Window switches rewire

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
zz3po

Z3 roadster 1.8

Window switches rewire

Post by zz3po »

Hi all...
As part of replacing all the junk in my Z i got new green base window switches to replace my window switches.
As the old ones are not oem, they are wired totally different from the oem new ones.
Tried all kind of combination and couldnt find the way to make it work.
My zed have the 4 following wire colors: purple, red, black and brown.
The situation now is that i have 4 exposed wires that im trying to wire back to the green base window switch connector.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: Window switches rewire

Post by bertiejaffa »

why are you changing the window switches?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

What makes you think they are not OEM?

Wiring colours should be given in the ETM - see http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34176

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
zz3po

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by zz3po »

I bought the car with aftermarket universal switches... someone replace the oem switches cuz they tend to fall down into the console... now i replace the console to a new z3m so i want everything to be as it should.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Just had a look at the ETM for you - assuming that your zed is a 1997 1.8 as per your profile, then the pins on the windows switch are:

DRIVER'S SIDE
1 - SW/WS (black with white stripe) - from body electronics module pin 7 (goes to the switch part)
2 - VI/WS (violet with white stripe) - from body electronics module pin 6 (goes to the switch part)
3 - GR/RT (grey with red stripe) - from light switch (goes through backlight to ground)
4- no colour given - to ground

PASSENGER SIDE
1 - BL/GN (blue with green stripe) - from body electronics module pin 9 (goes to the switch part)
2 - WS/GN (white with green stripe) - from body electronics module pin 8 (goes to the switch part)
3 - GR/RT (grey with red stripe) - from light switch (goes through backlight to ground)
4- no colour given - to ground

I can't marry up the colours you have described with the above, and note that two of the wires for each switch are actually different, so we should be looking at 6 different colours of wire.

If the wires you are looking at are a single colour, then they are almost certainly not part of the original wiring harness and you will have to trace the wires back to where they are spliced into the main loom to find their true colours.

Note that the drivers window has slightly different functions to that of the passenger, so I would expect that they are labelled this way and the loom on the car swaps sides between LHD and RHD cars, thus driver's side is always the side with the steering wheel.

Cheers R.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Robert T wrote:
Note that the drivers window has slightly different functions to that of the passenger, so I would expect that they are labelled this way and the loom on the car swaps sides between LHD and RHD cars, thus driver's side is always the side with the steering wheel.
What's the difference - I'm sure mine both operate in the same way?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Do you need the window switches themselves? I have these available from a breaker so PM me if I can help.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

BladeRunner919 wrote:What's the difference - I'm sure mine both operate in the same way?
Just trying to find the details in the manual, but it seems I may be mistakenly thinking of the door locks. I thought there was some juxtaposition between being able to operate the windows and which door was opened, but it seems that "Actuation is still possible for up to 15 minutes in ignition key position 0 or if the ignition key has been removed, as long as no doors have been opened." :rtm:

The behaviour of the door locks does change between sides, so it makes sense that the window wiring also swaps over in the same way, thus what I said is still valid about it always being driver's and passenger sides and not left and right, albeit for a slightly different reason, that is what I was trying to get across, bearing in mind that zz3po's car is likely to be LHD.

Cheers R.
zz3po

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by zz3po »

Thank u all for your kindly replies...
My zed is 1997 1.8 manual Lhd.
My problem happend because i tried to put green bottom button from an e36. I assume they cannot be fitted in my zed cuz any combination of wiring didnt work out.
I found other buttons wich i assume are not oem but look just the same and fitted them, work perfectly!
Thank u all!
zz3po

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by zz3po »

Some pictures after all fitted!
Just left to install the leather Z oil distributer to make oil gauges work!