as there was a cloud burst just starting, today I've taken the door card off only to see the rear arm ball sticking out below the slider it had brocken the top off the plastic slider, any one any ideas as to why it's doing this ,I can't see anything that could jam the system
peter2b
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: drivers window

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Double check that the bolts holding the mechanisms in place are all tight - when my sliders started to get stiff, I got the usual banging noise, and it was primarily caused by a bolt near the motor being loose, being made worse by the sliders sticking. When you replaced the sliders did you clean the old grease out (as much as is possible) and re-lubricate with white grease?
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

cheers , I did clean out the sliders but didn't check the nuts, bit late now as I'm off the le mans on Tuesdays early and at work on Monday , windows now up to top so I won't be using the drivers window just the passenger's
peter2b
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I'm afraid it might be something more sinister. The regulator mounting points can fracture on the door frame, particularly the barrel bolt most visible when you look into the inside. The whole regulator mechanism sways around then. All 3 points were broken on the 1.9 and I had to put a new door on. I've seen things riveted back together buts it's not pretty.

I hope this isn't what's wrong with yours.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

BladeRunner919 wrote:Double check that the bolts holding the mechanisms in place are all tight - when my sliders started to get stiff, I got the usual banging noise, and it was primarily caused by a bolt near the motor being loose, being made worse by the sliders sticking.

I agree, I had the same problem years back.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

nearly sorted fitted new sliders in but there is still a bit of a problem when I lower the window the front dips then the rear of the window follows I thing the front and rear guides are worn out so that's the next thing to try
peter2b
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

any one got the part numbers for the guides at each side of the window the front one look like it's part of the fixed window
peter2b